What I know about calling coyotes.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
    How much distance between your stands? Do you call immediately upon setting up or let it calm down some?
    For me it just depends on how windy it is. If I'm calling in 25+mph wind I'll make stands closer together. 300 or so yards apart roughly. As soon as I get my shooting sticks set up I start calling. I started calling last Winter on one stand and a coyote jumped up from behind some sagebrush 25 yards from me. If you're reasonably quiet they ain't gonna hear you. Just don't slam truck doors and whatnot and you'll be alright.

Comment

We just moved on to a new lease earlier this year and we have a ton of coyotes. Getting ready to try and remove a few as the deer season ends. GREAT thread. Thanks for all the info.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
          How much distance between your stands? Do you call immediately upon setting up or let it calm down some?
          I’m probably not a good case study for this as I am calling in very open farmland in the southern panhandle. Most of my spots are 1/4-1/2 section plots and I call them once for 15-30 mins, occasionally more. Then pick up and move to the next spot which may be a mile away or 20 miles away.

Okrattler- glad I’m not the only one missing shots...with the cold and extra clothing I was finding it difficult to steady the scope. I must admit, I get shakier now over an approaching coyote than I do a big buck.

Comment

Called in a double yesterday and should have had a bobcat that must have seen me move or something. Killed one of the coyotes at 70 yards with the 22-250.

Called a mangey one in the day before yesterday. My buddy shot it at 200 yards with his .243.
            Last edited by okrattler; 01-05-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I saw where Jeff Thomason (predator pursuit) had posted a video of them shooting a bobcat out of a high rack during the daytime. Have y’all ever tried that? I’m not a fan of daylight predator hunting mainly because I’m lazy and don’t like getting all camouflaged out and hiking to my spots, but if I could do it successfully from my high rack I’d be all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                I saw where Jeff Thomason (predator pursuit) had posted a video of them shooting a bobcat out of a high rack during the daytime. Have y’all ever tried that? I’m not a fan of daylight predator hunting mainly because I’m lazy and don’t like getting all camouflaged out and hiking to my spots, but if I could do it successfully from my high rack I’d be all over it.
                My buddy is in a wheelchair and he has a license to be able to hunt out of the truck as long as he's not on any public roadway. He's called in a bobcat while sitting in the truck and I called one up from the truck in broad daylight. It just sat down and looked at the truck. He messed around and didn't shoot it and it got away. Called it up for him again a week later and he missed it...twice. They're not very smart. Just like a big house cat pretty much.

As far as camo goes I never wear it and I only hunt in the day time except on trips to Texas. Sitting still is the main thing. I've called coyotes in wearing blaze orange before and killed them inside of 100 yards. Camouflage is more for the person wearing it than anything.
                Last edited by okrattler; 01-05-2018, 03:04 PM.

Comment

WTBBC this weekend. Who’s in?

Comment

We hunted in February.
                    Killed six coyotes and missed 2, got busted twice during the day and once at night...
                    Never saw a cat
                    Attached Files

Comment

Tagged to read through. We are going St. Patties day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

WTBBC this weekend. Last of the year. Who's in?
                        Thoughts on weather? Hot!

Comment

I’m bringing this back up and only read to page 6. What r your go tops right now to bring them from the dens? I had two groups responding last night one closed on but never commit. I say 1 hr 20 mins. First I located. Then I challenged a little. Than pup distress. During the distress they’d start to howl and occasionally bark during the calling. Given inhunt south Texas so I don’t have very many open areas usually hunt fence rows and decent clearing. I have success calling in daytime cats. Late evening early mornin. I get dogs to death run during the cooler months. This summertime stuff is new as I figure they don’t charge distress calls. Pup maybe.

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

Bringing this back up, finally got a Fox Pro Inferno with a mojo decoy, gonna try this evening. Great info here.

Comment

How’s the varmint hunting going this year? I’ve only been out once for Feb. WTBBC. We had a good night but nothing to get us in money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X