AR 15 builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elkaholic9292 View Post
    Anyone mind throwing a “best” list up there for the uninformed?
    I'm very particular about my AR's and what I own...they need to be very dependable. Some brands of what I have/use are LaRue, Noveske, BCM, LMT and Mega. These are pretty much all I will use..especially the first 3 I mentioned.

Comment

If you want a fun challenge, here is a sortable database compiled on arfcom of lightweight components. I built a 4# 300bo and love hunting with it.
      https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

The receiver is one of the least important parts, assuming it isn’t polymer and is machined to spec. Most uppers and lowers all come from the same handful of forges anyway. Spend your $ on a quality barrel, bolt carrier, trigger, and sights/optic.

PSA does make some quality stuff but they also push a lot of junk so be careful what you’re actually getting.

I wanted a general purpose carbine that was better than average across the board, without being a “bling piece.” Something that was 100% reliable and you could bet your life on, durable enough to make it through firing a couple thousand rounds in a carbine class over a weekend, accurate enough to have distance capability out to ~ 300 yards, and as lightweight and handy as possible without compromising the other criteria, on a $1,000 budget.

If I could spend an extra $20-30 on each part and end up with a superior rifle, I did, but I wasn’t going to spend 3 times as much or buy any gimmicky parts. Here’s my build list:

Runner runner Texas flag lower receiver
        Palmetto state armory lower build kit
        Palmetto state armory enhanced polished trigger
        JP Enterprises 3.5T enhanced reliability trigger spring kit
        Magpul CTR stock
        Magpul MOE grip
        H2 buffer
        Springco blue buffer spring

Palmetto state armory FN CHF 14.5" mid-length upper, pinned/fixed front sight
        Palmetto state armory premium BCG (FN bolt with Toolcraft carrier)
        BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle
        Troy folding rear battle sight
        Midwest industries drop in M-Lok hand guard
        Sig Romeo 5 red dot sight
        Magpul MS1 sling with Midwest industries recessed QD swivels

It meets my needs exceedingly well. I have around 1,000 rounds through it with no issues besides a few American Eagle rounds with crappy primers that didn’t fire. They didn’t go off in my buddies stock Daniel Defense rifle either, so I don’t think it was my gun. It will also function 100% with junk Wolf/Tula ammo.

There are more accurate rifles, lighter rifles, shorter rifles, harder-hitting rifles, prettier rifles, etc, but it’s hard to imagine a better general purpose, versatile gun that what I put together, at least without spending significantly more. I’m happy to answer questions about why I chose particular parts if anyone has some.
        Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 02-24-2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

These days you can pick up a Colt for under $1k complete. There is no reason to compromise on lesser quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Mega. JP. Noveske billet. There’s so many good ones it’s hard to name them all. Mega has always been one of the go to for precision builds. With that said, you can certainly build a hammer of a gun on other recievers. I’ve got a billet seekins lower with a Vltor mur upper that’s a hammer. If I take care of it lol. It’s my truck gun. 10.5” 5.56. It’s beat to heck. Filthy. Stays that way. It kills so I leave it alone.
            If it locks up tight then it will push out all the bedding material.

I have yet to see a barrel on any upper that would not move at least 1/16 of an inch at the end with no barrel nut in place. I like my barrels motionless even with no barrel nut in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              These days you can pick up a Colt for under $1k complete. There is no reason to compromise on lesser quality.

Agreed. If you just want a shooter it’s hard to beat the 6920 or 6970 prices right now. Personally, I think the Colt Combat Unit is the best deal out there for what you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                If it locks up tight then it will push out all the bedding material.

I have yet to see a barrel on any upper that would not move at least 1/16 of an inch at the end with no barrel nut in place. I like my barrels motionless even with no barrel nut in place.
                I know. I’m giving you a hard time lol. My smith claims they freeze the mega uppers before installing a barrel because the fit is so tight. I’m fixing to find that out with a JP in my maten

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  I know. I’m giving you a hard time lol. My smith claims they freeze the mega uppers before installing a barrel because the fit is so tight. I’m fixing to find that out with a JP in my maten

Wouldn’t they freeze the barrel if that’s the case?

Comment

Working...
                  X