Richland Creek WMA archery draw hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richland Creek WMA archery draw hunts

Just seeing how everyone did out there, I went on standby and got to hunt compartment 15 in the north unit. I was quite surprised how good the hunting was, considering the lack of hardwoods in my compartment (guess the deer were still hanging around the lake like in the summer). I only hunted 2 days after scouting the first day and had deer in range every time just never got a shot, I got really really close to shooting a doe on the second morning hunt when the cold from blew in, but a coyote scared off the three does. The other guy in my compartment got a spike and almost shot a doe the last day I was there, I know a guy in the compartment north of me shot a button buck and the guys in the compartment east of me both limited out with two does a piece. From the exit reports it looked like our part of the north unit was the place to be cause the guys in the south unit weren't seeing any deer at all. I don't know how friday moring went, the weather was prime, but as of thursday night when I signed out there was only one good buck in the cooler (135 class 11 point) and a lot of does and spikes.

I have 300 acres that borders the Richland chambers WMA and shot a 142 last year. This year I haven't seen the Big Boys moving around yet. We really need a good cold front to get them out of their holes...i haven't heard of anyone taking anything spectacular as of yet. I know they are there though because last year after the season I got pictures of some tremendous bucks that should be great this year. When is the next draw hunt scheduled???/ Does anyone know?

Comment

I drew the either sex draw its dec 4 thur 8. I've never hunted their any unit suggestion?

Comment

You don't get to select your unit the wildlife biologist selects it for you depending on if you have an ATV, and or a 4 wheel drive vehicle. If the archery hunt is any indication ask to be placed in the north unit if possible.

Comment

Compartment 11 is the big one, 1859 acres, I think that might be the one the 11 point was taken in, anyone out there correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Can someone post a pic of the the buck that was poached back in 2000 that scored 208, I'd like to e-mail it to a friend. Beleg if your out there I think you were the one who originally had the pic.

Comment

I was one of the individuals in Comp 16 next to you. My buddy limited out with 1 button buck and a doe. I got two does and our other buddy got a doe too. Been fortunate enough to have been picked at Richland Creek two years in a row, and have hunted same compartment both years. We were done hunting by Thursday and headed home to the Hood. Then Friday evening I dropped two hogs on my lease north of Abilene.

Also, I hunt Ft Hood...saw a buck last weekend at 0630, but couldn't get a good front view of him. Couldn't tell if he fit the 13 inch rule on not, so let him walk.
                Last edited by rossn2; 11-21-2006, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Sorry forgot..the guy that shot the 135 incher you saw in the cooler got it from the same tree, within the same South unit. He has sat the same unit and same tree for the last 8 years...And, yes you can ask for a specific unit when they call your name during the check-in process/safety brief.

Originally posted by rossn2 View Post
                  I was one of the individuals in Comp 16 next to you. My buddy limited out with 1 button buck and a doe. I got two does and our other buddy got a doe too. Been fortunate enough to have been picked at Richland Creek two years in a row, and have hunted same compartment both years. We were done hunting by Thursday and headed home to the Hood. Then Friday evening I dropped two hogs on my lease north of Abilene.

Also, I hunt Ft Hood...saw a buck last weekend at 0630, but couldn't get a good front view of him. Couldn't tell if he fit the 13 inch rule on not, so let him walk.

Comment

The guy, I should say kid, who shot the button buck I mentioned was in compartment 19 and shot it the night the rain came in. I knew you guys in 16 did good too, when I signed out thursday night jeff the biologist who did the orientation was bragging on yall. He was really surprised the north unit was so good and the south unit was so bad.
                    Last edited by boss bowman; 11-21-2006, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Rossn2 thanks for the offer but I've got to much work and too little time for hunting I'll give you a holler if I see you next year. By chance do you know what compartment the big boy was taken in by chance, I thought compartment 11 but wasn't sure.

Comment

bump

Comment

Sorry, I don't remember other than the south side.

Comment

I was selected for the opening weekend hunt in Sept. 100 degrees and a full moon...gotta love the Texas Archery Season. I was in Unit 12, 577 acres of flat / no water property on the North side that borders 287. I saw deer every morning and evening coming and going across the large open field on the west side of the tract. Had to use a ground blind with little to no trees to support a tree stand, unlike some of the Units that are closer to the Trinity. I thought I had a pretty good set-up in a couple different places...but the deer thought otherwise. Couldn't get anything within 50 yards of me. Tried a decoy and actually got a young 8 pointer within bow range, bet he didn't meet the min's as a shooter so he walked. So the only thing I brought home was a world class rash. It's a nice WMA with lots of potential...but next time I'll try and get a little closer to water.

Comment

Working...
                            X