Disappointing broadhead performance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointing broadhead performance...

I switched to Magnus 125gr. Black Hornet Buzz Cuts, and made what I thought was a perfect shot. I hit him just behind the shoulder on the right side and angled through the shoulder on the opposite side. It was text book. The arrow zipped though him so fast that, when it hit the ground on the other side of the deer, it shoved the insert into the shaft and the broadhead broke off. I never did find the broadhead or the nock. The spike ran a full 150 yards with very little blood trail. I was just lucky to find him, as he almost made it into a thick ravine. I had a similar result on a pig that I shot the day before, but I didn't find him until after the coyotes had feasted. I would rather not shoot the Buzz Cuts, but the regular broadheads are unobtainable right now.

Shoot em in the heart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
      Shoot em in the heart

He dropped at the shot. I will have a video from a couple angles on my Youtube sight soon.

Comment

Post a link to the video. 150 yds really ain’t that far for a lung shot. It isn’t the broad head those things are legit.

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
          Post a link to the video. 150 yds really ain’t that far for a lung shot. It isn’t the broad head those things are legit.

More disappointed in the blood trail than the distance.

Comment

Why are you dissapointed? Entrance is a tad high and the exit is up in the front shoulder/neck area where you probably not get a lot of blood. The entrance is at a place where when that deer is running, he is covering up the entrance hole with the shoulder muscles and skin. Things happen, but this is not the BH's fault!

Comment

The holes ain’t low enough for a good blood trail. I bet the cavity was full.
              I have used those heads for many years now and only had any trouble with recovery a couple times when hunting off the ground and holes were mid body level.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                The holes ain’t low enough for a good blood trail. I bet the cavity was full.
                I have used those heads for many years now and only had any trouble with recovery a couple times when hunting off the ground and holes were mid body level.
                I've killed 150+ animals with a bow over the years, so I have a large sample size to judge. I generally get a pretty good blood trail with a mid-chest hit. I don't expect it to spray, but I do expect to be able to follow it to the animal. This is one reason that I don't like serrated heads. I like a surgical sharp head with no interruptions, and I just can't get the regular Black Hornets right now.

Comment

Without finding head hard to tell how it did. If it ain’t sharp...it’s just a hole
                  Last edited by Low Fence; 10-05-2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I’ve never had a problem with any magnus broad heads. Every deer I’ve shot with them have expired within eye sight. Although I’ve never shot the black hornets.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                      I've killed 150+ animals with a bow over the years, so I have a large sample size to judge. I generally get a pretty good blood trail with a mid-chest hit. I don't expect it to spray, but I do expect to be able to follow it to the animal. This is one reason that I don't like serrated heads. I like a surgical sharp head with no interruptions, and I just can't get the regular Black Hornets right now.

And i thought serrated was better? I just ordered serrated ..

Why is serrated not as good in your opinion?

Comment

All deer are different. It's not the broadhead.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Agreed. I've had passthroughs with Rage Extremes a little high with virtually 0 blood. Inch or two lower and it's a bloodbath.

Comment

Think this is a case of **** happens. I double lunged one Saturday morning with a Muzzy Buzzcut and still had 170 yd. Bloodtrail. Best I can deduce is, "It be that way sometimes!".

Comment

After shooting deer with fixed blades and mechanicals, if you want short blood trails that are easy to follow, a big mechanical is the answer. There ain’t nothing wrong with that shot. Just a poor blood trail, which is typical from a fixed blade. Some of the guys that are fixed blade only don’t know what a real blood trail looks like. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X