A little PRS style 22RF I put together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little PRS style 22RF I put together

Been collecting parts for this puppy for a year or so. Finally got everything in, and screwed it together last night. Seems strange, but I am more excited about this 10/22 than I have been about several of the last few centerfire rifle build ups I have done. Now it needs to warm up so I can go shoot it! Got about 5k of various subs I need to go burn up.

Kidd receiver with Titan rear hold down
    Kidd ultralight 16.5" barrel, threaded
    Brimstone Tier II trigger set at 2 lbs
    "Que" worked bolt from back in the day
    Kidd interchangeable spring charging handle
    Kidd buffer and receiver pins, Volquartson take down screw and extractor
    Victor Titan stock in OD Green
    Silencerco Spectre II
    Sightron 3x9 Mil Dot (will probably be replaced) in Burris Signature rings

IMG_3719 by , on Flickr

That's bad ***.

Comment

SWEEEEETT! Bet that would be a squirrel getter for sure!

Comment

I like!

Comment

That Victor Titan stock is the real deal. It has an aluminum bedding block, plus rear hold down screw as well. Pretty much makes the bedding system like normal rifle and not that teeter totter effect you get with the original setup. And it is a very rigid stock as well. Light years ahead of the Butler Creek and some of those. Very good ergonomics.

That stock is probably my favorite part of the whole rifle. Not that Kidd doesn't make excellent parts, they do. But the stock is where the rubber meets the road and just makes the whole thing feel right.

Pretty light little rifle too, considering it has a bipod, can, and very solid stock. I have built more than a couple custom 10/22's, but my kids keep taking off with them. This one is all mine, and by far my favorite of the bunch.

Comment

Nice looking rifle. Hope it does all you expect.

Comment

That thing is friggin' SWEET! If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have in this rifle, not including the scope & rings? If you'd rather not say, I understand.

Comment

That's really a nice rifle you have put together... You may be pleasantly surprised with the Sightron. I am not familiar with that model but I do have an Sll that is my favorite scope ever.

Back when I was a good shot with a rifle, it was from shooting a similar 10/22 on a regular basis.

I see that you're going to be shooting subs but if you ever want to shoot some ammo with some thump try out CCI Velocitors. Every target barrel that I have shot loved the Velocitors. Bring up ammo, you do know not to shoot the long brass shells like stingers. They will trash the chamber in your barrel.

Once again, she's a beauty. Go out and shoot her and let us know what we already know, that she shoots as good as she looks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                  That thing is friggin' SWEET! If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have in this rifle, not including the scope & rings? If you'd rather not say, I understand.
                  Golly. Not sure I want to add it up, LMAO!

Truth is, I have been piecing it together for a year or two. It actually started as my Dad's old rifle that I was was going to do a pretty much DIY "sleeper" out of. The bolt was headspaced and pinned by a guy on RFC named Que that used to do that work, maybe $30? Brimstone tier II trigger was maybe $75? I am running off memory so I could easily be off. Got the rings for $40, and the scope was $75 on clearance from SWFA with a THF discount. Que also took the factory barrel, set it back and rechambered with a match reamer, and re-crowned. I think $40 on that. So at that point I was in it for maybe $185 or so. But take out $40 of that for work on a barrel I didn't use (and will probably sell).

But then I found a problem. When I went to cerakote the action it was cracked, right through the web under the ejection port. I shelved the project for about a year, trying to figure out what to do. If I was gonna have to buy a new action I didn't want to go back factory. I looked at Kidd, Fedderson, NDS, Tac Sol, maybe another one or two. In the end prices were close enough that I decided to just go with the Kidd receiver. I think it was like $175, plus $25 transfer fee to my FFL.

Once I was at that point, I was in deep enough I decided I would just go ahead and do what it took to build what I really wanted, and just pick up the parts as finances/birthday/Christmas allowed. Various Kidd/VQ parts, probably $75-100. Barrel was $185. Titan stock was $170, add the rear hold down for another $50.

Adding all that up it looks like I m in it about $850 with optic. But I started with a donor for the bolt and trigger group I had worked over, and didn't have to buy them. And of course that doesn't include a $350 Spectre II and $200 tax stamp.

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                    That's really a nice rifle you have put together... You may be pleasantly surprised with the Sightron. I am not familiar with that model but I do have an Sll that is my favorite scope ever.

Back when I was a good shot with a rifle, it was from shooting a similar 10/22 on a regular basis.

I see that you're going to be shooting subs but if you ever want to shoot some ammo with some thump try out CCI Velocitors. Every target barrel that I have shot loved the Velocitors. Bring up ammo, you do know not to shoot the long brass shells like stingers. They will trash the chamber in your barrel.

Once again, she's a beauty. Go out and shoot her and let us know what we already know, that she shoots as good as she looks.
                    That Sightron has a Mil-Dot reticle, something I really wanted. I have a 200 yard range here at work and my goal is to use this rifle as a trainer, putting a couple hundred (or more) rounds a week through it practicing distance and wind holds, That is why I built it the way I did.

Anyways, I did get it out yesterday and zeroed it at 50 on a piece of steel using CCI SV. According to some research I did yesterday I will probably have to move to a 100 yard zero (mimimum) to get me to 200 using 5 mil worth of holdover. In fact, I will probably have to zero at 100 using the first dot above center to get there.

The rifle seemed to shoot well. I didn't measure any groups but once I was on I could easily hit the 1" bolt heads with every round. I will get into hard core ammo tuning and selection next week if it will warm up. Things aren't looking good on the warm up thing though. I have a pretty good selection of quality subs and standard velocity target ammo to test out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                      Golly. Not sure I want to add it up, LMAO!

Truth is, I have been piecing it together for a year or two. It actually started as my Dad's old rifle that I was was going to do a pretty much DIY "sleeper" out of. The bolt was headspaced and pinned by a guy on RFC named Que that used to do that work, maybe $30? Brimstone tier II trigger was maybe $75? I am running off memory so I could easily be off. Got the rings for $40, and the scope was $75 on clearance from SWFA with a THF discount. Que also took the factory barrel, set it back and rechambered with a match reamer, and re-crowned. I think $40 on that. So at that point I was in it for maybe $185 or so. But take out $40 of that for work on a barrel I didn't use (and will probably sell).

But then I found a problem. When I went to cerakote the action it was cracked, right through the web under the ejection port. I shelved the project for about a year, trying to figure out what to do. If I was gonna have to buy a new action I didn't want to go back factory. I looked at Kidd, Fedderson, NDS, Tac Sol, maybe another one or two. In the end prices were close enough that I decided to just go with the Kidd receiver. I think it was like $175, plus $25 transfer fee to my FFL.

Once I was at that point, I was in deep enough I decided I would just go ahead and do what it took to build what I really wanted, and just pick up the parts as finances/birthday/Christmas allowed. Various Kidd/VQ parts, probably $75-100. Barrel was $185. Titan stock was $170, add the rear hold down for another $50.

Adding all that up it looks like I m in it about $850 with optic. But I started with a donor for the bolt and trigger group I had worked over, and didn't have to buy them. And of course that doesn't include a $350 Spectre II and $200 tax stamp.
                      Very cool little gun. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                      X