Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Matthews Triax - WOW!! (and sight recommnedations)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Matthews Triax - WOW!! (and sight recommnedations)

So my dad's bow got jacked out of his truck the week before Christmas.
    I gave him the Z7 that he had given me... with a fresh custom restring and paper tune and got to buy a new bow... WIN-WIN
    So I went to the shop yesterday and shot two Matthews bows, a Hoyt and an Elite... it's pretty crazy how different they all feel when shot back-to-back.
    The carbon Hoyt had a ring to it after the shot that was nuts... weird balance as well. The Elite stops like a concrete wall with a very soft draw cycle progression. The Z3 felt about like my Z7 did... no surprise there.
    The standout was the Triax. Amazing how smooth and quiet this tiny little bow (28") is. I really couldn't believe it. SOLD!
    Now I need a sight.
    My Z7 has a Vital Gear on it that I like some things about and not others. Single pin that comes in at 45 degrees gives a ton of sight picture-- best feature IMO. Fully adjustable individual detents allow any yardage set-up I want. The thing I don't like about it is the friction of the lever adjustment. It's hard to get it dialed right onto the mark because small adjustments tend to jump when the friction releases. I've tinkered and tinkered with it and no gains.
    So I'm probably going to leave it on my (dad's) Z7 and get something new.
    I like clear sight pictures and small pins mostly, though I am doing more spot and stalk hunting and think I'm leaning toward a hybrid with 3 adjustable pins so I have a menu of yardages available for a quick unanticipated shot or follow-up but the built in yardage range without a ton of pins in my face.
    Currently teetering between the CBE TEK-Hybrid Pro and Black Gold Ascent Verdict, but totally open to thoughts and ideas.
    Looking forward to some range time to get it broken in and figure out my stabilizer set-up.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 01-04-2018, 04:44 PM.

following, my Heli-m was stolen in September. Future Triax is on the radar

Comment

I got mines I love it!! BLACK Gold sights the way to go for me.
      Attached Files

Comment

MBG sights are nice, but look at Spott Hogg. They are a bit heavy, but they are super easy to adjust and very well built.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Also tuned in to this...looking at the Triax and contemplating the same BG Verdict and CBE Hybrid pro sights. Being use to 5 pin sight makes it hard to make the jump to a single pin. The CBE 3 pin seems extremely well built and the option of adjusting the lower pin out to longer distances seems nice but most my shots are well under 30yrds. That being said, a single pin may make more sense anyway which CBE makes also. Throw the Spott Hogg into the mix and totally confused.

Comment

Thanks, y'all.
            Anyone shot the Field Logic IQ?

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
              Also tuned in to this...looking at the Triax and contemplating the same BG Verdict and CBE Hybrid pro sights. Being use to 5 pin sight makes it hard to make the jump to a single pin. The CBE 3 pin seems extremely well built and the option of adjusting the lower pin out to longer distances seems nice but most my shots are well under 30yrds. That being said, a single pin may make more sense anyway which CBE makes also. Throw the Spott Hogg into the mix and totally confused.
              My dad just put a 3 pin Verdict on his bow and he likes it alot. I have a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL double pin, and it's my favorite sight I've ever owned. I'm not sure there's a wrong answer here...Good luck!

Comment

I love my Montana Black Gold single pin. Ive shot a 3 pin sight for as long as i can remember and was finally convinced to go to a single pin and wont ever go back. I love it.
                Im shooting the Halon 6 and i dont even have to move the pin on anything between 10-30yrds.

Comment

I just put a 3 pin on my black gold verdict and I love it. Black gold makes a very nice pin and the auto dimming shell keeps the starburst effect to a minimum in very bright light. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
                      I am using a 3 pin slider now after using a single pin for a few years. If you’re going to spot and stalk, I really recommend going to a moveable multi pin. You could always get a 5 pin slider and remove pins if it is too cluttered. Also, you can make whatever pin you want your “floater” I use my middle pin because I feel more accurate that way at long distances.

Comment

I put an Axcel AccuTouch 3 pin on my Triax. I'll be shooting it this wknd for the first time for distance.

Comment

Axcel accutouch single pin for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
                            Axcel accutouch single pin for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x2

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                              I am using a 3 pin slider now after using a single pin for a few years. If you’re going to spot and stalk, I really recommend going to a moveable multi pin. You could always get a 5 pin slider and remove pins if it is too cluttered. Also, you can make whatever pin you want your “floater” I use my middle pin because I feel more accurate that way at long distances.
                              This is what I'm thinking too.

I've always been a single pin fan for the sight picture, but I'm going on my first elk hunt this year and I've heard and seen a lot of opportunities that come from a bull getting spooked as it comes in close and then stopping at 30-40 yards to look back to see "whatever the heck that was."
                              Over those few seconds I think making an accurate yardage adjustment on a single pin might compromise the opportunity.
                              That thought has me leaning toward a multi (3) pin adjustable, where I have a menu of known yardages available for any given setting but also the range that comes with an adjustable that I can dial out to 70 or 80 yards or more.
                              This is what had me looking hard at the CBE.
                              Maybe the Axcel with Accu-stat 3 should be on the menu.

Comment

Working...
                              X