No announcement yet.

Homemade catfish baits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 gallon bucket with Cheese, deer or beef brains, buttermilk. Used to be able to get the cheese from a place up around Lufkin area. I'll see if I can find the contact info. I think the cheese comes already broken down. Grind brains up in blender and mix in with cheese and gallon of buttermilk. Set bucket out in the sun and stir up every day or so, till it is consistency of pudding. Take a smaller container like a coffee can or a little bigger container and pour some of the mixture in it. Get some cat tails like you find around some ponds, and shred them into the bait till it thickens up a little. The cat tails allow you to dip a bare treble hook in the bait and have it hold to the hook. This bait is primarily for calm water fishing straight down with a slip cork or tight line about 2-3 ft off the bottom.

Comment

I have been wanting to try this one. maybe I will get some made before I head to the llano on the fourth.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
        http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=633570

I have been wanting to try this one. maybe I will get some made before I head to the llano on the fourth.
        Yea this is the one i was talking about above.

Comment

I have a recipe that my dad and his buddies used in Arkansas on yo-yo's. Doesn't stink, main ingredient is cotton seed meal, flour and asafetida. I could type it up, or I could fax a copy of the handwritten instructions. After finishing, it is cooked and sealed in mason jars.

Comment

Originally posted by skipetex View Post
            I was using Sonnys bait during the day. I don't do much fishing at nite.
            I've noticed the Sonnys in this area has pretty much disappeared from shelves as well. Seems like I read somewhere last year that they were building a new facility to make it or something and would be shut down for a while.... is that what happened or are they done for good? Would love to find a good replacement for it because it catches fish.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
              I've noticed the Sonnys in this area has pretty much disappeared from shelves as well. Seems like I read somewhere last year that they were building a new facility to make it or something and would be shut down for a while.... is that what happened or are they done for good? Would love to find a good replacement for it because it catches fish.
              When I called them they said a part of their machinery was tore up and would be a while to fix. Also changed their name to SSS triple S or something like that.

Comment

Well, I found the answer to my question above... sharing for anyone interested.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bait.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	24543097

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                  I have a recipe that my dad and his buddies used in Arkansas on yo-yo's. Doesn't stink, main ingredient is cotton seed meal, flour and asafetida. I could type it up, or I could fax a copy of the handwritten instructions. After finishing, it is cooked and sealed in mason jars.
                  I'd be interested. Pm me or whatever you want to do. Th asnks

Comment

This was a good one posted a few years back....

"Super Daves Sweet Lips Bait".
                    1 large Peanut butter
                    8 bananas extra ripe
                    2cans cream of cheddar soup
                    1 cup thick molasses
                    3# flour.

Comment

Danny kings is some good stuff for channel cats. It is a punch bait not a dip bait so no sponge required and it stays on super good. We use #4 or #6 treble hook. If you can find and catch fresh shad thats the best catfish your gonna find. Especially for blue cats.

Comment

skipetex, you have a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skipetex View Post
                          When I called them they said a part of their machinery was tore up and would be a while to fix. Also changed their name to SSS triple S or something like that.

According to their Facebook page, they rebuilt a big part of the factory and changed the name. If you need some, go to Baileys in Daingerfield. Last I looked they had some.

Comment

grandfather used to use big red and corn flakes. he would empty a box of cornflakes and put big red on it slowly mashing and mushing it in. When it would get to the right thickness he would use part of sponge on a treble hook and pack it on and it worked great.

Game warden told me last year his favorite home made bait for the brazos river is a package of chicken gizzards placed in a gallon ziplock bag. Add a can of garlic powder and half a package of velveta cheese. seal up and place on your roof for a couple of days. I have never tried it but seen him pull several nice cats out of the river.

I like shad or perch

Comment

Oh the most expensive baits I ever heard of was an old telephone my cousin got caught with on the trinity river. He was bragging how well it worked all the way up until the game warden pulled up. pretty good ticket for his dumb A22

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                                grandfather used to use big red and corn flakes. he would empty a box of cornflakes and put big red on it slowly mashing and mushing it in. When it would get to the right thickness he would use part of sponge on a treble hook and pack it on and it worked great.

Game warden told me last year his favorite home made bait for the brazos river is a package of chicken gizzards placed in a gallon ziplock bag. Add a can of garlic powder and half a package of velveta cheese. seal up and place on your roof for a couple of days. I have never tried it but seen him pull several nice cats out of the river.

I like shad or perch
                                When I was a kid fishing up on Lake Livingston At that old HIlton on the Lake just over the 190 bridge a teen aged kid was using the corn flakes and big red and tearing them up. We started using it and it worked great. haven't used that since I was a kid.

A friend of ours used to mix up a bunch of bird seeds and let it sour in a bucket out in the sun for a few weeks. He would throw that out where ever we fished and we would always do really good.

Comment

Working...
                                X