No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small world, I played tennis with the Crouchs at Hanna.

I haven't hunted the refuge in about 10 years but have good memories from there.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
      BigRed,

You from LF? That is my home town lived there till I moved to Katy almost 2 years ago.

The piece of land that you are talking about is the one I was thinking about.
      From browntown, but work as a medic and with the fire dept out in LF.

Comment

Originally posted by chancito1 View Post
        Wow small world. Grew up with the Crouchs their dad was a vet had twin boys lance and chance we fished ever square inch of water around there. How old are you? Was down there for Dr Crouchs funeral few weeks ago and went a hung out with Mrs Crouch for a few hours. They live off of old Alice rd now
        Wow really small world. Lance and Chance are exactly a year older than I am. They graduated in '89 and I graduated in 1990. It was sad to hear about Dr. Crouch. He was our vet for all our dogs.

Comment

Yea sad deal with Doc man did he take me hunting and fishing a lot as a kid. Pretty much raised me

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
            From browntown, but work as a medic and with the fire dept out in LF.
            And I mean brownsville, don't know if there is an actual browntown, tx

Comment

Man that would be awesome if they opened up more land for hunting. Lots of nilgai of hwy 48 Bahia Grande area.

Comment

I just submitted my comment to them.

Comment

Originally posted by BorderBandits View Post
                  I just submitted my comment to them.
                  Where did you submit it?

Comment

RGV reunion in this thread. From Harlingen myself. Wouldn't mind hunting the refuge, I've seen some nice animals out there.

Comment

Here is the article:

Public Comments Accepted for Proposed Expansion of Refuge Hunt Program

Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge (NWR, Refuge) is accepting comments from January 16, 2015 through February 6, 2015, on a proposal to expand hunting opportunities on Laguna
                      Atascosa NWR to include additional hunt areas on Laguna Atascosa Unit and on Bahia Grande Unit and La Selva Verde tract in Cameron County, Texas. The 21,762-acre Bahia Grande Unit is proposed to be opened to nilgai and feral hog hunting for archery only. Up to 300 permits may be issued for Bahia Grande Unit annually. The 2,400-acre La Selva Verde tract is proposed to be opened to white-tailed deer, feral hog, and nilgai hunting. Up to 20 rifle and 40 archery permits may be issued for La Selva Verde annually. The 8,486-acre
                      SubUnit 7 within the Laguna Atascosa Unit may be open to nilgai and feral hog hunting using firearms. Up to 100 permits may be issued annually. The 4,000-acre SubUnit 4 within the Laguna Atascosa Unit may be open to nilgai and feral hog hunting using firearms and archery. Up to 20 permits may be issued annually.

Laguna Atascosa NWR was formally established by the Migratory Bird Commission on October 31, 1945, to preserve and manage resting and feeding habitats for migrating and wintering
                      waterfowl such as redhead ducks. The Refuge also manages for endangered species such as the ocelot, jaguarundi, and the northern aplomado falcon. Hunting is an approved, compatible, wildlife-dependent recreational activity and is also an important wildlife management tool to maintain wildlife health and protect habitat.
                      This comment period is known as ‘Scoping’ under the National Environmental Policy Act. During scoping, the Refuge is looking for general comments on the proposed expansion of the hunting
                      program. These comments will assist in determining the next course of action. Comments will be accepted until February 6, 2015. Comments should be sent to chris_perez@fws.gov, or mailed to
                      3325 Green Jay Rd., Alamo TX 78516.

Comment

Thanks for posting this info guys, especially the contact info for submitting comments. I'll submit one!

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                          Yeah I was born at Dolly in Sam Benito. My parents house is on the east side of town. I bought my first home of of FM 803 between 100 and 511 in Saint Frances of Assisi subdivision. I grew up fishing the resacas around LF and dove hunting all over the area. Miss my little town.
                          Don't you miss them days of nothing to do but load up and hit the resacas? Those were the days man...pole in the ground and 12g sittin on the tailgate. Grew up in San Bene doing the same. Really thinking about moving back and ruffin out my 7/7 schedule. I think I know where this land is you are speaking of and if it is...there is a bunch of animals out there. Still remember cruzin up and down with buddies there and out towards Port Mansfield with a bottle of 7 just checking out the game. Gotta away with a lot back then. Lotta nilgai out there for sure!

Comment

Working...
                          X