Rookie Camera Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rookie Camera Question

So I walked into Sam’s this weekend and saw these two cameras on sale. Are either a great deal? Are they good beginner cameras? I have never used anything more than a “point and shoot” and now my iPhone so I have no idea what to look for.

Sorry for the rotated pics. I have no idea why they are posting like this.
    Attached Files

I've had a Rebel for years and its pretty good. It is quick to set up and can be a point and shoot camera. I recommend it.

Comment

If you want something that is a starter body with the ability to add better lenses the Nikon is a great choice. I have an older model (5300) and it was perfect for me to learn the basics and now Im to the point that I am looking to step up to a full frame camera (more of a pro style camera). If you are wanting to get into photography and have a lot more control over your pictures, this is the route I would go. The Nikon does have a point and shoot mode just FYI. No experience with the Rebel.

Comment

I'm a Nikon guy, but if I could do it over again I would go sony mirror less. As a newbie that probably doesn't mean anything but you could probably get a Sony a6500 kit for a similar price. In my opinion, you'll get a little more bang for your buck.

But I started on a Nikon D3200. I like Sony and Nikon glass more than I do Canon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought a D5100 about 10 years ago for 3X that. Came with a 18-55mm lens, and I purchase a 70-300mm to go with it. Also bought some filters more for protection of the lenses than anything.

I can’t tell what the larger lens is in the Nikon package, but I wouldn’t go less than 200mm. But hey, once again, I paid 3X that price.

Comment

Either one would be a good starter camera with the ability to accept better glass in the future.

The suggestion for a Sony A6500 is a great one too but be prepared to spend a little more cash.

I'm a "nikon guy" and "fuji guy" but either of those are good options

Comment

The 75-300 in that Canon kit is actually a decent lens. Definitely enough there to get you started. It can easily become an obsession. I would also recommend getting Lightroom and watching videos to learn all the intricacies of shooting in full manual mode. Once you get the concepts, practice, practice, practice. Here one from last summer in South Africa with a Canon 60D and 100-400 II. I used a Rebel XTi for a long time until I upgraded to the 60D. I have now had this camera for about 6 years and have started looking at the 5D and 1D lines for my next one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X