Iowa Scouting Trip Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iowa Scouting Trip Timing

My hunting buddy and I purchased our 3rd point this year. We are hoping to draw a tag for the 2019 season. The plan is to hunt public land. I am wanting to make the trip up from East Texas early spring or so to scout. When is the best time for a scouting trip? Would like to go before green up when a lot of sign is still visible. Would be great to try and find some sheds at the same time. In Kansas we hunt out of a boat to get away from folks. I was hoping to find some good walk in stuff without the boat though, is it worth dragging boat up? Any certain regions you’d point someone to scout? Southern Iowa obviously closer.

Anyone

Comment

I’m not much help but I’m in the same boat as you. 3 points and plan to hunt public. One place I’m interested in checking out is Stephens State Forest. It’s thousands of acres in southern Iowa

Comment

Following for same...

Comment

Contact arrowsmith...he lives in iowa...

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH44 View Post
            I’m not much help but I’m in the same boat as you. 3 points and plan to hunt public. One place I’m interested in checking out is Stephens State Forest. It’s thousands of acres in southern Iowa
            Are you trying to go next fall or going to get more points?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
              Are you trying to go next fall or going to get more points?
              It’ll either be ‘19 or ‘20. There is also a chance I try to secure some private land to hunt on
              Last edited by DavidH44; 11-19-2018, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Late February to early March would be the best if you want to look for sheds. Lot of bucks are still holding in January.

Comment

Originally posted by mole View Post
                  Late February to early March would be the best if you want to look for sheds. Lot of bucks are still holding in January.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                    My hunting buddy and I purchased our 3rd point this year. We are hoping to draw a tag for the 2019 season. The plan is to hunt public land. I am wanting to make the trip up from East Texas early spring or so to scout. When is the best time for a scouting trip? Would like to go before green up when a lot of sign is still visible. Would be great to try and find some sheds at the same time. In Kansas we hunt out of a boat to get away from folks. I was hoping to find some good walk in stuff without the boat though, is it worth dragging boat up? Any certain regions you’d point someone to scout? Southern Iowa obviously closer.
                    I sent you some info in the other thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X