Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mayhemsr View Post
    Woke up at 0430 took my usual scent free shower checked the weather and wind and then woke my brother in law up. we dressed while watching some hunting on tv and then headed to the truck. Gameplan was to watch the field and see what the does we're up to and maybe spot a cruising buck. Loaded a small coffee can of corn and the IR camera and planned to set it up to see what was around. Parked and walked in nice and quiet like, settled in the brush blind I had built for me and my son, wind was perfect and I sat and waited. Not but 10 min sitting there I see a doe across the field she moves down the trail and into the wood line. 10 more minutes and 2 big bodied deer come down same trail and into the wood line. I feel like a guide as I tap my BIL and tell h where to look to see the deer. The sun starts to rise and the woods come to life and I sit and just enjoy another morning of hunting not too cold but a bit muggy. We don't see anything for about 30 minutes and I turn to my BIL and say man I'm sorry I figured we see a lot more deer. So I get comfortable and do what most of us do when we are on stand and pull out the ole iPhone. Just as I'm scrolling through Facebook I look up and see a glint of antler through the cedars. I tap my BIL and point towards the cedar mouthing big buck. I grab my bow and my arrow slightly touches the cedar making a noise, the buck lifts his head and stares at the tree. I sit still and he eventually drops his head and conitinues to feed. I estimate him at 20 yards and get ready to draw. Something tells me to range him and I stop my draw and grab the rangefinder and range him. Dang it 31 yards I woulda been low. So I draw and the buck starts moving off, I grunt and he stops and I send the rage on his way. THWACK ! He is hit a bit forward than I would of liked but he bolts and I hear him crash. I pump my fists and high five the BIL. As the buck crashes a small fork horn comes charging in like he is the man . Kinda cool to watch. We find my arrow and of course the blood trail is easy with the rage. 40 yards later and there he is. Biggest buck with my bow so far. I was literally just talking with Matt yesterday how I was getting discouraged cuz All i was seeing was does. LOL
    What area did you get him in?

Comment

Originally posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
      What area did you get him in?
      Private land

Comment

Area Access out yet?

Comment

In the blind.

Comment

20ft up, waiting

Comment

Had a little fork horn come out at about 75 yards. First sit in that set, only been up since Sunday. Will be ba k in it Friday if its open.

Comment

Congrats Rey! Good stuff!

Forgot who asked, but 10' should be fine. Higher is always better, but 10 seems to be the point of diminishing returns. Doesn't hurt to be higher though.

Not much happening here in AL today. Optomistic about tomorrow. So we're eating catfish instead of venison. Maybe tomorrow. Son in law says don't shoot my bucks. Might get antler blind Nah, it his rodeo. Doe hamburger is the same as buck hamburger.

It's beer drinkin time in AL so no sense going against tradition.

Comment

Comment

Thanks Matt

Comment

Guess I won't be in my area on Friday, so looks like I will be in Lampasas. But, I will be in there on Saturday.

Comment

I still don't understand! The day after Thanksgiving and there are 13 areas closed! Hope somebody is getting promoted to have troops in the field this weekend!

Comment

HAppy Thankgiving to all of my Green Screen Brothers. May you all eat way too much Turkey, drink way too much wine, have way too much fun with family and friends........but most importantly.......now matter what you are having way too much fun doing.........take a minute before you eat and say a prayer for our fellow brothers that are seperated from their families and who are in harms way today.

Comment

Originally posted by TXArrowSlinger View Post
                            HAppy Thankgiving to all of my Green Screen Brothers. May you all eat way too much Turkey, drink way too much wine, have way too much fun with family and friends........but most importantly.......now matter what you are having way too much fun doing.........take a minute before you eat and say a prayer for our fellow brothers that are seperated from their families and who are in harms way today.
                            X2

Comment

Originally posted by TXArrowSlinger View Post
                              Couldn't of said it better.

Comment

Very well said Jason, very well said, bringing a young soldier out for dinner and I think Ben may show his ugly face for chow.

Comment

Working...
                                X