Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
    Sounds like there are a ton of deer out there that die slow painful deaths with bad shots....
    It's incredible the horrible "hail Mary" type shots guys down there freely talk about. Had a guy once tell me he wounded 5 bucks and couldn't recover any of them. I thought he was full of poop until I walked through where he said he was hunting on my way to my spot and found marking tape all over the place and blood trails. He was telling me about 50 yard moving shots, stuff like that. Said he shot one running away from him too. Probably thought it was rude when I just turned and walked away to my truck.

As for mine, it was an 18 yard shot on a calm doe that had no idea I was there. Still not sure what happened.

Comment

Had that happen to me a few years back. Fortunately I was able to recover her. Back at camp I shot a few arrows trying to figure out what happened. Ended up being my new coat was catching my bow string.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
        It's incredible the horrible "hail Mary" type shots guys down there freely talk about. Had a guy once tell me he wounded 5 bucks and couldn't recover any of them. I thought he was full of poop until I walked through where he said he was hunting on my way to my spot and found marking tape all over the place and blood trails. He was telling me about 50 yard moving shots, stuff like that. Said he shot one running away from him too. Probably thought it was rude when I just turned and walked away to my truck.

As for mine, it was an 18 yard shot on a calm doe that had no idea I was there. Still not sure what happened.
        Good deal on the doe!

I think it sucks how many bad shots are taken. Not sure what folks are thinking launching 50 + yard shots and or shots at moving deer. I would be out of arrows if I took wild shots like that. More importantly, I am sure I would be very unhappy with the guy I see in the mirror if I was launching those type of shots.

Comment

I’m planning on going out on 14th looking for mouflan and aoudad. Anyone been out lately?

Comment

Since thread got bumped, anybody know when the white bass run and where to find them out there? I'd like to make a run in March.

Comment

Originally posted by gregfrancescon View Post
              I’m planning on going out on 14th looking for mouflan and aoudad. Anyone been out lately?
              My brother just got back late Monday night. He shot a ewe, its lamb and a ram (all mouflon). He stuck another ram but couldn't find it. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                My brother just got back late Monday night. He shot a ewe, its lamb and a ram (all mouflon). He stuck another ram but couldn't find it. Good luck.
                I know I am going to get flamed, but I never shoot an animal with a young one tagging along. Much less shoot both.
                Maybe a hog though.

Comment

Missing out on some lamb chops.

No flaming here. To each his own. Some people won't shoot something they're not gonna eat (including varmints). You do you, Bud.

Comment

Since thread got bumped, anybody know when the white bass run and where to find them out there? I'd like to make a run in March.
                    Word is whites are running up the Pecos already. You might try to get out there ASAP. I heard folks are catching 40-50 fish easily...

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      Word is whites are running up the Pecos already. You might try to get out there ASAP. I heard folks are catching 40-50 fish easily...
                      Nice! Looks like I'm gonna miss out again.

Comment

Nice! Looks like I'm gonna miss out again.
                        I will try to verify the info ... That was what I was told last week, but I personally haven't seen many boats out there.

Comment

Boat only to get to them or? I use to fish High Bridge all the time and we would do really well from the pier. I heard water level is way down and no water at High Bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                            Boat only to get to them or? I use to fish High Bridge all the time and we would do really well from the pier. I heard water level is way down and no water at High Bridge.
                            No pier anymore... There is enough water to carefully launch and go up the Pecos. it's real sketchy if you are going to try to go towards the Rio Grande. I would not recommend it. Once launched there should be enough water for the boat by the high bridge and a good ways past dead man's canyon...

Comment

No pier anymore... There is enough water to carefully launch and go up the Pecos. it's real sketchy if you are going to try to go towards the Rio Grande. I would not recommend it. Once launched there should be enough water for the boat by the high bridge and a good ways past dead man's canyon...
                              I miss that place. I was born and raised in Ft Stockton. Several weekends we would load up the truck and head to HB. During the summer months we would night fish at the pier using crappie lights. Good times

Funny the wife and I were just talking about gong fishing and Lake Amistad and that area. I never in my life could figure out any good places for bank fishing at Amistad.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                                I miss that place. I was born and raised in Ft Stockton. Several weekends we would load up the truck and head to HB. During the summer months we would night fish at the pier using crappie lights. Good times

Funny the wife and I were just talking about gong fishing and Lake Amistad and that area. I never in my life could figure out any good places for bank fishing at Amistad.
                                Bank fishing Amistad isn't easy that's for sure. If you head down soon the spawn will be on and a lot of fish will be shallow. The lake is up close 10 feet in the last 3-4 months. There is a lot of flooded vegetation/brush that will be good for top water action early and late.

Comment

Working...
                                X