How long will pigs make it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long will pigs make it?

Set out 100# of corn in my trap Sunday afternoon. With how warm it was yesterday I'm somewhat worried hogs could be rotting by Thursday, but I know it might take the hogs some time to get in there. I've been prebaiting for about a month now with the door wired open using my feeder. Got a 2 hour drive up if I want to check (hilltop lakes). Should I go ahead and check or think the rain next two days will keep em alive?

I check it everyday my trap is set, if your not there to check it everyday then you shouldn’t be trapping them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
      I check it everyday my trap is set, if your not there to check it everyday then you shouldn’t be trapping them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      X2. It's not as warm now, but one summer I set a trap in the middle of a pasture came back the next evening and 3 dead pigs in the trap. I definitely wouldn't let it go for more than 2 days even with the rain.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

TPWD requires that all traps, including box traps, for furbearing animals be checked every 36 hours...not sure if that would apply to hog traps too.

If I can't check them within 24 hours I won't even set them. Pigs can last a while without food but not long without water.

Comment

Yeah that's what I'm realizing. Want to get a wireless setup to keep an eye on it. Don't mind the drive if somethings there. Guess it's up the road I go then.

Comment

Once when working on a location, I had to pass a box trap going into the job. One morning there was a 150 lb. boar in there, sure he was caught the night before. He was dead when I left before noon. That trap was in a wide open pasture and it was summertime, plus he got aggravated evertime someone drove down the road.

I've had them in the trap from Wednesday until Saturday morning with no ill effects, but one side of the trap was always in the shade, plus I had water in one of those rubber troughs. Corral trap also and nobody bothered them.

Comment

Yeah, this is shaded well, but nothing to collect water or such.

Comment

Put a cell camera on it.

Comment

I think you should have this thread deleted as I’m pretty sure you are committing a violation by setting a trap and not checking it as often as required. Just my $.02.

Skinny

Comment

Getting some rain might save you. Next time you're up there throw in a rubbermaid water trough and won't have to worry so much.

Comment

I'm within 36 hours still. I've never let it go longer, just contemplating.

Good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                        I think you should have this thread deleted as I’m pretty sure you are committing a violation by setting a trap and not checking it as often as required. Just my $.02.

Skinny
                        Agreed and simply...not ethical even with hogs....

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post

Skinny
                          He said he's going to check it. Whether he does or not nobody knows!

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            He said he's going to check it. Whether he does or not nobody knows!
                            I'm trying to do the math on Sunday afternoon to Tuesday evening being 36 hours

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                              I'm trying to do the math on Sunday afternoon to Tuesday evening being 36 hours
                              Hey I'm with you guys, I just don't want the thread to get deleted because it has potential to go multiple pages!

But I was referring to this:
                              Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                              Yeah that's what I'm realizing. Want to get a wireless setup to keep an eye on it. Don't mind the drive if somethings there. Guess it's up the road I go then.

Comment

Working...
                              X