Which bow is more forgiving ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which bow is more forgiving ?

Which bow would be more forgiving and easier to be accurate with and why...

Both bows would have the same overall length but one would have a short riser and longer limbs, the other a longer riser with shorter limbs ?

What 2 bows are you asking about?

Comment

Example would be a takedown
      with a 15" riser or a 19" riser.
      Curious if one would be easier to shoot accurately and be a more forgiving setup ?

Comment

What overall length?

Speaking strictly of a hunting/target combination bow - From my own personal experience combined with what reading I've done (Blacky's Bow reports among many) indicate that the medium length limbs are more stable, and perform better, so in my opinion you would probably like a bow with a 17" riser & medium length limbs that would give you the same OAL as the other two choices.

If speaking of strictly target, I would go long & long.

Rick

Comment

Forgiving might not be the right term. The longer riser is going to be smoother on the draw. But the only bow style I can think of that is actually forgiving of bad form is a forward riser design. Such as the black widow ptf or bob Sarrels blackhills

Comment

Forgiving is the right word...when I'm stooped over trying to get a shot while hunting. It probably isn't the best form, like it would be in my backyard.
            I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems as if the longer riser is less critical of bad form but I like short risers.

Anyone else have an opinion ?

Comment

Not apples to apples but the most forgiving bow I own is my old Damon Howatt Super Diablo. Not sure how to measure things but the riser is probably 22" fade to fade. Surprisingly it is also the fastest shooting of all my trad bows. The next most forgiving is my Sarrels Blackhills II longbow with the forward handle.
              My Martin Mamba is a close 3rd.

Comment

I have a 26" draw and I am 5'8" tall and the sweet bow length is 67" and a 11" handle. I like a longer bow my self long bow or recurve. I get past 68 and the bow seems to loose cast at my draw. Thats my 2 cents. Dont hunt in bow blinds much and if I do they are large box blinds.

Comment

Strictly depends on the two bows. Each bow is unique unto itself and if you have the same length bow with the same woods and same draw weight but different riser length (15" and 19" riser) I would tend to believe the longer riser/shorter limbs would offer a bit less forgiving set-up but one with a bit faster speed. Conversely, the shorter riser/longer limb set-up would (most likely) provide a more forgiving bow but less speed. I am certainly no expert and if my assumptions are incorrect, I apologize. It just seems logical (at least to me) that a shorter working limb will expel energy faster than a longer working limb.

Doug

Comment

Thanks for everyone's views.

Comment

In my opinion the bow with the larger or longer riser is going to be more forgiving due to the increased mass weight. I talked to Rick Welch 2 days ago while taking some lessons and we discussed this very topic. Rick said that more mass weight almost always increases accuracy, he said the hardest bow to shoot is a self bow followed by a one piece longbow, basically the more weight you add to the bow the steadier the bow becomes while aiming.

Comment

Working...
                      X