Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #1
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co
Default Cmon Academy ???

Manager stops a thief from leaving the store with a firearm and is fired for violating policy of putting hands on a “customer” ???

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/11...wyer-says.html

Last edited by txwhitetail; 07-11-2018 at 09:30 PM.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
kruppa24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho

Dang that is pretty sorry
kruppa24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Manager stops a thief from leaving the store with a firearm and is fired for violating policy of putting hands on a ďcustomerĒ ??? Anyone know if this is the same Academy stores we have in Texas?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/11...wyer-says.html
Almost all retail stores have this exact policy

We were told (at gander back in the day) if you see a thief and try to stop them you will be fired immediately.

Itís due to possibly being sued by the thief (Murica!)
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #4
quackadikt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

It was store policy when I worked there to not confront theives.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
quackadikt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

I’m pretty sure that is for all if not most stores. When I worked for Cabelas loss prevention/security team, we were instructed time and time again to not touch a person no matter what they did. We had to ask them to return to the store so we could question them. Saw many people just make a run for it but the cops were usually there before we tried to stop the thief.

Worse thing was, we would sit and watch the 200 plus cameras and see the person steal red handed. If they attempted to get physical we had to just let them go.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
chunkinlead
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills Co.

Iím guessing it is. I do know when I worked there in college employees could literally watch someone steal something, but couldnít intervene in it. Just had to go tell the off duty cop or security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chunkinlead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #7
TXHunter12
Ten Point

Things have definitely changed! Back in the day this wasn’t the rule.

Now God forbid an employee that wants to protect the store !
TXHunter12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Academy would rather the guy leave with the gun and ammo and shoot up a school or no telling what. I’m not doubting it’s the policy. BS
Old 07-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #9
MetalMan2004
Six Point

On the plus side, I have a feeling this guy will be getting some job offers from a few private companies that think more highly of his actions than Academy did.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Imagine this - Academy has no official policy about not attempting to detain shoplifters. An employee gets shot while trying to stop said shoplifter. Family of shot employee sues Academy for a zillion and wins. In the world of retail loss prevention, losing a few hundred dollars worth of merchandise is the lower risk option
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #11
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

That's what wrong again
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #12
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Have a friend that used to work at Lowes in Cypress. Said folks would load a cart with tools and just waltz out the door because of this policy
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #13
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
Imagine this - Academy has no official policy about not attempting to detain shoplifters. An employee gets shot while trying to stop said shoplifter. Family of shot employee sues Academy for a zillion and wins. In the world of retail loss prevention, losing a few hundred dollars worth of merchandise is the lower risk option
I understand the policy. What I don’t understand is not ooking at the totality of the circumstances when assessing punishment. The guy had already stolen other firearms earlier that morning. He wasn’t headed out for a rabbit hunt.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #14
Crazy Horse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr & Lavaca County

yep it happens...

saw a kid at the League City Kroger's get fired, because he pushed his big rack of shopping carts in front of a car parked out front, while their buddy was inside stealing a huge blue tote full of allergy medicine...

manager said company policy with zero tolerance...

I have not been back to that **** store since...
Crazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 10:36 PM   #15
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Quote:
I understand the policy. What I donít understand is not ooking at the totality of the circumstances when assessing punishment. The guy had already stolen other firearms earlier that morning. He wasnít headed out for a rabbit hunt.
I am certain they did and that is part of the problem. He stopped him without even knowing what was going on. You have been into Academy do you think they want the employees determining who should be stopped? I am not saying itís right but I definetly understand there logic. I am sure as mentioned itís a zero tolerance policy and the last thing they want is to set that presidence for other employees.
myway is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 10:39 PM   #16
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by myway View Post
I am certain they did and that is part of the problem. He stopped him without even knowing what was going on. You have been into Academy do you think they want the employees determining who should be stopped? I am not saying itís right but I definetly understand there logic. I am sure as mentioned itís a zero tolerance policy and the last thing they want is to set that presidence for other employees.
So letting folks leave the store with a .40 and ammo for it is a good idea? Iím sure someone stealing pistols and ammo intends well when they leave the store.

Does the policy change if this guy leaves the store goes across the street and shoots up a school?
Old 07-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #17
hunter1313
Four Point

Hunt In: Red River Countty

Quote:
But put the shoe on the other foot. Employee sees thief steel gun and ammo and does nothing and said thief loads gun and shoot customer in store. Who is liable? Store or employee that did nothing? I think it is BS that he got fired.
hunter1313 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #18
myway
Ten Point

Quote:
So letting folks leave the store with a .40 and ammo for it is a good idea? Iím sure someone stealing pistols and ammo intends well when they leave the store.

Does the policy change if this guy leaves the store goes across the street and shoots up a school?
I donít believe I said that. From what I gathered from the article he didnít know why he was stopping him other than someone yelled stop him. Well that and he is selling his house. Itís obvious the guy was up to no good and obviously stopped a weapon from going on the street obviously a good thing.
In regards to youíre second statement I think speculation is was they are trying to prevent.
I totally get youíre point I am just looking at from both sides. I agree there should have been a ďwarningĒ and swept under the rug.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:28 PM   #19
cfortner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Voss

The article states he stole two handguns from a Cash America Pawn (45 and 380), then 4 hours later attempted to steal a 40 cal and ammunition from Academy but was foiled (I don't have a Thor Thunder mustache heheheh).

When they searched his vehicle they found the 45 caliber that was stolen but not the 380. That likely means there is someone who is in possession of a stolen 380 that knows it's stolen. In whom's hands was that 40 cal going to end up?

This guy should be treated like a hero, instead he's being railroaded because of our litigious society.
cfortner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 11:58 PM   #20
cj_sandman
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfortner View Post
This guy should be treated like a hero, instead he's being railroaded because of our litigious society.
I believe this sums everything up quite nicely
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #21
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_sandman View Post
I believe this sums everything up quite nicely

When I lived in North Carolina Dicks was the nearest place for me to shop. I got to know the lodge manager very well and he seemed like a guy who had made some money in another career but got burnt out and went to work at a sporting goods store. I went in and asked for him by name one day and they said he was fired for stopping a guy in the parking lot who had stolen a ladies purse. I ran into him later and he said he went back to doing what he did before making 4 times as much and didnít have the headache.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 01:42 AM   #22
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

The fact that a gun was being stolen definitely muddies the water on employees not stopping thieves. Although, it actually reinforces reasoning to not intervene as an unarmed, untrained retail employee.

General point of the policy in most retail stores is to not put employees' lives at risk over merchandise. Who knows what will happen in a confrontation with a criminal, who may be armed, mentally imbalanced and/or chemically addled? Furthermore, pursuing such an individual may cause collateral harm to innocents from a panicked get-away. Typically, certain trained individuals such as "loss prevention" personnel, and possibly some members management may be trained and allowed to interact directly with suspected shoplifters.

Betting -- and hoping -- that the particular manager in this case will find employment soon.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #23
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch,Menard Counties

Academy should arm their managers. That way they wouldn’t have to touch the thief. Either surrender or get shot.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #24
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

This ain't the typical shoplifter taking some clothes. Those deserve a good beating just like the lawyers who defend them. This one trying to steal a gun is a much bigger issue. With all the anti gun rhetoric, Academy policy is to just let some thug walk out with one? Sickening.

Last edited by FVR JR; 07-12-2018 at 08:11 AM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #25
Outlaw_6
Ten Point

Hunt In: LA and "The H"

Not following company policy = not being employed.
Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #26
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

IMHO, having a policy that allows a thief to waltz out your door with a stolen firearm should jeopardize your FFL. I'm not saying that theft should cause you to lose your FFL, but having a policy that does nothing to impede that theft should.
ultrastealth is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #27
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Academy should arm their managers. That way they wouldnít have to touch the thief. Either surrender or get shot.
Have you seen some of these Academy "managers" and threads about them? LOL

I don't care if he was stealing a gun or pack of bubble gum. Simply stupid when stores can't stop shoplifters.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #28
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

What if it wasn’t the policy and the policy was now shoot, detain, stop, or whatever means necessary? I can’t imagine that being a good policy either. An employer is responsible for eliminating and/or reducing risk. If things would of went south and gun fire broke out, then that’s really bad. Now headlines read, “4 year old girls caught in crossfire but Academy employee”. No way an employer of this size can condone this action. Right or wrong, they are in a tough place. Can you imagine a civil lawsuit of a dead child? Just my opinion. For the record I would of been fine if the prep received 4 in the back of the head.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #29
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Yup. I worked for academy for a semester in college. Just about every retailer has the same rule. Once, we were informed of suspicious activity by an employee. Cant remember the job title. Basically a loss prevention guy disguised as a shopper. Watched him walk to his car and immediately called the police. He was arrested a couple miles from the store.

Still... That's pretty sorry. No doubt the dude was doing what he thought was right.
BlackHogDown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #30
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypo View Post
What if it wasnít the policy and the policy was now shoot, detain, stop, or whatever means necessary? I canít imagine that being a good policy either. An employer is responsible for eliminating and/or reducing risk. If things would of went south and gun fire broke out, then thatís really bad. Now headlines read, ď4 year old girls caught in crossfire but Academy employeeĒ. No way an employer of this size can condone this action. Right or wrong, they are in a tough place. Can you imagine a civil lawsuit of a dead child? Just my opinion. For the record I would of been fine if the prep received 4 in the back of the head.
Wonder what the lawsuit would be if the thief free wheeled out of the store with gun and ammo and shot up the next store down?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #31
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Like others have said, several stores will fire you for trying to stop a robbery. This guy knew that before he acted. Academy and many others would rather lose some product than either be sued by the criminal or worse by the family of a dead employee
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #32
bignick612
Four Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Lee, Victoria Counties

The guy broke the rules and got fired for it. During my time with academy we stopped theives all the time but we never put hands on them and we actually had to see them conceal the products. Sounds like this guy just heard stop that guy and grabbed the person running. What if all the yelling caused people to run out of the store and he grabbed the wrong person? What if the theif decided to pull another gun out of his pocket and shoot the employee? Now I'm not saying I disagree with what he did, if I was in the same situation it would have been tempting to do the same. But you have to be prepared for the consequences of your actions.
bignick612 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #33
Rex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

The manager will look back on this and thank God he did what he did and know he is way better off for taking action.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #34
FriscoAg
Eight Point

So are we banning Academy or not?!?!?!

I've got a running list around here somewhere.......
FriscoAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #35
Rickybobby8
Nubbin' Buck

It's a rule, it is put there for a reason. I think society and it's current state is the reason the rule is there. I can't blame the company.
I worked at Walmart to get meslef through college. We had a girl once try to get back stolen merchandise by reaching into the car of the suspect. He drove off with her hanging on the door.

The new policy should be no handling of firearms without proper ID. The customer has to give ID over first. Associate checks ID then can hand the customer the gun with a trigger lock.

Would some this policy really offend anyone here when looking at a firearm?
Rickybobby8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #36
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoAg View Post
So are we banning Academy or not?!?!?!

I've got a running list around here somewhere.......
I think we boycott Academy roughly once per week. Except during bownanza when everyone out drinking.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #37
tadmaryperry
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: ?

I worked at Academy way back in '92 and '93....same policy. We couldn't touch the thieves. Just watch them leave.

The parking lot was a different story though
tadmaryperry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #38
clayree
Six Point

This succinctly sums up problems in America today: PC culture is killing us. He should be given a bonus for doing the correct thing, not fired. If this jerk killed a child with the stolen .40 every libtard would be screaming about it.

Do the right thing! My grandfather is rolling in his grave right about now.
clayree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #39
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayree View Post
This succinctly sums up problems in America today: PC culture is killing us. He should be given a bonus for doing the correct thing, not fired. If this jerk killed a child with the stolen .40 every libtard would be screaming about it.

Do the right thing! My grandfather is rolling in his grave right about now.
Yep.

I'm sure the guy will end up with a much better job.

Academy PR folks will be earning their check this week.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #40
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

I worked at Academy in high school. We had a "MIT" manager in training that was fresh out of the Marines and he was a bad mfer. Back then (almost 20 years ago) we used to have the camping section if you guys remember. A turfed area where tents where up on display. We had a bad problem with people grabbing a new pair of shoes or boots off of the shelf in the footwear department and then going into one of the tents and putting them on. They would put their old shoes in the box and put the box back on the shelf and walk out of the store. One day the MIT was suspicious of a customer and followed him around from a distance and busted him. He cut him off at the front door and told him he was going to have to pay for those shoes. The guy took off running and ended up face first in the concrete in the parking lot somehow

MIT drug him back into the store and called the cops.

Times were a bit different back then obviously cause said MIT was back at work the next day and all that happened was he got to read the employee handbook again.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #41
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

I would think that a firearm theft would trump all other policy. If the guys walking out with a pair of sunglasses, I can see not allowing your employees to pursue him.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #42
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

America's going down hill faster than ever!
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #43
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

I agree the manager did the right thing. Part of this policy across all retail is that until they are out the door and in the parking lot there is no crime committed. To be able to prosecute for shop lifting the person has to have merchandise and leave the store property.

I agree that stopping someone from getting out the door with a gun is much different than watching a kid steal a pair of socks and grabbing him in the parking lot. Just giving my experience from managing retail stores and what I was told by different corp offices
hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #44
tvc184
Pope & Young

All of these types of incidents can end just as soon as the appropriate legislative body ends the ability to file such lawsuits.

It is not good business sense to say that we protected a $500 item by paying a $10,000 lawsuit.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #45
Terry
Ten Point

Sorry, I am old school, no use for thieves. For evil to succeed it just takes good men to do nothing. Too much nothing going on right now.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 11:21 AM   #46
myway
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
All of these types of incidents can end just as soon as the appropriate legislative body ends the ability to file such lawsuits.

It is not good business sense to say that we protected a $500 item by paying a $10,000 lawsuit.
Now this is the most logical statement on the thread.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #47
Clay C
Ten Point

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post

Yup. This right here. Academy is a business that makes business decisions.

This should be shocking to no one. The risk of an employee or shopper getting hurt trying to stop a shoplifter is far greater than the scenarios laid out in this thread. Therefore policy is set to counter the greatest risk.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #48
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Wonder what the lawsuit would be if the thief free wheeled out of the store with gun and ammo and shot up the next store down?

N cues the store was also a victim of theft? I would say none. Again only my opinion which we all know is nothing when 12 random people are coming together to make a decision.

Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #49
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

So now we can just go to academy and ask to see a firearm and just turn around and walk out with it, oh and grab some ammo to match on the way out. Seems pretty dagum stupid if you ask me.
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #50
Big Mike M
Eight Point

Hunt In: Duval County west of Freer

I was leaving Home Depot yesterday and saw a man and women running through the parking lot pushing a shopping cart to their vehicle. It was full of what looked like Dewaltís drills. Old man that worked there just walked through the lot and wrote down license plate number as they drove off. They are going to keep doing it without any fear of getting caught since the employees canít do anything.
Big Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top