Yellowstone in spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellowstone in spring

I've been to Yellowstone/Grand Teton several times but always in the fall. My last trip was in 2011 and I was really disappointed in the elk show so other places became higher on my list. I saw Texas8point's thread and it made me want to go back but in late May. I'm looking for insight from others that have been especially if you know the area. I'm particularly interested in where the wildlife hotspots are in the spring and what popular trails might still be snowed in.

I'll be taking 2 weeks off and will be taking my time getting up there. I plan on stopping at Palo Duro and Rocky Mnt NP along the way and would also be interested in any spots I have missed in the past that are on the way.
    Last edited by WhiplashTX; 02-03-2018, 06:50 PM. Reason: fixed link

Ill never go back in May. When I went last week of May the lakes were still frozen, a lot of roads were still closed and we didn't have near enough clothes. Miserably cold but beautiful, it was like looking at a Christmas card scene. 3 yrs ago

Comment

If you've never been through Wind River Canyon, I would go. It's on your way. RMN Park is great also, you'll enjoy it.

Comment

We were there in May, saw a big boar grizz running across the road in front of us, he was headed to another grizzly that was in a creek, we had just seen a sow with a cub, (came in thru Cody) there's a lot of grizzlies roaming in May and you can still find good camp spots it's a great time to go, it will freeze at night but the days should warm up and be nice.

Comment

The last week of May is when the park usually opens for the first time, isn't it?
          I have wanted to go up there that week to fish the firehole and some of the warm waters that flow out the West entrance.
          I'm not sure I would take my family up there at that time though.

Comment

Yellowstone in the late Spring can be amazing. Best chance to still see grizzlies and wolves close to the road. With the little bit of snow we have had so far, should be a great time from May 20-June 5th. If you want to see elk and buffalo calves, then the end of June is best.

Here's the road opening dates from their website.

2018 Spring Opening Dates
            Conditions permitting, roads will open at 8:00 am on the following dates:

April 20: West Entrance to Madison, Mammoth to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon.
            May 4: East Entrance to Lake (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Junction to Lake.
            May 11: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), Tower Junction to Tower Fall.
            May 25: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass)
            May 25: Beartooth Highway

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
              Yellowstone in the late Spring can be amazing. Best chance to still see grizzlies and wolves close to the road. With the little bit of snow we have had so far, should be a great time from May 20-June 5th. If you want to see elk and buffalo calves, then the end of June is best.
              I guess you would be considered a local.

So is the snowfall way below average this year? How have the temps been? I've heard the bears will be hitting the biscuit root in the agricultural areas but haven't gotten any specifics. Any good places to look?

Comment

We went the last few days of May/first week of June in 2016. All roads were open but it was quite chilly still. We saw lots of bears (grizz and blacks), tons of bison (of course), really only saw elk up at Mammoth Hot Springs area. Saw one wolf at Hayden Valley on elk kill. My daughter (7 at the time) loved the trip and is begging to go back this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                  The last week of May is when the park usually opens for the first time, isn't it?
                  I have wanted to go up there that week to fish the firehole and some of the warm waters that flow out the West entrance.
                  Have fished the firehole several times 1st couple weeks of June and is fantastic!

Comment

I’ve been to Yellowstone in the summer and Late May and I by far prefer late May. My favorites are the drive from Mamoth to Gardiner and the Beartooth Highway (which is outside of the park). Do yourself a favor and spend the night and eat at Chico Hot Springs in Ptay, MT.

Late May before the crowds gets there is the best!

Comment

The park is open year round, but in may it's definitely open some of the campgrounds don't open until mid June but there's plenty places to stay in May, why wouldn't you take your family on May? Too chilly?

Comment

Come up in June. Still be lots of snow in spots, we may even get a nice heavy, wet snow while you're here. June is usually our last big snow month, meaning we get our last big snow in June. Rainbows and cutthroat trout will be spawning.
                        I would not come up in May as the park is just opening . We stayed at a cabin at Old Faithful for our son's and nephews high school graduation trip. You really need to go inside the Lodge at Old Faithful.

Comment

Originally posted by forest-hunter View Post
                          The park is open year round, but in may it's definitely open some of the campgrounds don't open until mid June but there's plenty places to stay in May, why wouldn't you take your family on May? Too chilly?
                          I guess I meant by late may the roads are fully open for the first time. But you are limited to just the roads for the most part. So if you want to stay outside the park and just drive through and see if from the road. That's perfect, as was mentioned, lots of wildlife will be down close and easy to see. If I'm going to bring the family I'd like to be able to park and hike away from the road and see more of the park.

Comment

Comment

I guess I meant by late may the roads are fully open for the first time. But you are limited to just the roads for the most part. So if you want to stay outside the park and just drive through and see if from the road. That's perfect, as was mentioned, lots of wildlife will be down close and easy to see. If I'm going to bring the family I'd like to be able to park and hike away from the road and see more of the park.
                              No Dave your not limited in may all the trails are open and most of the campgrounds are open.

Comment

Working...
                              X