No announcement yet.

Lbj Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll second the antler restriction. Bow area only would be nice, but how could you post that so everybody gets the word? Might be more trouble than it's worth.

Comment

Antler restrictions would be awsome!! I dont see how a bow hunting only area would work. If they set aside a couple units then all of the bow hunters would pack in there trying to escape the gun hunters. Plus whats is a sign that says bow hunting only gonna do to someone that doesnt care. Half of the LBJ Property line signs arent even there.

Comment

These are good ideas, especially the BOW ONLY section/s IMO, but it would all come back to enforcement. Good Luck getting more regulations from the Feds and cooperation from the state. Who is going to take charge and drive this? Would getting the LSBA involved be the way to drive this??? Good Luck.

Comment

As i stated before, I posted this once here and majorly reemed for it,but i still believe that antler restrictions would really benefit LBJ,as far as t he bow only aream,like bowhuntntxn said would be there to enforce the law???I have talked to Beleg about the bow only area but i dont think about antler restrictions,so we could contact him and see what he thinks,then lets find out who to talk to about the antler restrictions.....Brian
          if anyone wants to call me- 817-503-9983

Comment

I think we should schedule a meeting after Jan. 1 to organize a group to persue this. If all interested parties will gather whatever information they can we can organize a committee and maybe get something done. We could meet at Embassy Suites near the outdoor world. I would be willing to notify all interested parties soon after Jan. 1. I can post it on this forum and set it up at a central location. If I could see a show of hands to see how much interest there would be I would appreciate it. On another note why when I sign in it tells me I haven't when I try to post a reply?

Comment

I would be interested in helping w/antler restrictions.

Comment

I'd sign a petition for yall. If you guys know any hunters or landowners in wise county who would be pro antler restriction encourage them to contact or write TPWD that they would like their county added next year, thats essentially what happened in burleson county (who was left out two years ago in the original antler restriction counties). TPWD did not plan to add burleson county last year to the antler restrictions but after numerous landowners asked for them after seeing how successful the counties south(not to mention the increased value of the land they leased) of them were they were added. I am currently gathering signatures for hill county.

Comment

It also wouldn't hurt to email this thread and other pro antler restriction threads like this to TPWD just to let them know we support them.

Comment

Lbj

The Forest Service is always looking for volunteers and public input. Try contacting the District Ranger, Jim Crooks and throw some ideas at him..

Caddo/LBJ National Grasslands
                    P.O Box 507
                    Decatur, TX 76234
                    (940) 627-5475

The Texas Parks and Wildlife biologist works out of the same office. She's very knowlegeable and works with landowners in Wise and surrounding counties.

Comment

For all you bow hunters that want bow only areas to hunt with restrictions should go to the above site.

I will lobby against bow only and restrictions on LBJ as for the past 20 years things have been just fine until a hand full of hunters came in want to make changes. I bow and gun hunt, antlers mean nothing to me as I hunt for the meat. If you rack hunt, try some Type II land or get a lease to where deer are managed and you have all the restriction you need.

I for one and many more out there feel that things should not be change but enjoyed. I feel as a gun hunter also, maybe someone needs to lobby against having bow hunters in the grasslands during the month of October stirring the deer up before gun season, or the squirrel hunters blasting the tree tops scaring the deer out of the county and what about them duck hunters. Opening morning of deer season and they are blasting away at them thar ducks, let's all lobby against having them aout there while we are at it. Hold your horses, let's get a petition together to keep the horse riders out during the entire deer season as they are as much of a pest as a hunter shooting a spike.

We could go on and on trying to find things to lobby against instead of enjoying what we have. Just be happy that you live in an area that you do have public land to enjoy.

I myself would not sign a petition that restricts a hunter from taking any size game he wanted to from public land, I would lobby against it.

Any way hunt safe and enjoy what you have, some day you may not even have it.

Comment

So Buck,
                        Does that mean if you had a lease in a county that didn't have any antler restrictions last year(such as Bowie county), and now it does you would get off the lease? If the state were to impose an antler restriction in Wise county it would be for the county, and not just LBJ. It seems to have improved the overall quality of the herd, and it also increased the bag limit from 3 to 4 deer anually. I understand and respect your view to not have any ARCHERY ONLY units, but with 70 units available what would it hurt to make a smaller unit Archery only?

Comment

1. Let's say we make unit 60 archery only for 2007-2008 hunting season. Then the next year when unit 60 is over crowded from previous year, bow hunters would want additional units and so forth until all units are bow only.

2. Would I leave a lease if restrictions were made in regards to antlers. A well managed lease always has restrictions to antlers size. If I were on a lease I would hope they would have these types of restrictions in place prior to me joining. (deer management) Why would anyone pay $1500.00 a year to get on a lease that was not managed?

3. The link I posted is a place all public land bow hunters can go with out all the gun hunters around. Lake Grapevine is bow only, Lake Lavon is bow only several lakes in the Dallas Fort Worth area is bow only. We gun hunters aren't asking them to make it for guns or wanting to petition these areas to become gun areas. We respect these areas as they are for you the bow hunter and we wish not to change them. But that is not to say for you wanting to make changes in other areas.

Have fun and hunt safe, wear that orange.

Comment

Unit 60 obviously would be a bad choice since it is one of the larger units. I would say no to that myself. My thought would be something like unit 69 or 70. And there are plenty of folks who pay $1500+ for a place with NO restrictions at all. I understand and agree that there are an abundance of areas in the metro that offer archery only hunting. Were you as upset when LBJ made everything shotgun/muzzleloader only, and no centerfire rifle? And honestly I do not think that LBJ would cascade to the whole place becoming archery only as you suggest. Personally, if nothing changes, I am fine with that. And if it does, I would be good with that too. Either way, I am in the trees wearing the orange, toting the bow, or muzzleloader, either way I am hunting!!! And just so you know, I am not trying to start an argument, or ANY personal attacks. Respectfully.
                            Glenn

Comment

Who cares this year is either one, so if you are out Thanksgiving weekend I also will be there. Stop by and share the camp fire (heck if we can find some wood) and we will swap hunting stories. I don't drink or I would offer you a beer, but I will have soft drinks, water and if you twist my arm, I will put on a fresh pot of coffee.

Comment

Working...
                              X