How to Reduce Pressure on Property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Reduce Pressure on Property?

I have some questions for you guys on what you all do to prevent pressuring deer. How do you guys prevent pressure on your land/leases? Do you walk a long way to prevent driving your vehicle and/or ATV/UTV? The reason I'm asking is because our property is fairly small (under 400 acres) and I was curious to see if you guys do anything in particular to help reduce pressure. What time do yall like to get to your feeders in the morning? I feel like we get to our stands plenty early in the morning (6am), but as we are walking there we will bust some deer out. Do you think it's better to have someone drive and drop you off to prevent the deer from running and busting you? Do you hunt a feeder only on a special circumstance (i.e. pressure, wind, etc.)? I know that there are a bunch of different opinions on this topic but I'd really like to hear what works for you and the reasons you do it.

No opinions or suggestions?

Comment

Each property and location is different. On some places out west I have seen people almost get ran over by deer while driving their pickup to the stand, because they knew the pickup was like a food truck for them with the corn feeder on it. On same place you start up a four wheeler or utv and they are high tailing it to the next county. This was mostly due to seeing the trucks filling feeders all summer as well as a rancher driving his truck through the ranch regularly checking livestock. Somewhat the same in east texas with some of the oilfield pumpers checking well sites, but the second that truck goes into a new area off the normal routine they are gone. If your going to walk in you have to make sure your entire walk is with the right wind. No excess riding around filling feeders, joy riding etc. If you take a truck or atv to the stand load up feed and fill feeder after morning hunt to cut down on traffic at mid day. If your on a lease and walk in but 3 other hunters ride through area to go to their stands not good. Minimize others hunting your stands or area too because you dont know how noisy that person is when your not their.

Comment

We always:

- Drive with fog lights only from the highway to the parking spot..~3/4mi. And turn down the Zep.
        - park ~400yds away
        - attempt to not use flashlight during the 400yd walk...Have about 80% success on this one. The last 100yds can get easily confusing in pitch dark.
        - try to be in the stand before 6am
        - avoid bringing truck to pen, unless we have to.

Comment

Thanks guys! What about deer that are in and around feeders on your way in very early in the morning (5:30-6am). How do you prevent them from blowing and running off?

Comment

400 acres is a lot, unless its open plains, you should be able to get in and out without being noticed. We hunt on 40 acres next to public land/a neighbor who doesn't hunt, and let's us on her place. We hunt the edges, with the center part of our woods being fairly thick, and a safe place where we stay out of 100% after Aug 1. There is tons of cover and food. Deer go straight there the first time they see someone in camo or orange. Works out awesome for us.

However, deer are different everywhere, so your results may differ. But staying out of a specific area is great.

Comment

Don't think there is a way to avoid busting when walking to stand... sounds like your spot is in or near their bedding area and/or they are up early moving there to be close to feeder/food source when it goes off... when this happens to me i just get in blind set up quickly quiet down and hope they didn't get to spooked... typically they dont go to far in my experience.

Comment

I have a stand that always has deer around it in the mornings. I've quit hunting that stand in the mornings because there is no way to access it without busting deer out. It is one I only go to in the afternoons when deer aren't typically near it. It just isn't worth trying to sneak in and risk jumping a bunch of deer.

Comment

I hunt four different places, that way I don't overhunt any of them. Even at that, I make sure I can get in and out quickly, quietly, and not flood the area with my scent. Sometimes, if the wind doesn't cooperate, I just don't go.

Comment

i always liked to use a small led blue bulb flashlight to walk to my stand. i want something just bright enough to see were i'm going and i try to only use it sparingly

i'd also cut the atv/utv use to a minimum, like only after/during heavy rains that have the roads a mess. i think one of the best things i ever did was take my mt bike to the lease just messing around to ride for exercise during the offseason. i was amazed how many animals i drover right up on.
                    Last edited by CTR0022; 10-02-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                      Thanks guys! What about deer that are in and around feeders on your way in very early in the morning (5:30-6am). How do you prevent them from blowing and running off?
                      I don't have that problem in E Texas because deer don't come running to feeders here. When I hunted Runnels Co. (18 years), I set my feeders for 8:00 am, that way the deer weren't hanging around in the dark waiting for it to go off. Learned that lesson fairly quickly !

Comment

My job has a way helping keep the pressure off the deer. .

Anyway, at my property in Wisconsin I walk everywhere. I am also very cognizant of the wind for my approach and once in the stand. Use a blue/red colored headlamp.

At the Texas lease I try to be in the stand a minimum of 1 hour before the feeder goes off. Since we started feeding protein I usually expect to run off deer when I get to the feeder, that's just the way it is. They usually come back. Park about 2-300 yards away and don't think too much about he wind. 2 of my 3 blinds are positioned well for prevailing winds and my approach. The other blind I really need to re position, but I hardly hunt there.....it's my hog stand.

Comment

We tried several things such as going out at the same time and getting out of the stand at the same time but we ended up making the kids unhappy for sitting to long. The whole reason we were hunting was to get the kids interested in it but we were defeating the purpose. So we decided to make it fun for the kids and we ended up having a better time. We may not have seen as many deer but it was not the main reason we were there for.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

We have 230 ac. We walk to our blinds or ride a bike to the blind that is about 3/4 of a mile from camp. Never go near feeders till we get ready to leave ,unless it doesn't throw. Fill feeders after the last hunt for that trip. We make it a point not to get in the pasture much during hunting season. If we go to town after the AM hunt we corn the main road for the evening hunt. Seems to work pretty good, we normally see plenty of deer & pigs.

Comment

We hunted a small 350 for many years.
                              We left about 75-100 acres of thick brush as a Sanctuary we never entered into except
                              To retrieve a deer. And set up our feeders on the edges.
                              We watched the wind and only hunted certain stands when the wind was acceptable.
                              We fed the area every time we drove by. We didn't shoot pigs, does or yotes when buck hunting.
                              Pens kept the javelinas and pigs from coming to the feeders.
                              And waited till deer were gone before we left the stand in the mornings
                              And only after dark in the evenings. Red light headlights before daylight and after dark.
                              We fed the feeders at night and tried to get in quietly and quickly.
                              lLastly, we only hunted weekends and the stands were quiet for several days between hunts.

And unlike others here I have read, we killed many mature bucks at the feeders.

BP

Comment

Working...
                              X