Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default Malinois Belgian Shepherds

Who has one and where did you get? Thinking about getting one as a family/guard dog. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
txhunter90
Eight Point

I looked into them long and hard as I wanted to get one for the house. If you do not have a firm hand and have a lot of time to spend with one wouldn't suggest it. They call them maligators for a reason, can be destructive if not enough exercise.
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunter90 View Post
I looked into them long and hard as I wanted to get one for the house. If you do not have a firm hand and have a lot of time to spend with one wouldn't suggest it. They call them maligators for a reason, can be destructive if not enough exercise.
I have read that. I live out in the country on couple hundred acres and have a lab that could keep him occupied. Would have plenty of room to run and play. Thanks
Old 07-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
Charrison
Four Point

I don't have a Belgian Malinois, but have had the Groenendael variety of Belgian Shepherds (There are 4 types of Belgians). Have had a bunch of them the past 20 years and they are my favorite breed of dog. But they aren't for everyone.
Requires a lot of socializing as a puppy and dominance training from the owner. However, if you've got the time, you won't find a better breed. I have no fear of anyone entering the house who doesn't belong. She hits the front door like she is going to kill someone. Nice to have when randoms walk up and knock. She also herds my 3 year old in the yard if he gets too close to the street.
Law enforcement has gone toward the Mals b/c of their short coats- long black hair has become a condiment in our house!
They really are great peace of mind when my wife is home with the kids alone. Let me know if you have specific questions- We are breeding my ***** in a couple of months with a woman in Breckenridge who has kept our line going for the last 20 years or so (all of my dogs come from the same lineage). Good luck- great dogs!
Charrison is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
67olds442
Four Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

I looked into them and decided on a GSD instead. They are a true working dog and need a firm pack leader. Look for some videos on you tube. I exercise my GSD for atleast an hour a day and he still gets bored. I cant imagine a malinois. Good luck
67olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67olds442 View Post
I looked into them and decided on a GSD instead. They are a true working dog and need a firm pack leader. Look for some videos on you tube. I exercise my GSD for atleast an hour a day and he still gets bored. I cant imagine a malinois. Good luck
What is GSD?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
What is GSD?
I'm no expert!

Google says
German Shepard Dog

Last edited by Pushbutton2; 07-12-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
I'm no expert!

Google says
German Shepard Dog
Thats kinda what I was thinkin
Old 07-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
k9trainer
Pope & Young

Don't do it. Most folks see a highly trained one on tv or videos and instantly go out and buy one. They are working dogs and should have tasks and daily work. Get a good shepherd and find you a trainer that can help attain your goals. You're looking at years to get where you want. You'll have to choke so much drive out of that mal that you'll just be better off with the GSD
k9trainer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #10
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9trainer View Post
Don't do it. Most folks see a highly trained one on tv or videos and instantly go out and buy one. They are working dogs and should have tasks and daily work.
While I dont disagree the same could be said for Lacys. The amount of Lacys needing re-homed on FB is down right despicable.
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #11
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

European working line GSD. German Shepherd Dog. 1/2 DDR 1/2 Czech. Ama,ing animal. High drives and needs lots of exercise. They are better suited for pets.....although not for the weak. Malanois' are amazing dogs but are very high drive and some do not have an off switch. The name is Belgian Malanois. There are also Dutch Shepherds and Belgian Shepherds.

I would say stick with the GSD......but not American lines. They are not true rep of what. German Shepherd Dog is supposed to be.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 07-12-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Quote:
Don't do it. Most folks see a highly trained one on tv or videos and instantly go out and buy one. They are working dogs and should have tasks and daily work. Get a good shepherd and find you a trainer that can help attain your goals. You're looking at years to get where you want. You'll have to choke so much drive out of that mal that you'll just be better off with the GSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
While I dont disagree the same could be said for Lacys. The amount of Lacys needing re-homed on FB is down right despicable.
This!!
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #13
k9trainer
Pope & Young

Quote:
But we aren't talking about lacys
Not really a fan of lacys anymore. Going thru what is happening to the mal right now. Popularity kills working breeds.
k9trainer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #14
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Does not play well with other dogs. Lol.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #15
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Do not get one of these.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks for your input
Old 07-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #17
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
European working line GSD. German Shepherd Dog. 1/2 DDR 1/2 Czech. Ama,ing animal. High drives and needs lots of exercise. They are better suited for pets.....although not for the weak. Malanois' are amazing dogs but are very high drive and some do not have an off switch. The name is Belgian Malanois. There are also Dutch Shepherds and Belgian Shepherds.

I would say stick with the GSD......but not American lines. They are not true rep of what. German Shepherd Dog is supposed to be.

Thanks Billy
Old 07-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #18
Sika
Pope & Young

Quote:
Not really a fan of lacys anymore. Going thru what is happening to the mal right now. Popularity kills working breeds.
Absolutely, hype about the breed has resulted in two extremely unfortunate situations: working dogs being sold under false pretenses to pet homes, creating difficult living situations that often lead to the Lacys being surrendered; and previously solid lines being watered down, slowly degrading the breed as a whole. The cutesy pet owner bs on facebook makes me gag.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #19
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

If you're not prepared to spend tons of time training and working with it. I wouldn't get one.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #20
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
Absolutely, hype about the breed has resulted in two extremely unfortunate situations: working dogs being sold under false pretenses to pet homes, creating difficult living situations that often lead to the Lacys being surrendered; and previously solid lines being watered down, slowly degrading the breed as a whole. The cutesy pet owner bs on facebook makes me gag.
Right on!

Look what happened to labs
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #21
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Right on!

Look what happened to labs
This happened to the GSD first and to a much larger degree. Americans, the AKC and backyard breeding destroys breeds.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #22
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Get a wolf.
Then you can get the tshirts, window decals and tailgate murals.
pull serious tail with those..
they might eat the kids...so you will have to weigh the pros and cons...daycare prices arent comin down though...just sayin...
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #23
Sika
Pope & Young

Quote:
This happened to the GSD first and to a much larger degree. Americans, the AKC and backyard breeding destroys breeds.

I would argue it's not the registry bad judging at dog shows, where judges tend to pick dogs with flashy exaggerated features vs. what is correct and functional...but that's way besides the point.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #24
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Look at the Irish setter
Pushbutton2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #25
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
I would argue it's not the registry bad judging at dog shows, where judges tend to pick dogs with flashy exaggerated features vs. what is correct and functional...but that's way besides the point.
Yeah. The AKC stresses breeding for a specific look. In Germany even the show lines have to work and be titled in IPO.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #26
joel45acp
Six Point

Hunt In: Duval Co

My first K9 partner was a single purpose female Mal. and was an awesome partner. After she retired my Dept. got me a dual purpose male (detection, patrol) and he was a beast. If you dont have the time, energy, devotion for a Mal. don't even think about getting one. They have a very high prey drive that'll drive you nuts if you don't have the training. Both of mine came from Global K9 at the tune of 9k for my first partner and 15k for the second.

Both are sorely missed. ;(
joel45acp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #27
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel45acp View Post
My first K9 partner was a single purpose female Mal. and was an awesome partner. After she retired my Dept. got me a dual purpose male (detection, patrol) and he was a beast. If you dont have the time, energy, devotion for a Mal. don't even think about getting one. They have a very high prey drive that'll drive you nuts if you don't have the training. Both of mine came from Global K9 at the tune of 9k for my first partner and 15k for the second.

Both are sorely missed. ;(
Beautiful dogs. I think y’all talked me out of the Mal and more into the GSD
Old 07-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #28
jwood02
Four Point

Hunt In: Honey Grove

I love my GSD. He is one generation out of Germany and is almost solid black. Be careful and find a good breeder with the right bloodlines. As said before, the breeding has been watered down a lot in some cases.
jwood02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #29
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

I will chime in and Echo what others have said but I will just come out and say if your looking for a pet, please don't get one.

I have had my female close to 4 years and everything we are telling you is spot on, beyond imaginable prey drive and energy, will make short work of any kennel you devise, takes a huge amount of personal time to train you, as well as the animal. I did breed her once and almost every pup went to depts. and corporate teams. 2 of those pups reside locally in DFW and get a massive amount of attention daily. Please take special note without a lot of work and a strong leader they are highly destructive and dangerous and that can lead down a very bad road for everyone involved.
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #30
Eric Pence
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

I don't have a Belgian Malinois but my sons best friend has 2 if you ever want to come up to DFW on a Sat or Sun and see them in action(Training with the bite suit on at his estate) just let me know..They were at my house on Sat but I did NOT let my dogs interact with these animals..These dogs have had extensive training and it cost a fortune for the training that they have put them thru.
(Kids dad is a Multi-Millionaire) these dogs are used for protection mainly, the
female(3 yrs old)they wanted to gift to my son (I did not agree).
The male is 5 and was taught not to bark or show aggression until the actual attack (That's the quality they didn't like about the female and the reason for them trying to gift them to my son Ty) ..If I wanted a dog to protect me these would be Great,but for a normal dog that might have interaction with other animals and at times left alone without me around I would not have one.(I am sure some of them aren't as On/Off as these two and might be great pets but I was never comfortable around them )
Eric Pence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #31
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood02 View Post
I love my GSD. He is one generation out of Germany and is almost solid black. Be careful and find a good breeder with the right bloodlines. As said before, the breeding has been watered down a lot in some cases.
X number of generation out of German is how they described it in the 80s. LOL.

My dog is out of Iltis von Der Wildsau aka Wolf on the top and has zPohranichni Straze lineage on bottom.

As with the Mal, the Euro working line GSD can be too drivey for a family pet. The good breeders test the pups and place them accordingly as they score. My dog scored a 3 out of 5. Two females in his litter scored 1s and were placed in police departments.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #32
67olds442
Four Point

https://youtu.be/8HLcFZNje_w
Old 07-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #33
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Interesting history of DDR and Czech lines.

http://www.sequoyahk9.com/ddr_history.htm

https://www.vomberkhaus.com/gsd-history

This is a great breeder in Arizona with direct ties to Jiri Novotny in the Czech Republic.

http://www.alpinek9.com/

There are some decent kennels in Texas with less expensive dogs.....like mine.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #34
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

I was thinking one of the TBH brothers in Weatherford either bred them or trained them. I am sure I will guess wrong, but for some reason I am thinking his name is Tuffbroadhead or something like that.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:36 PM   #35
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67olds442 View Post

Awesome dog.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #36
Ronnie
Six Point

Hunt In: La. & Texas

Don't listen to anyone that's never owned one. You'll never own a better dog than a malenois. I've had them in my house for twenty three years. Extremely clean, intelligent, faithful and obedient.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #37
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Sorry dude but the GSD is a far more versatile breed.

Smarter and better looking as well. LOL.

Name:  12369202_10206970063982366_1767853834277045529_n.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  36.7 KB
Old 07-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #38
Eric Pence
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Quote:

Attachment 915331
Dang that is a Pretty Dog..Love the Black face
Eric Pence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #39
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

They look like bad arse dogs, I just don’t have the time to invest in one.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #40
Ronnie
Six Point

Hunt In: La. & Texas

10-4 on the lol.
Quote:

Attachment 915331
Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #41
67olds442
Four Point

My pup right at a year old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #42
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

The way people over generalize traits of dog breeds would be comical if it wasn't such a disservice to the dogs themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #43
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

Quote:
Does not play well with other dogs. Lol.

Beautiful dog right there
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #44
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pence View Post
Dang that is a Pretty Dog..Love the Black face
The racoon eyes.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #45
jwood02
Four Point

Hunt In: Honey Grove

I think like all discussions on here, it will boil down to personal preference and what you want. I originally looked at getting a Mal, but after speaking to the breeder I was looking at, he talked me out of it. I have 3 kids and was looking for the same thing as you. I grew up with GSD's and wanted something a little different, so I looked at a Mal. As said above, if you have the time and skill needed to train, go for it and you will love it. If you don't, look at something else. My GSD is 2 years old and loves herding my 1 year old daughter, chasing bubbles and will come when called, even off leash. We can all go back and forth on who is right and which is best about guns, bows and dogs. Bottom line is do your research and chose what is best for your family.
jwood02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #46
Stick'n'String
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County

Quote:
Agreed. I let my lacy out to roam on 40 acres as soon as I get home from work. She is constantly roaming, hunting, or harassing the livestock. Thank goodness she only herds the chickens, ducks, and geese around. She hasn't killed any of my birds. And she hasn't been kicked or trampled by the horses... yet. I'm afraid it's a matter of time before a horse finally catches her with a kick. But she's by far the best d@mn hunting dog I've had.
Stick'n'String is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #47
Texas Tracker
Pope & Young

I will put in my 2 cents. I have trained all kinds of breeds Labs GSD Mutts and now Standard Poodles. The breed the we put in the most time was the GSD. High drive means a lot more time you have to spend with them. Look at a breed that will do the job you want them to do. Not because it is a popular breed or because so and so has one. One of the best guard dogs I have ever had was a half GSD half Collie. She was just a bad *** but you could bring any small child around her without fear of her hurting them. To many people get " the popular breed of the day and end up surrendered them because the can not handle them witch makes me sick. That being said I am a big fan of the Standard Poodle. Smart easy to train protective of their people and place dose not shed and will hunt. What ever you get spend as much time as you can with them it will pay off in the end.
Texas Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #48
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Expanding on what Rig said...….it's not just the breed but the lines within the breed. You can get pet lines in GSD.....or show lines that are not high strung and drivey. You can also get West German working lines that are just as crazy as Mals.

For just a pet the west German show lines are great. As stated earlier, they have to be able to work and be titled in IPO/Schutzhund in order to be bred in Germany. I had one before my currecnt dog. Huge at 105 lbs. Gorgeous. Not a mean bone in his body. However he would bark at strangers and his look was intimidating enough to ward off the bad guys.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #49
txhunter90
Eight Point

Quote:
Yeah. The AKC stresses breeding for a specific look. In Germany even the show lines have to work and be titled in IPO.

German lines are the only lines I have looked at specifically out of Germany. All of their lines have to work first and foremost, looked at some Jagd, teckel, and GSD from Germany. To many American breeders are solely in for looks. The Germans have got it right hopefully more people around here will follow.
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #50
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Yep.

Love me some German breeds.

If I ever own another breed it would be a Doberman or Rottweiler.