How tall do oats and wheat grow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How tall do oats and wheat grow?

In areas with pretty high deer density, how tall will oats and wheat get in the springtime when mixed in fall plots?

Oats can get almost 4 feet, wheat maybe 3.

Comment

depends entirely on the size of the "plot". if its very big the deer cant keep up with it and it will grow to 36" or so. if its too small, they will eat it to the dirt and if wont grow at all.....

Comment

How much rain/water will they get? Fertilizer? They might get 3-4' tall, and they might be dead by spring. Just depends.

Comment

It’ll be about 2.5 acres in central Texas. No irrigation. Properly fertilized. Lots of deer, not many other food plots around.

Comment

There's still no way to know for sure. You never know how much rain you'll get. Hopefully you'll get enough to allow the crop to grow faster than the deer are eating it. That's farming.....

Comment

When things green up and deer stop living there,
              2-3' and will head out in my hog proof plot.

Comment

Based on what you're describing you'll be lucky to see 4" during the hunting season. I typically plant 8 acres in a relatively low density area and it looks like a putting green all season. They'll stop eating it in the spring and it'll grow taller and die out. You can always fence out a small 2x2 area and see what it'd do without animals grazing it down.

Comment

I've never had any oats (several varieties) get taller than 2 1/2 feet in the spring. If you are wanting a tall growing cereal grain look no further than elbon rye. The top of my tractor cowling is 4 feet tall.

Comment

Actually I’d rather not have it grow super tall. So wheat would probably be shorter than oats?

Comment

I have had to shred oats in Dec in really wet years when it grows to fast/tall and deer are not able to keep up with it. The deer like the new growth after shredding it.

Comment

Working...
                      X