.22 Mag Squirrel hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
    Too be honest all are none. You got to try them all. My finding it's not Winchester and my go to is Cci a22mag. But after 10 different boxes of testing.
    Rifles and ammo preferences is like guys with trucks, beer, and, uh, gals. So buy a box of each and start range testing. I hunted with one as a youth but only for a short while as it was too destructive. Now I use only .22LR and whatever ammo my rifle prefers, which is usually subsonic target ammo. Shot in the head knocks 'em dead.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodajh View Post
      Whatever you choose be sure to use FMJ for squirrels. Soft or hollow point will cut them in half.
      Yup...what he said.

Comment

.22 mag is gonna be a lot more expensive to shoot, and a whole lot louder. The few rabbits I've shot with a .22 mag tells me there would be much left of a squirrel unless you head shot him. What's wrong with a regular .22lr or even a high powered high end .22 air rifle. Guess shoot'n them "in town" pecan stealing squirrels is a little different then the wild ones out in the woods. All I know is there's a buzzillion of them where I deer hunt, but I've never thought about specifically going after the tree rats in the deer woods.
        Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 03-24-2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Oh these ain't no city squirrels... these are full on wild Trinity River bottom cat squirrels and the occasional fox squirrels I've been shootin'... That fox squirrel was taken with a .22 cal. Cricket with a head shot at 76 yards... He was DRT. The cat squirrels pictured were shot from very close range out to 85 yards with a .25 Cal. Cricket

Click image for larger version

Name:	AirGunKills-001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	24490079

Name:	AirGunKills-002.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	24490080

Name:	AirGunKills-003.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	24490081

Good for coons too... Got a night vision on the .25 cal. Cricket now and it's fun to shoot 'em in pitch black dark... They don't know what's goin' on and you can get several before they figure out something ain't right at the feeder... That pellet smackin' 'em up side the head makes a pretty good thump!

Name:	AirGunKills-004.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	24490082

Comment

Well I'm going to be turkey and varmint hunting as well.

Comment

I want one of those fx 25 cals bad

Comment

22 Magnum it depends on what grain your firearm suggest you use? Buy 50 rounds of however many different brands you can find. If your firearm manufacture does not suggest what grain to use buy different grains of same manufacture if possible. Then go shoot them at 100 yards for rifles. Handguns 8-25 yards? Bring something to drink & eat because your gona be there awhile.Shoot 10 rounds of brand X, write down results. 10 of brand Z, write it down down results. Rinse & repeat? Keep shooting without stopping until all your ammo is gone. I prefer not to use any "mechanical" devises to hold my firearms but there is nothing wrong with using them. There ain't a "YOU" factor that way? If you were shooting over 22 magnum I would not suggest this method of not stopping your arm would fall off.
                Semper fi and God bless!

Comment

Originally posted by big papa View Post
                  Well I'm going to be turkey and varmint hunting as well.
                  My wife's first bird was a huge gobbler with a .22 mag.

.22 mag I use CCI

It works. But when ammo was hard to find, I went to .17hmr.

Head shots on all coons and squirrels for me now with .22 lr. Cat squirrels are usually to fast, but it teaches you to be faster and better shot.

Comment

OP what gun do you have?

Comment

Like so many have said, if you have your gun buy a box of everything and try them all. For me it's a Winchester 9422M and Winchester 40gr hollow point, 5 shot 1/2" group at 100 yards. That combination shouldn't shoot that good but it just works.

Comment

In my Henry .22 Mag, Armscor is plenty accurate. I bought some because at the time it was all I could get. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy. Good enough to kill snakes in my pond at fifty yards.

Comment

My Marlin 25M seems to like any ammo I can get. But it mostly likes hornady 30 gr. with the plastic tip. But my gun has had a few mods done to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X