APR 6.5 Creedmoor Load Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
    Take a look at RL-26. One of my creedmoors loves it. In the other, 42.5 of H4350 does the trick.
    I can’t get 42.5gr of h4350, too hot. Yes RL26 has some horsepower, I got up to 2900 FPS with it and no pressure signs with 140gr boolits. Unfortunately the groups were not impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
      Take a look at RL-26. One of my creedmoors loves it. In the other, 42.5 of H4350 does the trick.

I tried RL26 with the 124’s and groups were subpar. I have some RL16 and varget that I’ll load this weekend and hopefully squeeze in another range trip this week

Comment

This will be my last post about the 6.5 CM that APR built for me. I finally got a good load worked up that should work in other rifles or at least a reference point to start from.

Brass is Lapua brand with small primer pockets and small flash hole, full length sized.

Bullets are 140 grain Sierra SPT Gamekings seated at .008 from lands.

Powder is Hogdon H4350 using 42.0 grains

Primers are CCI BR4

Velocity is 2730 FPS, an Extreme Spread(ES) of 11 and a Standard Deviation(SD) of 5.

I tried several Nosler, Berger and Hornady bullets but kept coming back to the Sierras. Also tried RL17 and RL26 powders but H4350 was better. I can also say that groups shot at a 100 yards really do not do the cartridge justice, it gotta be 200 yards or more to actually see any difference. Today while shooting conditions were good, I got my sight settings up to 375 yards.
        I had 4 loaded rounds left and decided to put a new target and shoot four for score. This is a picture of a 4 shot group at 375 yards. Probably as good as it gets. P.S. I reckon that no Man Bun growed on my head during this project.

Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X