Crappie withdrawals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flex View Post
    So you guys don't use the lead heads with the spinner?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    I don't. Others might. "I've" just not had enough success with spinner blades of any type.

Sandbass, on the other hand, are a different story. Especially in the summer and fall. And Rooster Tails in the spring in creeks and rivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      I don't. Others might. "I've" just not had enough success with spinner blades of any type.

Sandbass, on the other hand, are a different story. Especially in the summer and fall. And Rooster Tails in the spring in creeks and rivers.
      Used to hammer whites on belton in college off rooster tails.

Have not gotten in many on Waco yet. And the ones we have were off minnows.

Going to fish the south bosque and jog creek tomorrow for crappie. Will try all the new setups and hopefully get lucky!

Comment

Crappie withdrawals

Originally posted by Flex View Post
        Hey guys, need some advice on jigs. Growing up in Louisiana we always caught crappie just off crickets and minnows, and beetle spins.

I'm newer to fishing them here and trying to jig anybody have recommendations on jigs, colors, etc?

Been using spinning jig heads, and the tube bodies.

Constant pursuit outfitters thump chubbies in white hot, shadowboy, and JB special fished on 1/16oz or 1/8 oz pink or orange heads.

Thermocline lures little frys or tadpoles in natural Shad. Purple passion. And pearl ice on rhe same heads above. Russell gates makes great heads as does Jerry Leblanc.

Bonehead slim sticks in Palesrine special. Paradise. Bluegrass. And silver flake with a chart tail or white tail And black ans chartreuse.

That will get you started on plastics!! Then you will want some hand ties!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left off copper mine from Thermocline Lures!! Had to beg him to make that color but after a few times getting whipped on if it finally made its way to the mold!!

Comment

Welp...I'm about to be poorer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
            Welp...I'm about to be poorer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Lol, same here!

Comment

Just got in with a good mess. Two fish shy of a limit. All caught on jigs in 2-3 foot of water on Fork.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170415_084258.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	24493151
                This is my only contribution to this thread. [emoji30]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Pink head with Bobby Garland electric chicken or blue ice.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Geez, busted *** jigging and minnows at every brush pile and stump south bosque to ridgewood, zero luck but two crappie. I think I have just lost the touch. At least got into some good sized whites right before dark! Would have had more but ran out of minnows!

Comment

Look out Cedar Creek slabs!! On the hunt with Chris Webb this morning on a trip Langdon won in a CAT raffle!!

Comment

Good luck Slew and crew!

Flex, at least ya got some whites.

Comment

We ended up with 40 keepers and probsbly 2x that many throwbacks! Fun stuff! Cedar Creek is a cool lake and Chris was awesome!! I wouldn't hesitate to book a trip with Chris! First class operation and people for sure!!

Comment

Awesome catch Slew!

I must say, those are some of the most "yeller", "black" and "white" crappie I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              Nice work Slew! You the boys and Skloss killed-em good!

Most of the time, I use some sort of leadhead in a dark or unpainted color. And add a tube type body to it. Weight depends on a lot of things, mainly wind. I've gone as small as a /1/64oz in fishing barges during the winter pending bait selection. I like a really small tube 1.5" that time of year too. But when it's getting close to spawning time, I go a little bigger to a 2". When I feel they've seen my jig to much in the spring, I also use a 2" curly-tail grub. Black and Charturse tubes have always produced larger fish for me vs. other colors, for some reason. Not sure why. My grubs are usually white. And double for sandbass sometimes. You can also rig them with a float with 1-3ft leader during the spring. Cast it to a likely location. Let it sit for a moment, then real back really slow and stop letting the float settel. a short twitch and let it settel. Then move it a couple feet again. If you don't get a bite, real it in and try again, or select another target. I've used clear plastic floats for doing that too sometimes. It leaves less of a surface shadow. But causes more ripple in the water to draw attention.

Deeper fish, I cast and do a very slow retrieve. Or a pitch and let it fall keeping the slack out of my line. If it drapes over an underwater limb, I pull it over very gently. And usually get strikes on the fall just after.

Very good info. Thanks for these tips

Comment

If any of you guys that are around Waco want to get together and fish let me know. Can hop on my boat or I can bring gas/beer/snacks/bait/etc.

I could use some pointers! I just want to be able to catch crappie! I work and live right next to Koehne park launch and can be on the water by 4 most days. And once summer hits I'm off for 3 months.

Comment

Working...
                                X