Do jeeps lose all value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
    A jeep will never be an asset for most people. They cost you money from day 1 and never make you any. Most people will sell them to stop the bleeding waaaay before they ever make any money using it. You can buy it and sell it for the same price and you still lost money and just the fuel cost never mind the up keep.

If its not making you money its a liability.

If you used it as a guide and owned it for 20 years maybe.
    What line of work are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
      I will be 129 then so frankly I don't give a ****,

Yeah I’ll be 108 and my Jeep will probably be running on flubber!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
        Yeah but the dust etc is terrible on rangers. I know you christoval guys get more rain than we do in the poor boy areas but dust is terrible at our place on a ranger.

Dust isnt much better in a jeep...and the **** gas fumes roll back over the back gate and choke you out in a soft top. If I'm gonna roll with the slowness of a Jeep, I'm using a truck with AC, HEAT, plenty of legroom and a bed

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
          x2??

This gentleman has a very interesting take on accounting definitions. There is a big difference between an ASSET and an INVESTMENT. I believe he has the two confused.

This is an interesting topic. I bought a '95 YJ seven years ago for my boys to drive. I wanted them to learn a stick and with no power steering, I figured they were much less likely to text and drive. One is out of college now and the other will be in about a year. Figure I will be selling it when the 2nd one graduates. I bought it for $3600 and have put about $3K into it besides gas (motor mounts, starter, tires, battery, soft top and LineX on the interior). You guys are giving me hope that I may not make out too poorly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
            x2??

This gentleman has a very interesting take on accounting definitions. There is a big difference between an ASSET and an INVESTMENT. I believe he has the two confused.

This is an interesting topic. I bought a '95 YJ seven years ago for my boys to drive. I wanted them to learn a stick and with no power steering, I figured they were much less likely to text and drive. One is out of college now and the other will be in about a year. Figure I will be selling it when the 2nd one graduates. I bought it for $3600 and have put about $3K into it besides gas (motor mounts, starter, tires, battery, soft top and LineX on the interior). You guys are giving me hope that I may not make out too poorly.
            Kind of my thought.

Comment

It's a depreciating asset.

Not as rapidly depreciating as some,
              but generally that's what it is.

Comment

Customer service

Comment

x2??

You could be right but my understanding is the main difference between assets and liabilities is that assets provide a future economic benefit, while liabilities present a future obligation. When I apply that logic to a jeep new or used, financed or pay cash I just see it as liability while I own it. I just pray like heck I can break even when I sell it. which is why i know its not an investment more like a calculated risk. I'm always realistic of their value when I buy and sell my jeeps.

Your YJ should sell for close to what you have in it if its clean and a 4.0 straight 6. The YJ is the red headed step child in the Jeep world but I loved mine. Just depends on if the buyer is wanting that body style.

Comment

Customer service
                    He is a banker...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                      He is a banker...
                      Really? I have never seen a bank that looks at accounting terms like this. Learn something new every day.

Comment

Really? I have never seen a bank that looks at accounting terms like this. Learn something new every day.
                        I was referring to you. Aren’t you in the banking business?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                          I was referring to you. Aren’t you in the banking business?
                          I gotcha. Yes sir, I am

Comment

Your YJ should sell for close to what you have in it if its clean and a 4.0 straight 6. The YJ is the red headed step child in the Jeep world but I loved mine. Just depends on if the buyer is wanting that body style.
                            It's just a 4 banger and you are correct about the YJs. They are the most "affordable" of the Wranglers. I'm not Jeep purist. I just wanted something so the boys would learn to drive a stick (on something other than my '63 corvette), and minimize risk of texting and speeding. Mission accomplished. My youngest did get called into the principals office (along with every other jeep owner) because they had the brilliant idea of parking in all the medians and hillsides and even on top of each other. They were told to knock it off. I thought it was kind of funny.

Comment

Jeeps hold their value because people like and want them.
                              Nissan Muranos aren't really a hot item.

Comment

I just wanted something so the boys would learn to drive a stick, and minimize risk of texting and speeding.
                                Exactly why I got the 4cyl TJ for my 2 daughters to learn on. they still have a couple years but we are working on it. and I also wanted something that if/when something is damaged I can just bolt a new heavier after market piece back on vs a body shop bill. well, at least that's the hope.

Comment

Working...
                                X