COBRA Test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COBRA Test?

Has anybody on the GS taken the COBRA test?

If so what are some tips you can give me?
    I’d assume you would just need to keep good material balance, level trends and try not to flare.
    What else are they looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever worked a console?

Comment

COBRA Test?

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
      Have you ever worked a console?

I’m a outside operator for the company I work for but I have went inside and ran my unit a time or two. I’m no expert by any means

Comment

i have taking cobra several times trying to get on with other companies, everyone i have taken has been the same test. very easy and they test it self is 4 15min test. but takes at least 2hr of training that you can not skip before hand.

Hint. Do not Flare or overfill a tank on last test, there will be several things go wrong. be ready.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
          I’m a outside operator for the company I work for but I have went inside and ran my unit a time or two. I’m no expert by any means

We rotate through outside positions and the console. A few of our new hires took the cobra test and passed without any prior board experience. I've never had the opportunity to take it but would like to. If you've ran your unit and spent some time with a watching a good console operator I think you will be fine. Just make sure you understand how everything works.

Comment

I had never ran a console, nor taken the COBRA test before my 1st time and I nailed it. Pay attention to the training before the test that you go through. If you understand how heat and pressure work in distillation and pay attention to the training you will be fine.

They will give you alarms that you have to respond to, you will have peoples family call you to leave a message for the outside guy, you will have maintenance taking equipment out of service with very little warning.

Watch your trends and try to have everything in between your high and low alarms so when something happens you have time to respond. Don't over fill tanks, and try not to flare (most people flare on the last scenario), swap between screens and watch the trends. Another tip is to make moves to the process early so you can see how it reacts to those moves, this will give you an idea on how to respond to upsets.

Hope you do well

Comment

Originally posted by Mofo View Post
              I had never ran a console, nor taken the COBRA test before my 1st time and I nailed it. Pay attention to the training before the test that you go through. If you understand how heat and pressure work in distillation and pay attention to the training you will be fine.

They will give you alarms that you have to respond to, you will have peoples family call you to leave a message for the outside guy, you will have maintenance taking equipment out of service with very little warning.

Watch your trends and try to have everything in between your high and low alarms so when something happens you have time to respond. Don't over fill tanks, and try not to flare (most people flare on the last scenario), swap between screens and watch the trends. Another tip is to make moves to the process early so you can see how it reacts to those moves, this will give you an idea on how to respond to upsets.

Hope you do well

All three of my columns in my unit are distillation.
              Bottoms, sidedraw, Overheads and Reflux. I think I’ll be alright.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                We rotate through outside positions and the console. A few of our new hires took the cobra test and passed without any prior board experience. I've never had the opportunity to take it but would like to. If you've ran your unit and spent some time with a watching a good console operator I think you will be fine. Just make sure you understand how everything works.

Who do you work for? I’m taking this test for Lyondell

Comment

Yes..it's very easy if you have any common sense....I had to take it for a pipeline controller position....

Comment

[QUOTE=TalonErickson7;14494324]Who do you work for?

Valero

Comment

PM me I will text you some hand drawing some sent me a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by mavrick View Post
                        PM me I will text you some hand drawing some sent me a while back.

PM sent

Comment

Working...
                        X