How many broadheads are one and done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many broadheads are one and done?

I was cleaning up after my hunt this past weekend and noticed something about the two different broadheads I used. The Slick Trick, which admittedly is a much more compact broadhead, was just fine after zipping through a deer and sticking in the ground. The Jak Hammer, which did a fantastic job killing the hog, only went through soft tissue, no bones, at 35yds bent the ferrule when it hit the far side ribcage. Blades were still sharp as all get out but the head was ruined.

Not saying the JH failed because it killed the hell out of the hog, but I was surprised it couldn't handle the ribcage after slowing down through 28" of soft tissue. Had to chunk it. Still have two of them which I intend to use, but is it common to only get one use out of a mechanical?

I plan to try one of my remaining Jak Hammer heads on a big hog tomorrow if my lease isnt completely flooded. I'll see how it holds up through both sides of the ribcage if I'm able to retrieve it.

I consider EVERY broad head "once and done".

Comment

It's not uncommon to be one and done with mechanicals. Just a lot of variables

It's easier to mess up the ferrules on mechanicals because they are typically longer than fixed

Last pig I killed was with a slick trick and it broke a blade off and bent the tip; then ive shot a mechanical and be able to pick it up and shoot it again. so really you never know what is going to happen with you stick something

I only resharpen or replace the blades on heads that I use for pigs and coons. Deer i usually use brand new head every time
      Last edited by kd350; 01-18-2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
        Same here

Comment

I shoot 100 gr Muzzy 3 blade, change the blades after shooting....

Comment

I shoot G5s. Just re sharpen and shoot again.

Comment

All depends on the heads. Years ago I even sharpened my muzzy. Now if it has replaceable blades. If damaged I replace if it still has an edge but not as sharp as I like I will touch them up. Fixed heads just sharpen. I started shooting zwickeys several years ago. Still shooting them. Just sharpen.

If your shooting good heads I'm talking $40 each. Of course you sharpen. But most of them heads will make several kills and never dull unless rock is hit.

Comment

my slick tricks keep killing over and over before needing to replace the blades.

Comment

yeap.

If it makes it from a deer it gets pig/critter duty.

Whats 40 bucks a year in broadheads in the grand scheme of deer hunting? I dont get trying to save that after all the other expense.

Comment

2 times

Comment

Me too. I have too much time and expense invested into the hunt to have second thoughts or doubts about the arrow I am about to release.

After the kill, I retire the arrow and broadhead. I write the date on the fletching with a sharpie and any notes pertinent to the hunt. I Display the arrows proudly on a European mount in my garage.

Comment

Like it!

Originally posted by DeerGeek View Post
                        Me too. I have too much time and expense invested into the hunt to have second thoughts or doubts about the arrow I am about to release.

After the kill, I retire the arrow and broadhead. I write the date on the fletching with a sharpie and any notes pertinent to the hunt. I Display the arrows proudly on a European mount in my garage.
                        Wish I'd been doing this. All I have is pile (small) of broadheads. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DeerGeek View Post

Cool idea. Might just do that myself.

I'm not so worried about the expense. I was just surprised the head had taken so much damage after one use.

Comment

If I shoot a broadhead, I write it and the arrow off. If I recover the arrow and it isn't broken, that's a bonus. If I recover the arrow and the arrow and broadhead are still good, then it is a bigger bonus. This year I broke a toxic fixed blade in a pig when it hung up in the offside shoulder. It broke the ferrule. I shot a fixed blade Drone and ripped two blades off it when it hit a rock after passing through another pig. It also bent the ferrule. I shot a doe and a pig with the same Dueler mechanical broadhead before the third pig broke the ferrule where the blades are attached. It had a slight bulge there after shooting the first pig with it. I think it depends on the circumstances with any broadhead as to whether or not it is re-usable.

Comment

I have never, ever not one time used the same broadhead again with out sharpening it.
                              it could never be as sharp after passing thru an animal as it was before you shot it

Comment

Working...
                              X