Anyone Using Portacool for a Shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Using Portacool for a Shop?

The enclosed part of the shop I am building will be 30x30 and spray foamed with closed cell insulation. Will the smaller Portacools make a big difference during the summer months?

I have a Cyclone 3000 I use on the back porch at my house and its a game changer with 3000 cfm, in my opinion I would go bigger than what you think you need. Other option would be to install a mini split, I know Fujitsu makes a .5 ton 9,000 btu 115v that we put in our sales mans metal building with the same size and set up as yours.

Comment

It might be too moist for a sealed and spray foamed room.

Comment

It would cool it with the doors open but everything in your shop will rust like it was at the coast

Comment

Have to have a lot of ventilation for the evaportive effect, other wise when it reaches the humidity threshold you will just be blowing hot wet air

Comment

It really depend how enclosed the space is if you have quite a bit of airflow through the shop they work ok,if it has only a walk in door or no airflow the humidity will be unbearable! w shut the doors on our shop once and went to lunch and when we got back it was a hell hole in there ,
            Plus the up keep on them is a lot we were always fixing something on it,got to the point we didn't use it.

Comment

Thanks for that info guys! Might just have to get some big fans. Are the mini splits worth looking into?

Comment

I think Mini Split would be a much better option than porta-cool.

You could probably use a 18K-24K BTU window unit as a cheaper option.

Comment

I would go with a 220v window unit

Comment

I use a squirrel cage fan out of a residential A/C unit mounted on a carpet dolly - the highest volume of air I've ever had!

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                      I would go with a 220v window unit

This, I have a 25K BTU window unit (220V) that during Hurricane IKE it cooled the whole down stairs of my Nephew's house and its a pretty big house. I got it at Lowe for like $225 at the time.

RD

Comment

My 25k btu cooled my insulted 25x30 shop fine till it quit last summer.
                        Lowe’s want $599 for a new one now.

Comment

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Comment

2 ton window or thru the wall unit 220v will cool 5 times better, keep things dried out and be a cheaper option. About half the cost and a lot less maintenance. And most important it's not sitting in the floor taking up space.

Comment

I have two 16” portacools in my 20’x40’ shop at work. One in the back door and one in the middle. They definitely help and I don’t get any more rust than normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X