Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default Testing New "Bullets" - GoldTip Pierce

Our buddy Jeff hooked me up with some new, heavier arrows to test ahead of my September elk hunt. I've been shooting 29" Beman ICS Hunter 340 shafts fletched with 3 Blazers and 125 gr. head, for a total arrow weight of around 436 grains.



I wanted a heavier setup, so after some research and talking to Jeff we went with Goldtip Kenetic Pierce 300s with 65 gr added to the insert fletched with 4 Fusion X II vanes. I'm going to test them with different head weights to see how they shoot, but total arrow weight will likely fall between 500-525ish grains.







I haven't chrono'd either setup, but I'll be curious to see how they fly compared to my current system.



I'm still trying to decide which broadhead to pair with whichever setup I decide to run. I'll post updates as I continue to test them!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Our buddy Jeff hooked me up with some new, heavier arrows to test ahead of my September elk hunt. I've been shooting 29" Beman ICS Hunter 340 shafts fletched with 3 Blazers and 125 gr. head, for a total arrow weight of around 436 grains.



I wanted a heavier setup, so after some research and talking to Jeff we went with Goldtip Kenetic Pierce 300s with 65 gr added to the insert fletched with 4 Fusion X II vanes. I'm going to test them with different head weights to see how they shoot, but total arrow weight will likely fall between 500-525ish grains.







I haven't chrono'd either setup, but I'll be curious to see how they fly compared to my current system.



I'm still trying to decide which broadhead to pair with whichever setup I decide to run. I'll post updates as I continue to test them!
Mods, please move this to the correct forum
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
Razorback01
Pope & Young
 
Razorback01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Johnson Co.
Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!
Default

Would that be the E&T maybe?
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
BURTONboy
Pope & Young
 
BURTONboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Ulm
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Mods, please move this to the correct forum
haha that's classic!

As for the setup, that should do the trick! my arrows are around 435 finished weight and I zipped one through both shoulders on an axis buck at 40 yards with Solid broadhead. So the heavier weight should really add plenty punch at impact. In for the discussion though.
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
AgBass01
Pope & Young
 
AgBass01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Round Rock, TX
Hunt In: Cuero, Brownwood
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Mods, please move this to the correct forum
AgBass01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
tommy1005
Ten Point
 
tommy1005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Stonewall Co.
Default

I went from a 400gr setup to a Easton Axis 300 with a 75 grain insert and a 150 grain German Kinetic XL broadhead for a finished weight of just over 550 grains. I have now run those arrows through an elk at 59 yards (buried to the fletchings), and a black bear at 23 yards (complete pass through). My bow is also quieter with the heavy arrow and Iíll trade the speed for the quieter bow and absolute penetration. I will not be going back to a lighter arrow from now on.
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Mods, please move this to the correct forum
I'd be happy to consolidate the E&T forum back here if that makes you happier.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
Traildust
Pope & Young
 
Traildust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alvin, Texas
Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'd be happy to consolidate the E&T forum back here if that makes you happier.
Joking Boss....jus' joking
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Slick8
Pope & Young
 
Slick8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, Texas
Hunt In: In the woods
Default

Interested to see what BH you go with.

I'd be hard pressed to not use the 125 Ramcats. They fly straight and kill good. My only concern would be if making those last second moves with a knocked arrow you must be careful not to snag anything as it will reverse the blade. I've done this while spot and stalk hunting hogs in the thick stuff.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 09:40 PM   #10
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point
 
muddyfuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: gulf coast
Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA
Default

Nice upgrade, youíll probably end up not going back to the lighter setup after shooting the new one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muddyfuzzy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 06:29 AM   #11
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'd be happy to consolidate the E&T forum back here if that makes you happier.
I wish you guys would, the traffic over there is slow.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #12
RJH1
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abilene
Hunt In: Abilene area
Default

When you chrono them, let us know your speed and bow specs (IBO), i am thinking about doing something similar. I use 540 grain total weight arrows on my recurve and even at 180FPS they zip right through critters. I think i want to keep my compound up around 260 FPS though, don't know how heavy i can go.
RJH1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
Stolle
Pope & Young
 
Stolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Sutton County
Default

Tuned in! I'm thinking about doing the same thing for Africa. Switching back to full metal jackets or maybe these if you like them.

What bow are you shooting now a days?
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #14
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
Tuned in! I'm thinking about doing the same thing for Africa. Switching back to full metal jackets or maybe these if you like them.

What bow are you shooting now a days?
I'm shooting the Mathews HTR Nocam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
When you chrono them, let us know your speed and bow specs (IBO), i am thinking about doing something similar. I use 540 grain total weight arrows on my recurve and even at 180FPS they zip right through critters. I think i want to keep my compound up around 260 FPS though, don't know how heavy i can go.

I don't want to drop much below that, either. I'd like to find a happy medium with a heavy-ish arrow that flies well but still keeps my pin gaps reasonable at longer yardage.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #15
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

KifaruCast is doing a very timely series on broadheads, with yesterday's first guest being Ironwill Outfitters' Bill Vanderheyden. It was a very interesting discussion and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series as I narrow down my broadhead choice.

Thanks for all the great feedback!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:52 AM   #16
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young
 
JTeLarkin08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aledo
Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
KifaruCast is doing a very timely series on broadheads, with yesterday's first guest being Ironwill Outfitters' Bill Vanderheyden. It was a very interesting discussion and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series as I narrow down my broadhead choice.

Thanks for all the great feedback!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know a guy who shot the GT Pierce/IW combo last year.. I hear it worked
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #17
Michael
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Home: Hallettsville, TX Photo/Video: Canon 7D DSLR
Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default

Yep, that seemed to work out ok for that guy!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com