Simple moving target rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple moving target rig

Was toying with how to make a moving practice target that anyone could replicate with the simplest materials, and that could be operated by one person. Motivation is to gain practice shooting at a target not sitting still, such as hogs on a spot-and-stalk hunt -- affectionately termed by some as "spook and shoot".

Anyway, all that is needed for this rig is a couple of cheap metal fence posts (actually could use conduit, pipe, or a couple of handy trees), some ordinary string, 3 large paper clips, a piece of cardboard and spring grip clamp (as a forward weight).

Tie the string tautly at a fairly steep downward angle from one post to the other in front of your target butt or backstop. Stick a couple of the paper clips at the top of the cardboard piece at front and back and hook them over the string. Attach the clamp to the lower front corner of the cardboard. String angle needs to be steep enough for weighted cardboard to slide freely from the top toward the lower end of string. Once that angle is set to satisfaction, set the cardboard piece at the top and chock the leading paper clip with the third paperclip to hold it at the ready position. Tie a fairly long piece of string to this third paperclip and back up a few yards and make a loop in the other end large enough to put your foot through. This will be the "trigger" for the rig.

Once all is ready, with foot in trigger loop and an arrow is nocked in your bow, simply pull your foot with string loop to remove the paperclip chock, and then shoot the moving target.

Will add pics of all this via phone in a edit. Pics will show set-up and first three shots I took from about 5 yards. Only limitation to rig would be how much string you wanted to play out for trip wire.

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
    Was toying with how to make a moving practice target that anyone could replicate with the simplest materials, and that could be operated by one person. Motivation is to gain practice shooting at a target not sitting still, such as hogs on a spot-and-stalk hunt -- affectionately termed by some as "spook and shoot".

Anyway, all that is needed for this rig is a couple of cheap metal fence posts (actually could use conduit, pipe, or a couple of handy trees), some ordinary string, 3 large paper clips, a piece of cardboard and spring grip clamp (as a forward weight).

Tie the string tautly at a fairly steep downward angle from one post to the other in front of your target butt or backstop. Stick a couple of the paper clips at the top of the cardboard piece at front and back and hook them over the string. Attach the clamp to the lower front corner of the cardboard. String angle needs to be steep enough for weighted cardboard to slide freely from the top toward the lower end of string. Once that angle is set to satisfaction, set the cardboard piece at the top and chock the leading paper clip with the third paperclip to hold it at the ready position. Tie a fairly long piece of string to this third paperclip and back up a few yards and make a loop in the other end large enough to put your foot through. This will be the "trigger" for the rig.

Once all is ready, with foot in trigger loop and an arrow is nocked in your bow, simply pull your foot with string loop to remove the paperclip chock, and then shoot the moving target.

Will add pics of all this via phone in a edit. Pics will show set-up and first three shots I took from about 5 yards. Only limitation to rig would be how much string you wanted to play out for trip wire.
    Here's pics:
    Pics got slighly out of sequence -- last image shows close-up of "trigger" paperclip holding target at the top of string.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Now add some limbs, trees and make it bounce and dodge.[emoji6][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Now add some limbs, trees and make it bounce and dodge.[emoji6][emoji16]

Okay, smartguy: stick some brush in front and shoot from a rocking chair.

Comment

[emoji106][emoji106]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Always got an answer. May have to try it if a cant talk my wife into dragging my pig target around in the wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              Always got an answer. May have to try it if a cant talk my wife into dragging my pig target around in the wagon.

Yes sir, on answers! I'll take that as a compliment.

That would be really cool if you could put pig 3D target on wagon and get somebody to drag it around.

Comment

Thanks, Bisch! I appreciate the double thumbs up!

Just shooting 3 moving target shots helped me. Here's the next shot (after those moving target shots). Backed up from 5 to 15 yards, btw. Just shot at the center of target trying to hit the bare string. Hit it.

Comment

If not her maybe the grandson . . .

Comment

Pretty cool setup.

I've got a motorized one (yeah, I'm always making things harder than they need to be).

It works great, but runs the batteries down to fast. I just need to get some bigger batteries with a good solar charger for remote operation, and a good power supply for when I have an outlet to plug into.

Rick

Comment

Thinkin' folks could use this in an FSC set-up. Easy enough that anyone could do it.
                      Right?

Comment

If you think we have limited participation now . . .
                        Then again most folks prolly aren't as lazy as me.[emoji4]
                        Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                        Thinkin' folks could use this in an FSC set-up. Easy enough that anyone could do it.
                        Right?

Comment

As our friend Ben will verify I need one that will simulate (sp.) a charging hog at 40 mph.
                          I missed the 2nd one Sun. morning at no more than 5 feet! I didn't think it was possible to miss anything at that distance but I guess if you're wondering if you're abt to die its hard to concentrate on your form. Lol

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie View Post
                            As our friend Ben will verify I need one that will simulate (sp.) a charging hog at 40 mph.
                            I missed the 2nd one Sun. morning at no more than 5 feet! I didn't think it was possible to miss anything at that distance but I guess if you're wondering if you're abt to die its hard to concentrate on your form. Lol

I gotta get me a Go Pro !

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie View Post

Ok! Workin' on it!

Glad you're okay, Ronnie!

Comment

Working...
                              X