Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
    That's what happened in my case.
    I should clarify. If someone has your pin that you gave them (or had written on the card), the bank will say it's the account holders fault.

Therefore, don't give your pin to anyone and most certainly don't write it on your card or keep it near the card. Not talking to you, directly, just speaking in general.

Comment

Many reasons to move to cash. Just saying. Sorry for all your troubles.

Comment

Had it happen several times with my debit card. Major PITA.

Comment

His EBT card must have run dry.

Comment

Happened to me 5 times at first texas bank...I closed my accounts there and went to wells fargo and UFCU and have not had a problem since

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
              Banks will return funds once disputed as fraud on a debit card.
              This right here. They got me about 6 months ago and it took about 7 days for the bank to credit back my money.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                Many reasons to move to cash. Just saying. Sorry for all your troubles.
                Huh? Cash gets stolen or loss. You can kiss that money goodbye.

Card number gets stolen and you get your money back.

Im not seeing cash being better in this case.

Ive never filed a report for stolen cards numbers. Nor has it ever bothered me. Mastercard has always taken care of it. Yes I hate thieves too but let the credit card company take care of it.

Comment

They got both my wife and I's HSA debit cards last month. Charges all over the world in a very short time. London, Belgium, some place in China, several places here in the States. Bank shut the cards down immediately and none of the charges went through.

Comment

I'm very happy my bank was able to catch the theft don't get me wrong. I'm not out any money, the bank is fixing that. My main concern is catching the worthless POS that stole from me! I'm just not the type that just forgets because I got my money back; I want these people caught and arrested! I want a call from APD letting me know they're doing everything they can to catch these people. It may be alot of paperwork, but it may get a felon off the streets in the end.

Comment

The day before I closed on my house, I transferred everything from my savings to my checking. I woke up that morning, checked my account and saw $800 worth of pending charges. Thankfully they were still pending and I had a chance to cancel my card, go to the bank and grab a new one. They showed pending for 7 days, then were denied. I got really lucky. **** thieves.

Comment

That's how mine worked out. The bank caught them when they arrived ad pending, and cancelled everything. The bad guy still got his stuff though...What I would do if I could find them!

Comment

Originally posted by Tailboard2523 View Post
                          I live a long way from Arlington, so I'm not sure if the council cares to hear a non-resident complain. Just sad to find out that nobody wants to go get these people. I called APD, and they said to make a local police report, and if the local police thought it needed to go further they would relay the info to APD. Why can't I just call APD and give them the info? Every LEO I've talked to so far has told me I'm wasting my time filing a report. I just have a hard time thinking it's a waste of time if I have the places and times the crimes were committed! The video is there, they just have to go get it! Why have a "identity theft division" if it doesn't follow up on crimes committed?
                          Because $720 is minimal. It would cost more to get the video, find the perp, arrest them, and make it stick. There were no injury's, it was only fraud. They want the big fish to fry. We got hit for a limo ride and night on town in LA. Bank just asked a few questions and removed the charges.

Comment

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
                            We all pay for it in the end but;

With Credit Cards the fraud charges are absorbed and paid by the CC company

With Debit Cards the fraud charges are absorbed and paid by you

Moral of story, don't keep much money in your debit card account
                            My debit card has been hacked twice (most recent four weeks ago) and I have yet to pay or lose a dime. One they caught and one I caught.

I think the law requires credit cards covered and not debit cards which are essentially like writing a check by another means and isn't "credit". That does not stop a bank from doing so however. My bank covers all expenses.

I am not knocking the idea of not having $10,000 in a checking/debit account but it is not a blanket statement that debit cards are not covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Tailboard2523 View Post
                              I live a long way from Arlington, so I'm not sure if the council cares to hear a non-resident complain. Just sad to find out that nobody wants to go get these people. I called APD, and they said to make a local police report, and if the local police thought it needed to go further they would relay the info to APD. Why can't I just call APD and give them the info? Every LEO I've talked to so far has told me I'm wasting my time filing a report. I just have a hard time thinking it's a waste of time if I have the places and times the crimes were committed! The video is there, they just have to go get it! Why have a "identity theft division" if it doesn't follow up on crimes committed?
                              Okay, let's assume that they can get a viable picture from a video, which is unlikely. Who are the police going to look for? Let's say they're six detectives in that division. Out of the 4 million people in the DFW metroplex, who is going to pick a guy out from a photo in a dark bar? That is even assuming that he is from that area.

It is not a matter of doing police work. You would have a better chance of winning the mega million jackpot than someone recognizing a guy in a bar.

I have worked on various kinds of debit and credit card abuse. You get the case several days after it happened and you go ask a clerk if he or she remembers someone using a card with the name of ?????. You typically get the response of, I have no clue. If the person does one chance out of 100 remember somebody they will say yeah I remember a middle-aged white guy being here. Then we ask do you know who it is. The answer is not a clue.

Again, the odds of finding someone in such a case is like winning the lottery. I could deputize everybody on TBH and have them give their best effort and the results would be the same. Even if the police got a possible suspect's name, the clerk would have to pick the person out of a photo lineup for the DA to take the case.

On NCIS they can run a grainy photograph through a computer and bring the case try trial with a full confession. That doesn't happen in real life.

In every single credit or debit card case, the bank can tell us the time and place. That usually is the end of the investigation. It is not because the police do not want to catch the guy. Even with a name of a suspect the chances of filing a case are extremely slim.

Comment

I'm with you and completely understand you wanting the perp lock up. Unfortunately the reality is most cameras monitoring register transaction are mainly there to monitor the employee not the customer thus customer pics are normally poor quality. I worked for a big retail store at one time in the I.T. department. One of the things we did was make sure cameras were properly focused on the register till. Corporate is more concerned about the employees stealing then the general public.

Comment

Working...
                                X