What a weekend! (long read)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a weekend! (long read)

The boys were doing their thing this weekend in my parts. All young bucks were cruising, all older deer had a doe they were locked on. Saw many deer and had an incredible weekend. I was set up for a north wind and had that every hunt besides this morning.. I decided against my better judgement to hunt it anyways. My scent was blowing straight to where I expected the deer. Right as daylight broke on this frosty morning I could hear a deer at a good pace headed straight for my wind. It was a doe, I was just about to draw as she caught my wind and spun 90 degrees and headed out. What was odd is she didn't blow, just left quick. I knew I had screwed up at this point, so I was calling myself every word in the book. Right about the moment the point I got over my rant, probably 2 minutes after the doe. I could hear foot steps coming again. AND again headed straight for my wind. This time I saw a big body and knew it was a buck, when it came into clear view at 20 yards exactly where the doe was, I could tell he was legal. I about lost it as he began to zig zag to find where his lady had went. Mind you, he was directly down wind where the doe just caught my wind. Once I drew back, he gave me a 15 yard broadside shot. I was about 32 ft up in my climber, so the angle was pretty extreme. I decided to am a hair higher than normal. As I squeezed I sent the arrow right where my pin was, high. The angle wasn't quite what I was expecting and I spined him, clipping the top of the opposite lung. He dropped but immediately gathered his front feet and began draging himself directly away, so I sent another, this time just left of his spine and straight through the heart. From first shot to second he was probably dead in no more than 15 seconds. Not ideal but I got the job done and made for a short track job. Once he quit breathing I put the binos on him and realized his main beam was gone, leaving me with AR in question. I decided I was going to hunt more of the morning since is was just after daylight. I made it about 5 minutes. I slammed down the tree and put my hands on him. He ended up being 15 inches with the main beam broke flush with the g2. I was so pumped to have finally killed a fully mature buck on public land. This season had been rough so far. Every sit it seemed like a lost cause due to the heat and dang mosquitos. The hike in and out was close to 1 mile so it made for some work after getting him tagged. Anyways, here he is, all 5 points of him! By far the biggest bodied deer I have killed. Had to be close to, or over 200 lbs. He was a toad. The pictures don't show his body size. Second picture is the man that introduced me to the sport and that I owe all my thanks to. Best dad anyone could ask for!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BW96; 10-29-2017, 08:07 PM.

Congratulations Blake!! What a trophy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job on a great buck! Public to boot, true accomplishment.

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Stud

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on a big buck.

Comment

Congrats....

Comment

Congrats! Nothing better than getting in done on public, especially with a bow.

Comment

Thanks fellas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats again man. Such an accomplishment to get it done on public land!

Comment

Congrats! Nothing like taking your first buck on public land! I too shot a 5 point as my first public land buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X