Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-03-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
STGS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas
Default Stock Markets

Dow is back over 26,000 for the first time in right at 3 months. Interesting to see the partial rebound (relatively quick). I wonder if there will be a retraction or if we will continue to see a bull market outlook with the potential to get back above 28,0000 by Q3.

Crude is back over $37 today as well. Hopefully we can break $40 in the coming days/weeks as demand picks back up.

Last edited by STGS; 06-03-2020 at 10:26 AM.
STGS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

Thinking Qtr 3 & 4 will be ok
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
ccbrown50
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by STGS View Post
Dow is back over 26,000 for the first time in right at 3 months. Interesting to see the partial rebound (relatively quick). I wonder if there will be a retraction or if we will continue to see a bull market outlook with the potential to get back above 28,0000 by Q3.

Crude is back over $37 today as well. Hopefully we can break $40 in the coming days/weeks as demand picks back up.
Interesting to say the least. I suspect a retraction, I hope I'm wrong but nonetheless will use the opportunity to invest more.
ccbrown50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora

I have been amazed at the markets. Lots of people out of work and hurting, but it continues to trend back up. I am almost back to where I was pre-CV. I'm still nervous but not as much as I was when it was plunging. I hung in and did not sell and i'm glad I didn't
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #5
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I have been amazed at the markets. Lots of people out of work and hurting, but it continues to trend back up. I am almost back to where I was pre-CV. I'm still nervous but not as much as I was when it was plunging. I hung in and did not sell and i'm glad I didn't
Put me in the same bucket. Pleasantly surprised.
Pin Oak DXT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
BLee15
Six Point

Hunt In: Cherokee & Crossplains

I feel like the stock market is fake. Not sure how unemployment was the highest it’s been since the Great Depression yet the market is just steadying going back up. Looks to be like a steep V pattern instead of a L like all these pro investors were predicting. I don’t see it going back down until election time possibly.
BLee15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
coldgas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hemphill Co

I watched a video last night showing how it is just a handful of stocks propping up the market. Amazon, Fb ect. I think once the bankruptcies start rolling in we are looking at a another good crash this fall.
coldgas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLee15 View Post
I feel like the stock market is fake. Not sure how unemployment was the highest itís been since the Great Depression yet the market is just steadying going back up. Looks to be like a steep V pattern instead of a L like all these pro investors were predicting. I donít see it going back down until election time possibly.
Resilient. The high numbers of unemployment as a result of COVID must have been people / jobs that didn't participate much at all, if any, in the market??
Pin Oak DXT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #9
No-Tox
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
Resilient. The high numbers of unemployment as a result of COVID must have been people / jobs that didn't participate much at all, if any, in the market??
Exactly.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #10
76aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co.

I can only hope and pray it continues to rise. I retire at the end of the year and have no retirement program. I have had to save and invest on my own for my retirement. What a time for the market to tank. Young folks have time on their side to recover from slumps in the market but when you are 65 you don't have the luxury of riding it out over the long haul. I have never deviated from my investment goals and it has been good over the long haul.

I really get honked off at the lemmings on the exchange. Someone barks and they all crap their pants and bail over the cliff.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 10:57 AM   #11
SabineHunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76aggie View Post
I can only hope and pray it continues to rise. I retire at the end of the year and have no retirement program. I have had to save and invest on my own for my retirement. What a time for the market to tank. Young folks have time on their side to recover from slumps in the market but when you are 65 you don't have the luxury of riding it out over the long haul. I have never deviated from my investment goals and it has been good over the long haul.

I really get honked off at the lemmings on the exchange. Someone barks and they all crap their pants and bail over the cliff.
I'm with you, old man. I retire this coming May but I have two retirement coming including SS.
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #12
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I'm back within 600 bucks of where I was when covid started.. but there's still a loss of interest for the last 6 months or so ..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #13
kae006
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, Wyoming

Quote:

At 65, I hope your allocation is in line with your retirement plans. What kind of percentage drop did your portfolio see in the last couple months?
kae006 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #14
STGS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldgas View Post
I watched a video last night showing how it is just a handful of stocks propping up the market. Amazon, Fb ect. I think once the bankruptcies start rolling in we are looking at a another good crash this fall.

Not sure I can agree that a "handful" of stocks are propping up the market. Take a look at what comprises the Dow 30, S&P 500 or Russell 2000. Very few, if any those stocks are up several 100's or 1,000's of % points. That is the scale a single or "handful" of stocks would need to raise those markets by double digits.

I think most markets have accepted the unemployment rates are short term in nature and a lot of the entities affected by the 30-90 day shut down will weather storm long-term.

Time will tell, but in the short-term, I will remain a buyer of equities.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #15
67olds442
Eight Point

Quote:

I'm no expert but if your that close you may want to look into some less risky investments
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 11:04 AM   #16
jay07ag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina & Gonzales Counties, TX; SW Montana

Looks like the markets are indicating that the covid is a hoax, otherwise they wouldnít project the growth they are counting on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jay07ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #17
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
probably a good point
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #18
jlp04c
Eight Point

IMO the stock market isnt an indicator of economic strength or even status.. its all together a seperate game with its own ebbs and flows.

Nobody in there right freakin mind looks out right now and says "stock market should be soaring!!! Times are good!!!".. yet here we are.

Its a shell game played by suits

Last edited by jlp04c; 06-03-2020 at 11:17 AM.
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #19
TD2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Star TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp04c View Post
I honestly get the feeling that the stock market isnt an indicator of economic strength or even status.. its all together a seperate game with its own ebbs and flows.

Nobody in there right freakin mind looks out right now and says "stock market should be soaring!!! Times are good!!!".. yet here we are.

Its a shell game played by suits
I disagree

I am in the healthcare field (not medical) and our business is booming

Yes we had one poor month in April

But is has been a steady climb since then, with May being at original budget and well above PYTD performance. June is starting off really strong.

Yes some industries may be slower starting, but look at the freeways and street traffic. The days of reduced congestion is over. Back to work
TD2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #20
Shakey Head
Spike

The sayings “Don’t fight the Fed” and “The stock market can remain irrational longer than you can stay solvent” come to mind.
Shakey Head is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #21
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Have you factored in what $6trillion of money will do for a market? The markets just needed time to figure out where and how that money was going to effect what. With $6trillion coming into the system, a million dollars once again aint what it used to be. But the number still sounds good to many.
rtp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #22
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

I kick myself in the arse every morning for not going all in when I was tempted to. I got busy and didnt pull the trigger on it. Im up 100% since jumping in a few months ago.
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #23
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I think the stock market is starting to yawn at Covid, just like everyone else who has any sense.
Throwin Darts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #24
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Not sure I can agree that a "handful" of stocks are propping up the market. Take a look at what comprises the Dow 30, S&P 500 or Russell 2000. Very few, if any those stocks are up several 100's or 1,000's of % points. That is the scale a single or "handful" of stocks would need to raise those markets by double digits.

I think most markets have accepted the unemployment rates are short term in nature and a lot of the entities affected by the 30-90 day shut down will weather storm long-term.

Time will tell, but in the short-term, I will remain a buyer of equities.
Also need to look at it like this.. Most small companies may be hurting real bad but most companies listed on stock exchanges are bigger and they will actually come out ahead after the dust settles by gaining more market share and less competition.

Plus inflation is hitting. Over time stocks need to adjust upward for inflation. Smart markets may be doing some of that adjusting now.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 02:10 PM   #25
deerplanter
Ten Point

I sold all my stock when China first started reporting shutting down in January. I then bought back when my company stock was at $20 a share. It just now topped $40 a share today. I have been a little nervous a time or two but I made a lot of money with that move.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #26
Tmitchell
Nubbin' Buck

I bought Sasol stock at $2/share a while back. It's risen to $7.65. It's my first foray into individual investing and I hope it keeps growing.
Tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #27
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmitchell View Post
I bought Sasol stock at $2/share a while back. It's risen to $7.65. It's my first foray into individual investing and I hope it keeps growing.
That one is my biggest regret. I was so tempted to buy at a little over $2 a share, but had it in my mind it was going to take another dip and waited.
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #28
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Ha. I told my dad that I thought Penn National Gaming was a good buy when it was under $5......I fooled around and didn't do anything and didn't buy any. Here we are 2.5 months later and it is $32+ share. Would have, should have, could have.......didn't! Oh well. I am no worse off than when I started but it would be nice to have an extra $50-60K in the bank.

Hoping oil continue to trends upward and the stock market continues to do its thing. If we can get over $40 for any length of time, I think people will start getting a little more active!
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #29
jlp04c
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TildenHunter View Post
Ha. I told my dad that I thought Penn National Gaming was a good buy when it was under $5......I fooled around and didn't do anything and didn't buy any. Here we are 2.5 months later and it is $32+ share. Would have, should have, could have.......didn't! Oh well. I am no worse off than when I started but it would be nice to have an extra $50-60K in the bank.

Hoping oil continue to trends upward and the stock market continues to do its thing. If we can get over $40 for any length of time, I think people will start getting a little more active!

SOOOOO painful.. I was watching that one as well..

Watched it go from 28 down to 4 and some change... I finally bought in around 15, held it for over a week or so, and finally unloaded it when it popped above 20... buzz kills me to see it steadily climbing!
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 04:55 PM   #30
PlanoDano
Six Point

Hunt In: TX, ID, CO

Quote:

I do not know. There was a false recovery in 1930 and there was a false recovery in march of 2009. One difference here is we have 3 trillion in new government stimulous + at least that much added by the federal reserve.

I am out because I cannot grasp the effects of 6 trillion added to the economy. I am holding some cash but my mind is telling me not to be in cash with so much new monies added.
PlanoDano is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #31
EastTexasMan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas - Pop Up blind & Old Mexico

I moved Into mostly cash and bonds today. Will buy back into stocks when we dip down to sub 2900 SP

EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 08:29 PM   #32
STGS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasMan View Post
I moved Into mostly cash and bonds today. Will buy back into stocks when we dip down to sub 2900 SP

Pretty aggressive move. S&P is only 7% above that entry point. I hate bonds so bad that I would rather be in cash or just ride the equity roller coaster. Bonds have too much risk and absolutely no upside in my opinion.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #33
EastTexasMan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas - Pop Up blind & Old Mexico
Default Stock Markets

Quote:
Pretty aggressive move. S&P is only 7% above that entry point. I hate bonds so bad that I would rather be in cash or just ride the equity roller coaster. Bonds have too much risk and absolutely no upside in my opinion.

I should of clarified, a bond index fund in my 401k for stability. I think we dip some more before we return to 3400 SP and 29k Dow, then Iíll move back into stock funds.We will see, maybe we wonít but I recovered all my COVID loss and then some so far.

EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #34
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

Canít complain about the rebound so far, but not all stocks have bounced like others. Still short of where it was but still put in monthly even during the downturn. Hoping it still goes up more.

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #35
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TildenHunter View Post

I went pretty heavy, at least for me, on Cracker Barrel and Royal Caribbean in early April. Both are looking great so far. Old people are ready to get back to eating out and cruising.

curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #36
Mary
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
I went pretty heavy, at least for me, on Cracker Barrel and Royal Caribbean in early April. Both are looking great so far. Old people are ready to get back to eating out and cruising.

LOL...I should have thought of this!
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-03-2020, 09:11 PM   #37
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
LOL...I should have thought of this!

Mom and Dad had to cancel a cruise with the grandkids....thatís when I knew I had a future winner.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:13 PM   #38
Mary
Administrator

Quote:
Mom and Dad had to cancel a cruise with the grandkids....thatís when I knew I had a future winner.

LOL....I know your mom and dad have been stir crazy!
Old 06-03-2020, 09:14 PM   #39
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
LOL....I know your mom and dad have been stir crazy!

If that woman donít turn off Fox News....Iím giving her Covid!!!!

Old 06-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #40
Mary
Administrator

Quote:
if that woman donít turn off fox news....iím giving her covid!!!!

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
lmao!
Old 06-05-2020, 08:24 AM   #41
lilavidhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs

Dow Futures up over 700 this morning.
lilavidhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #42
STGS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilavidhunter View Post
Dow Futures up over 700 this morning.
Dow up 675 points 5 minutes into trading. Payroll numbers were a surprise and the market liked them.... Interested to see if the positivity holds throughout the day. Friday's can be fickle.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #43
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

man for once in my life, i timed this one perfect. In january i sensed the covid thing would cause themarket to crash, so i transferred my funds that followed the S&P 500 to a more secure stable fund. When the dow hit 23,500 i transferred it back and man i'm loving live right now.

I had about 80k in that fund at the time so i'm getting some really nice growth right now... hope it does go back up to the 29000 range!
Hunter_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #44
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

AAL up 100% in the last 2 days. RCL up 50% this week. HAL is up 110% in the last month. Sure wish I would have bought some of those a month ago. Oh wait.....I did. Turned my $1200 stimulus into $2000 in less than a month.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2020, 08:55 AM   #45
STGS
Ten Point

Dow pushed through 27,000 with some relative ease. Again, I am anxious to see if we can close the day above that threshold. Time will tell.....

Last edited by STGS; 06-05-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:56 AM   #46
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas, in your stand when you aint there :)

I didn't invest much before all of this happened - but in April I bought a lot of Carnival, some RC, and American Airlines. Spent what I could comfortably lose and dang I wish I would have spent a lot more, but still happy with where I am sitting as of now. If it dips/crashes again, I will be putting more into it.
JTRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #47
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

AAL up 100% in the last 2 days. RCL up 50% this week. HAL is up 110% in the last month. Sure wish I would have bought some of those a month ago. Oh wait.....I did. Turning my $1200 stimulus into $2000 in less than a month if thing keep going the way they are.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #48
ccbrown50
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
AAL up 100% in the last 2 days. RCL up 50% this week. HAL is up 110% in the last month. Sure wish I would have bought some of those a month ago. Oh wait.....I did. Turning my $1200 stimulus into $2000 in less than a month if thing keep going the way they are.
I had AAL on my watch list with the intent to buy some this week. Set a limit buy and never got below the price margin I set.....dang
ccbrown50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #49
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

Past couple days have been awesome.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #50
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmjag64 View Post