No announcement yet.

Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all, if the deer don't come in i got plenty of chicken killers that will make a mistake. I took him and his girlfriend to the taxi today and they should be done in about 10 months. It was good too fool a predator and get them within shooting range. Got 5 more to go, have several on the property.

Comment

I am gonna try to get one here one of these days. I think a fox would be a cool looking mount. I just gotta get a smaller caliber rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by FtHoodBowHunter View Post
        I am gonna try to get one here one of these days. I think a fox would be a cool looking mount. I just gotta get a smaller caliber rifle.
        What are you shooting?

The reason I ask is you may not need to get a different rifle. If your shooting a .223/5.56, a 30-06 or .308 there's a lot of ball/military ammo available. Go right through a fox. Exit wound will be about the same size as the entry. For other calibers, if large enough, you can order ammo designed for dangerous game and get the same results. Will not expand on something as small as a fox. There is also non-expanding ammo available for the .270. Who makes it slips my mind at the moment. Either way, it's all cheaper than another rifle.

An alternative is shotgun and buck shot. Cuts your range down, but does a nice job without causing a lot of major damage (other than killing what you shot).
        Last edited by EdO; 11-12-2012, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Wife liver shot a big 10 tonight going to have to go out tomorrow to find him went like 400 or so yards devices to back out

Comment

Originally posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
            Wife liver shot a big 10 tonight going to have to go out tomorrow to find him went like 400 or so yards devices to back out
            Bummer! Hope you find him afore the yotes do. That's one bummer about Texas hunting ... no tracking snow. GL in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
              Keep us posted brother. Hope y'all find him. I know Tammy is sick right now at the thought of not having her hands wrapped around them horns.

Good luck on the track bub.

Comment

Originally posted by montros View Post
                [ATTACH]419871[/ATTACH]
                Nice looking pup you got there Kevin. Congratulations bub. Now get out there and put some venison in the freezer!

Comment

If you are looking to downsize cheaply, go for a .17 HMR or a high cal pellet gun.

Comment

I got some advice from Matt to go to area 115. He sent me to a really good spot but got there to late. So on the fly I found another spot in a big field around 1530 well I get settled in and what comes walking around the corner. Another hunter. So me being nice decided to let him have the spot so now it's 1600. Got back in the truck and drove down the road. With it being so late. I stopped beside the road in the next field over and walked about 700 yards to the back corner of the field. now it's 1645 I just decided to sit down under a cedar bush to see what would happen around 1715 4 does come walking right by the cedar almost walked in my lap. Well around 1740 I looked to the right and could see horns walking away from me. So I hit the horns and well thats all it took. He was coming in on a string. I dropped him. Although he wasn't and giant he is awesome. Had split brows and 2 kickers off the base of his horns to make him a 12. Thanks Matt for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Hodge22

I was hunting this field in the morning and came back in the afternoon to hunt it again and did scent scent drag along tree line when I came to south side of field Hodge22 was sitting against a tree, I told him I had been hunting this field and he was a good sportsman and moved on. Thanks again and congratulations on your kill...

Comment

Well scratch that buck Hodge Rey Tammy and I combed all the area over there and didn't find him. Tammy's bummed about but we will get her back in the stand in no time laying down another one

Comment

Originally posted by 10132297 View Post
                          I was hunting this field in the morning and came back in the afternoon to hunt it again and did scent scent drag along tree line when I came to south side of field Hodge22 was sitting against a tree, I told him I had been hunting this field and he was a good sportsman and moved on. Thanks again and congratulations on your kill...
                          Hodge told me about that part today after talked to you on the phone

Comment

They shot a buck from 23 this evening nice looking 8 probably 5 years old. That leaves 1 buck for 23

Comment

Originally posted by EdO View Post
                              What are you shooting?

The reason I ask is you may not need to get a different rifle. If your shooting a .223/5.56, a 30-06 or .308 there's a lot of ball/military ammo available. Go right through a fox. Exit wound will be about the same size as the entry. For other calibers, if large enough, you can order ammo designed for dangerous game and get the same results. Will not expand on something as small as a fox. There is also non-expanding ammo available for the .270. Who makes it slips my mind at the moment. Either way, it's all cheaper than another rifle.

An alternative is shotgun and buck shot. Cuts your range down, but does a nice job without causing a lot of major damage (other than killing what you shot).
                              Shooting a .270

Comment

Originally posted by BenBen View Post
                                If you are looking to downsize cheaply, go for a .17 HMR or a high cal pellet gun.
                                I was thinking about a .17 HMR.

Comment

Working...
                                X