No announcement yet.

Making new deer feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the plastic lid from Academy fits loose over the barrel but then you tighten the thumb screws on each side to the barrel and it can't fly off as the thumb screws are now under the barrel rim.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
      I have the plastic lid from Academy fits loose over the barrel but then you tighten the thumb screws on each side to the barrel and it can't fly off as the thumb screws are now under the barrel rim.
      If you hunt etx, stay away from plastic. In 3 days time i had a squirrel chew a hole through a plastic lid, it then rained 6" over the course of the next week. I showed up to refill the feeder 6-8 weeks later and had about 150# of soured corn still in the feeder. I vowed to never use a plastic lid again.

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
        The drum was painted yellow on the inside and its black on the outside. Here's a pic of the feeder. As you can see I shorten it by 11.5" since I only fill a regular 55gal drum feeder half way(about 175lbs). This will take 200lbs of feed with just a tad to spare. The plastic lid fits super snug. The legs are 6" long cut at an angle to create a wide base. Thanks gents.

Where did you get the lids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like the 30 gal drums with grease off our service trucks. Pull the liner and good to go. I put Eye bolts 3/4 up and either suspend off a limb or between two trees.

Comment

I would never cut one, just fill it half way.
            your corn “consumption” varies with time of throw and distance from funnel to spinner, not size of barrel.
            I vary between 3 seconds and 8.
            I also am a believer in metal lids. Worth it and quick to fill.

BP

Comment

Working...
            X