Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-11-2018, 06:05 AM   #1
porkrind
Six Point

Hunt In: Wherever I Can
Default Fishing in Jamaica

Going to Jamaica next week and was wondering if anyone has been fishing down there. Thanks
porkrind is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

I did years ago and it was awesome. I actually fished with a local out of his small fishing boat and caught all kinds of fish. I believe I fished out of Ocho Rios, but don't remember because we stayed 3 weeks all over the island.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
recar
Ten Point

I am going to be in Negril next week. Looking to possibly do the same
recar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
porkrind
Six Point

Were gonna be at Ocho Rios, heard the fishing wasn't that great but wanted to hear from people that had actually been there.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

Probably going there on my honeymoon next year, and I’m interested as well
kd350 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #6
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blanco, Burnet

I went with a local in a wooden boat while on our honeymoon in Negril. He was one of the guys who would pull up to the resort everyday and see if anybody would go out with him. It was pretty fun. First we trolled for tuna, but didn't have any luck though we did see some at the surface. After that we drifted and fished straight down with hermit crabs as bait. The equipment was very rough, but you could see the bottom 100' down. We reeled up all kinds of small fish, and the guy kept them all.

It was much different than what I'd ever done, and I'd do it again. I think it was only $75 + tip.
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
BigJake
Four Point

Hunt In: anywhere i can

Went to ocho rios on our honeymoon and was tempted to fish and just book it through the sandals resort we were staying at but wanted to see if anyone had any first hand reviews i could talk to since it was $250 a person. just so happened that the couple we were on the plane with were going to do the fishing trip the very first day they were there so i waited to book something after hearing how there trip went. They were not to impressed with the fishing that the resort offered. Hardly any fish were caught and they crew admitted to them they were fishing some areas that get fished hard. Also, they had to share the boat with three other couples so it wasnt as comfortable as they wanted to be.

On the other hand i talked to some other couples that used local guides and had a blast for a fraction of the cost. We ended up not fishing but from what i gathered from most people is that you will have a much better time and catch more fish from locals instead of getting price gouged by the resort.
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Awesome, we are headed to Jamaica at the end of the month. Tuned in.
TreyRo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

After the horror stories I’ve heard y’all be careful there. Some of the things I’ve heard are down right scary.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzurovec View Post
I went with a local in a wooden boat while on our honeymoon in Negril. He was one of the guys who would pull up to the resort everyday and see if anybody would go out with him. It was pretty fun. First we trolled for tuna, but didn't have any luck though we did see some at the surface. After that we drifted and fished straight down with hermit crabs as bait. The equipment was very rough, but you could see the bottom 100' down. We reeled up all kinds of small fish, and the guy kept them all.

It was much different than what I'd ever done, and I'd do it again. I think it was only $75 + tip.
This is exactly what I did and it was a blast. And yes they kept every fish I caught. even the barracuda. They showed me a way to test for mercury in the blood to see if it was edible or to be used for cut bait.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 04:54 AM   #11
porkrind
Six Point

Thanks guys, the group I'm going with is pretty excited so hopefully we'll have a good day on the water.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
Chunky
Pope & Young

I have been to Jamaica 5 times. Have not fished because I was told it is over fished and not worth it. I have not seen local guys, no one came to the resorts I stayed at. If I go back I will make more effort to find these local guys.
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #13
Kmart49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Stephens County

We have been a couple of times and stayed in Negril a year or so ago.

From what I was told, the fishing around the island is poor at best. The "bag limits" are hardly monitored and fishing with dynamite is still legal so were told the resources just aren't there.

I've heard that sportfishing well off the coast in deeper waters can be really good however that is more seasonal.

The scuba diving has always been really good though!
Kmart49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #14
Pintail45
Six Point

Hunt In: Across the great blue yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
After the horror stories Iíve heard yíall be careful there. Some of the things Iíve heard are down right scary.
What've you heard??
Pintail45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #15
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintail45 View Post
What've you heard??
I have a friend and his wife that stayed at a resort and 4 different times somebody tried to force their way into their room late at night. They also had all their credit cards they used on the trip compromised after they returned home.

Also a lady I went to school with her and her husband had all their belonging stolen out of their room as they slept. She also told me the street people were so aggressive she feared for her and her husbands safety. They both said they would die before they would ever set foot back in that cesspool. Their words not mine Iíve never been.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #16
ontarget
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard

My uncle has a nice Blue Marlin on his wall that he caught several years ago there.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #17
porkrind
Six Point

We didnít get a single bite on a half day trip trolling. Water wasnít bad just no fish. Wouldnít fish if I went there again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk