Scope recommendation for AR/6.5 Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope recommendation for AR/6.5 Grendel

Hey everyone, hoping to get some advice as far as scopes for a build I am putting together. It's a 6.5 Grendel on an Ar15 platform. Went to Bass Pro Shops and asked an "expert" a few questions... He went on to tell me I needed magnification in the 20s to shoot 600 yards. I am just not sure that is necessary after reading a thread on the Sniper's Hide forum. I might need to go up to 14 or 16, or could even go with something at the 10x level if I wanted.

Philosophy of use... Going to be a rifle that I would like to have fun shooting at longer range, right now I don't see the possibility of a shot longer than 800, and more likely going to be close to 600 in the field. Hoping to use it for hogs when I am not banging steel, and I have the opportunity to shoot them across a valley and in an open field.

Another question, should I go with a first focal plane or second focal plane? I don't really understand the benefits of either, or what would be best for me at that distance.

I hear a lot about vortex on here and it seems to be more negative than positive. Should I stay away from them? What about Nikon? Leupold? I have a Nikon Buckmaster and like it on my 30-06, but haven't had a shot further than 150 yds, so not much to go by.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Uhhhh I run a 1-8 on mine and have shot it 500 yards no problem. 600 would be no different.

Magnification for long range is a myth. When I shoot to 1000 I rarely go over 12x. I would look at something sensible that has the features you want but no need to over do it. The only exception is if you are using the rifle scope to glass for animals or something of that nature.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I put a vortex 3-18 Strikeagle on my Grendel and like it a lot.

Comment

For magnification, some guys want all they can get, others think a medium amount is all you need.

For me it is just a question of - how close do you want your target to appear to be? 8X, 12X, 20X?

I feel like I aim better with more magnification. I definitely want that target to appear as close as possible.

When will it ever hurt to have the option to crank the scope up to 16, 18 or 20X? The only time I can think of is when you buy the scope, because you will spend more for this on a quality scope.

Comment

Anyone put a Sightmark Wraith on their Grendel? I figured I could take it off my .223 and throw it on my Grendel, then put my Bushnell 223 BDC back on that.

Comment

I have a gunsmith friend that runs the Athlon Argos and the Arken EP4 in 6-24 range. They shoot their grendels out to 900 yards pretty regularly. Those scopes run in the $500-$600 range. One of the 2 is likely what my Grendel will wear.

Comment

Originally posted by silencer2011 View Post
              I have a gunsmith friend that runs the Athlon Argos and the Arken EP4 in 6-24 range. They shoot their grendels out to 900 yards pretty regularly. Those scopes run in the $500-$600 range. One of the 2 is likely what my Grendel will wear.
              Stopped by APR today since they are a block north of my house and they recommended the Athlon ares btr 4.5-27x50. Around $850 so a bit out of my price range.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                Stopped by APR today since they are a block north of my house and they recommended the Athlon ares btr 4.5-27x50. Around $850 so a bit out of my price range.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
                call Doug @ Camera Land 516-217-1000. they always have great deals on the Athlon ares. Got mine for under $500. Great glass for the price and has illuminated reticule.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                  call Doug @ Camera Land 516-217-1000. they always have great deals on the Athlon ares. Got mine for under $500. Great glass for the price and has illuminated reticule.
                  Thank you. Going to try my sightmark Wraith first (the free route, haha) then if that doesn't work, go the Athlon way. I also saw a scope from primary arms that I liked.

Comment

Anyone put a Sightmark Wraith on their Grendel? I figured I could take it off my .223 and throw it on my Grendel, then put my Bushnell 223 BDC back on that.
                    I have one on my grendel but I don't shoot long distances. It has done me well but I haven't shot over 150 yds yet. The benefit I see, especially shooting steel, is the different weapon profiles. You can use those for different yardages and just switch profiles rather than worrying about lines on a reticle, etc.

Comment

I have a wraith on one of my grendels, works great. Works great for hunting distances. Would not work well for long range. Digital scopes do not have the clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                        I have one on my grendel but I don't shoot long distances. It has done me well but I haven't shot over 150 yds yet. The benefit I see, especially shooting steel, is the different weapon profiles. You can use those for different yardages and just switch profiles rather than worrying about lines on a reticle, etc.
                        Yes, I figured a profile with the corresponding yardage aka 1 for 100 2 for 200 etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                          I have a wraith on one of my grendels, works great. Works great for hunting distances. Would not work well for long range. Digital scopes do not have the clarity.
                          Yes, figured clarity might take a hit. Thank you for your input.

Comment

Working...
                          X