This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog problems HELP!

First year and a half I saw zero pigs. Like everyone's story, one day it started that a few would come every once in a while. I tried to shoot them out, but I'm only at my place every couple of weeks for a day or so. I could not catch them out when I was there. It has ballooned to about 30 pigs now. I see very few deer. The hogs are there all the time, coming morning and night. I have a large hog trap with panels I going to put up this month in hopes of catching as many as I can. A buddy told me I can borrow his box trap as well. My issue is I'm only there a few days a month and won't be able to set it very often. Maybe one night at a time.

I feed year around and HAD a nice group of deer visiting. I don't want to just stop feeding and push them onto someone else. At this point I don't have any handle on this problem that is spinning out of control! Advice?
    Attached Files

Put hog panels up around your feeders.

Comment

You do have problems. Hog panels, trap, and some thermal is needed

Comment

Cease filling feeders. Feed cotton seed to the deer for now until under control. There should be enough forage for them until you can get a handle on the hogs.

Or switch feeders to gravity feeders.

Or keep feeding the swine and call in some killers.

Comment

Can’t hunt them away. Gotta take food away. Build feed pens big enough that feed doesn’t sling outside. Put any type of shot on them you get when you get a chance. Start carrying shotgun with buckshot in it for better chances. It just takes one pellet in the big part

Comment

PM sent to you Deepwoods.

Comment

Best bet is hog panels around your feeder

Comment

Feeder pens, and build a corral trap.

Comment

Leave box trap at buddies. Big traps, and thermals. If your set in having feeders, fence them. No need to feed corn in spring other that draw turkeys and hogs

Comment

Since nobody said it yet, Feeder pens....

Also, get someone to come run hog dogs. Pressure is the best way to run them off. Dogs put the most pressure on hogs. Your deer will stay there and the hogs will be gone for a while

Comment

I feel for you. Fencing feeders off helps a lot, but hogs won’t necessarily leave if they can find other food. Got to shoot and trap just to keep them in control. This weekend made 58 hogs killed or trapped by me this year. My neighbors have gotten to old to control hogs, so the job now has fallen on me to control

Comment

As stated, panels around your feeders AND set up a dedicated hog feeder away from your other feeders without panels. They will come to that and leave the ones with panels alone. A big coral trap is nice as well, but never will eliminate all of them. I have also found if you can find where they are bedded and shoot into them while napping it flat out rattles them and survivors will stay away for quite some time.

Comment

Did anyone suggest feeder pens. Lol. It will keep them off your feeders so your deer have a chance.

Since you are there only a day or 2 at a time, it will be hard to catch them in a trap but I have gotten lucky a few times and they found it on the first night after being baited.

I would also suggest thermal scope to make the most of you time while u are there.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                            Put hog panels up around your feeders.
                            Do this. Of course they are coming every day when you are slinging corn at 'em.

Comment

You could get a cheap feeder and build a panel trap around that feeder. Ideally they will come in to the pen each night while you are away, but when you get to your ranch, you could set the trap and hope to catch them one of the nights you are there. I’m thinking of a saloon door type gate, or drop gate, which you just leave open or unset until you are there.

Comment

Working...
                              X