Lbj Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lbj Reports

Hunted there yesterday morning. It sure was pretty with the fog. Had Turkeys roosting all around me. They sure turned up the racket. Saw one 2yr old 8pt at about 7:15 am. He will make a nice deer in a couple of years. Had him at 25yds but decided to pass him as he would not be worth packing out. I can get meat on my trips to Kansas every year. I took a nice 120" eight pt there year before last. I think the area has some great genetics and can produce some nice deer if we give it a chance.

thought I started this tread but it hasn't shown up in the list.

Hunted there yesterday morning. It sure was pretty with the fog. Had Turkeys roosting all around me. They sure turned up the racket. Saw one 2yr old 8pt at about 7:15 am. He will make a nice deer in a couple of years. Had him at 25yds but decided to pass him as he would not be worth packing out. I can get meat on my trips to Kansas every year. I took a nice 120" eight pt there year before last. I think the area has some great genetics and can produce some nice deer if we give it a chance.

Comment

Got my anterless permit today!!! I will be up that way when things die down a little from the gun hunters!!!

Comment

I wish they would make antler restrictions required on all public land, sad thing is that the young eight you saw will likely never reach his potential due to some idiot red neck with a shotgun. One thing I have learned in my few years of bowhunting is bowhunters tend to be much better woodsmen, and are willing to let the young bucks grow up.

Comment

Genetics?

The biologist checked a 23 inch wide 10 point Saturday morning on a Unit on the east side of the district.

These are Wise County bucks. Well at least one is still roaming. The big one staring at the camera met my hunting partners "06" round Monday afternoon.

These pictures were taken within 1/2 mile of the grasslands. Good genetics? You be the judge.

Note the dark patch on his rump. He had no hair on both sides at that spot. His hair was long and interspersed with white. I'll try to post some LDP's later.
          Last edited by Froggy; 06-06-2009, 10:40 PM.

Comment

No arguing they have some good genetics, but I believe giving good food source and most importantly TIME to grow deer like that can be grown awheres in texas, some WMA's in east texas have proven that. Hunters need to realize buck need to get 5-6 years old to reach their full potential.

Comment

I agree. The LBJ should add antler restrictions. Too many young bucks being taken. If it has a hardened protrusion it dies. Antler restrictions went into effect on the Caddo Grasslands this season. I'm sure in a few years the Caddo will have some mature bucks running around.

Time and age are the key to growing them big.

Maybe if a group of bowhunters, who hunt the LBJ, got together and approached the Forest Service they would consider adding the antler restrictions? Letters can be very effective. Might even ask about setting aside a few Units for bowhunting only especially any small outlying Units with a lot of homes around them. Just a suggestion.

Comment

Its worth a try, wise county might adopt the antler restrictions next year anyways, from what I've heard TPWD is wanting to intall antler restrictions into all 1 buck counties in north/central/east texas. They added 40 counties last year, and if I was a betting man I'd say they'll add around that many more in 2007. All three of the public land areas I hunt now have antler restriction, two of them were just added this year.

Comment

I would be in favor of that. If antler restriction should be imposed it should definitely be on public hunting. Take a doe if you need the meat. They are legal during archery season. But, in the absence of any restriction any help is some help. As I said before I shot a 120" eight pt year before last and he survived long enough to get that big. I would be willing to join and help any group that is willing to put in their time to improve the hunting at LBJ. That is a great resource if we act as stewards and take care of it. If I can figure out how to post a pic of my buck I will send it later.

Comment

lets see if this works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2004texaspubliclandbuck1b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	23816357
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	2004texaspubliclandbucka.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	23816358

Comment

120 was a guesstimate. He had an inside spread of 16 inches.

Comment

What the hell kind of bow is that!?, I've only seen prototype models that look like that.

Comment

Its my road huntin bow. You can shoot it out the window of a pickup. Just kidding. It is a Hickory Creek 24" ATA. Believe it or not, when I took that deer I was shooting it with fingers. Last year age caught up with me and I was forced to go with a release. I bought itfrom an ex heavyweight prizefighter by the name of Jerry Goff. He has a show on TV called Knockout hunting adventures. A good friend of mine in Kansas actually carries the bow but I got mine from the manufaturer. He asked me to show it around and try to raise some interest. I added the larger wheel on top. Its not as fast as your Hoyt Mathews and bowtechs but is a blast to shoot ultra quite and can be strapped to your backpack. A great little hunting bow.

Comment

you can check it out at drawloc.com

Comment

I dont know if ya'll remember,but i posted a thread about a "bow only" place at LBJ and man did i get reamed for that,but i'm all for the antler restriction and a bow only area,so lets do something about it and try to get some mature deer in there...Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X