Rounds fired from an LCP are tumbling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rounds fired from an LCP are tumbling

I picked up a used LCP the other day because the price was right, and I have been thinking about using it as a backup. So I took it to the range today and fired about 30 rounds of Tulammo in 91 grain ball. All rounds fired good, and I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of this little mouse gun even at 7 yards, but then I noticed that all of the holes were oblong. The only way that can happen is if the bullet is tumbling.

So had anyone else seen this happen? The whole purpose of me getting this pistol was to use as a backup, but with the rounds tumbling I don't know if it would be good to use as a backup. Was it just the el-cheapo rounds that were being used or is there a bigger problem?

Try a higher quality ammo at the same distance sounds like a good idea.

Comment

I could be wrong here but I don't see it physically possible for them to tumble @ that distance.
      Oh, & Tula sucks. Try ANYTHING else.

Comment

x2 on trying different ammo. My 1911 will tumble Blazer brass ammo every fourth or fifth round, but shoots Monarch and Winchester white just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
          I could be wrong here but I don't see it physically possible for them to tumble @ that distance.
          Oh, & Tula sucks. Try ANYTHING else.

I have a picture on my cell phone that I could send you that shows the oblong holes. I had 2 targets setup. The left target were rounds from my 9mm subcompact and the right target were from this little .380 LCP. The 9mm rounds in comparison looking like .22 holes!

Comment

My wife has one. It would occasionally jam, I looked it over and saw several issues. I could have replaced a few parts myself and fixed others. I didn't want to spend any money on it, so I called Taurus, explained the problems and shipped it back to them. They basically rebuilt the pistol and threw in a new magazine for our troubles.

So long story short, try quality ammo and if that doesn't work send it to Taurus and they will fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
              My wife has one. It would occasionally jam, I looked it over and saw several issues. I could have replaced a few parts myself and fixed others. I didn't want to spend any money on it, so I called Taurus, explained the problems and shipped it back to them. They basically rebuilt the pistol and threw in a new magazine for our troubles.

So long story short, try quality ammo and if that doesn't work send it to Taurus and they will fix it.
              I think you mean Ruger? Or did your wife have another pistol?

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                I think you mean Ruger? Or did your wife have another pistol?
                Yeah, sorry it is a ruger. Same as a Taurus to me, I'm not really a fan of either. She had bad taste in guns before I came along.

I can't even shoot the dang thing without hitting the mag release its so small. The smallest carry gun I have is a Walther pps.

Comment

Yeah, I don't think I'd send my ruger to Taurus. On the other hand, what kind of damage would a tumbling 9mm do????

Comment

Tulammo won't even cycle thru some of my guns. It's worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by poisonivie View Post
                      Yeah, I don't think I'd send my ruger to Taurus. On the other hand, what kind of damage would a tumbling 9mm do????

From reading online, a tumbling FMJ round leaves a larger temporary and permenent wound cavity if it is tumbling vs. not.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                        I picked up a used LCP the other day because the price was right, and I have been thinking about using it as a backup. So I took it to the range today and fired about 30 rounds of Tulammo in 91 grain ball. All rounds fired good, and I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of this little mouse gun even at 7 yards, but then I noticed that all of the holes were oblong. The only way that can happen is if the bullet is tumbling.

So had anyone else seen this happen? The whole purpose of me getting this pistol was to use as a backup, but with the rounds tumbling I don't know if it would be good to use as a backup. Was it just the el-cheapo rounds that were being used or is there a bigger problem?
                        At 7 yards or closer,in a self defense situation,who cares if the rounds tumble....that means a bigger entrance,and a random path of the wound,and I would think,more impact......all of these things are good....in a defense situation. Now if we are in a paler punching target match,well buy a different weapon to start with.

Comment

Mine shoots American eagle and Remington ammo pretty good. Clean and inspect the barrel. Reassemble and try some different ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                            Mine shoots American eagle and Remington ammo pretty good. Clean and inspect the barrel. Reassemble and try some different ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I cleaned and inspected it this afternoon. All looks good. Maybe next week I'll find some better ammo and try it again.

Comment

Yes the ammo can tumble at that short distance. Seen it before while teaching chl classes. Get a higher quality ammo. As said above Tula sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X