Pins with Lens....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pins with Lens....

I have limited experience with scopes and am interested in a adding a magnified lens behind my standard pin sight, I assume something with low magnification for starters. I have both SpottHogg Hunters as well as a Axel ArmourTec (sp?)

I am wanting to try it to see if it improves my vision on 3D targets and it will not be used for hunting. I have no problem with my vision, just thinking it would be nice to be able to see the target better.

Anyone with experience with this? I see a few shooting this setup at shoots but not many. Do I need a verifier or clarifier or whatever they are called?

Thanks in advance.

True eyesight will determine if you need a clarifier or verifier with the glass in the front. I could make the pins blurry and the target clear, ot the pins clear and the target blurry. That is when you will know.

As far as putting glass with your pin sight, I used to shoot a viper with a 3x piece of glass out front. It is nice because it magnifies the target and not the pins, so you can have more pinpoint aiming spots on the closer targets. At further range it is kind of a wash IMO, but more helpful than harmful.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
      True eyesight will determine if you need a clarifier or verifier with the glass in the front. I could make the pins blurry and the target clear, ot the pins clear and the target blurry. That is when you will know.

As far as putting glass with your pin sight, I used to shoot a viper with a 3x piece of glass out front. It is nice because it magnifies the target and not the pins, so you can have more pinpoint aiming spots on the closer targets. At further range it is kind of a wash IMO, but more helpful than harmful.
      Great, thanks for the info. That is exactly what I am looking for, just being able to improve my aiming point particuliarly when I am first in the group. I am going to give it a try, any special brand of lens you recommend? Like I said I have virtually no knowledge on this.

Thanks Again.

Comment

Welcome to Lancaster Archery Supply, where you can shop the world leader in equipment for target archery, bowhunting, 3D archery, traditional archery and backyard archery. We’ve been serving archers since 1983 to meet all your archery equipment needs.

I would start browsing here, paying attention to the size of the glass, then the mag power. I would not recommend anything bigger than 4x for 3D.

Comment

Scopes on a bow.....who'd a thought. As I get older, it's looking like a good alternative.

Comment

Be careful.when messing with magnification....as stated above I wouldn't go over 4x....then you start getting into needing clarifiers.

A lot of elder shooters get into shooting verifiers to help clear up their pins or sight image.

Comment

On my spot hogg with a 4x the pins gaps got wider.
              You can not take the lens out and have the same gaps.

Comment

I run a 4x lens on my Spott Hoggs on both my Monster and Z7. I use a 1/4" peep with a #2 Clarifier and love it. I have been shooting this set up since 09.
                I tried a 6x lens and took it right back out and went back to the the 4x.

Comment

I use the CBE 3pin for hunting and take two pins out for 3D. Their 3X lense helps to see the target with no help in the peep. Their optical center is normally close to the center of the lense and allows you to take the lense out and have the same impact point.
                  As you increase the lense power you may notice more pin movement on the target.

Comment

Thanks guys, I installed a 2X on my Spott Hogg about a week ago and am very pleased with it. I did not have to change my peep but I did have to make minor pin adjustments. Wish I would have done it sooner.

Comment

I asked Paul about this but he said he wouldn't recommend it? As most of you know, my right eye is bad and Im nearsighted. I can see far just fine but I can't read for jack! At night time is worse for me when trying to read even on Tapa. No matter if I change the font size, I still can't read at night. My glasses won't help either. I wonder if this will help?

I do have astigmatic on right eye and lots of stuff has happened to my right eye as well. I think that has caused declination in my vision in my right eye.

Please let me know. Thanks. Sometime I do have problem distinguish my live target. It takes me a while and moving it around to make sure that I'm aiming at the right target. I have no problem with target practice at all. That's what's strange about it than a live target.

Comment

If your eyes are 20/20 then you really don't need a lens. The lens will magnify your pin movement also. If you are a little panicky on target, a lens might make it worse. Although magnification will make you miss more accurately!

Comment

Working...
                        X