Predator Bird Population ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predator Bird Population ?

Is it just me or are other people seeing a large increase in hawks, owls, Mexican eagles and other predatory birds in Texas? If so, why do you think the populations have increased lately?

There are deer in parts of the state that had no deer 40 years ago. I see those green jays all over south Texas and I never remember seeing them as a kid that spent hours and hours everyday with a bb gun. Point being, I would have noticed them. Just seems like wildlife populations are really growing. This may be the golden age of hunting in Texas.

Originally posted by Jake View Post
    Is it just me or are other people seeing a large increase in hawks, owls, Mexican eagles and other predatory birds in Texas? If so, why do you think the populations have increased lately?

There are deer in parts of the state that had no deer 40 years ago. I see those green jays all over south Texas and I never remember seeing them as a kid that spent hours and hours everyday with a bb gun. Point being, I would have noticed them. Just seems like wildlife populations are really growing. This may be the golden age of hunting in Texas.
    Conservation and development. Some is good, some is bad. That's all I'm saying on this thread

Comment

Some hawks are migratory. That could.explain some of it. I

Comment

Speaking of birds of prey. I shot a doe Sunday morning and let her lay in the road waiting for another to come out. Big hawk flew down and walked around her a couple of times then went and ate her eyeball, all of it. Dangest thing Ive seen in awhile.

As for seeing more now that you mention it I agree.

Comment

Seems like we have a lot more hawks in the winter time where i live. We definitely have a lot more eagles in fall/winter. They follow the geese & ducks.

There was a pretty good wad of geese around where i was hunting last week, and at one point I watched 9 eagles sitting on the same field.

Comment

It's just this time of year.

Comment

5-6 Years of drought meant no cover for rodents, which in turn meant no food for raptors. Follow that up with 3-4 good wet springs....cover for the rodents, food for the raptors to raise bigger hatches. Mother nature correcting the balance.

Comment

more owls the past two years than I`ve seen in 20 , realy wrecking my chickin pouplation

Comment

Originally posted by breadman View Post
                  more owls the past two years than I`ve seen in 20 , realy wrecking my chickin pouplation
                  Yep. Between owls and coons I can barely keep my chickens alive. At least I can shoot coons.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post

Its Winter, lots of Birds of Prey coming South

Comment

Heck I’m seeing more coyotes now than ever before

Comment

Originally posted by popup_menace View Post
                        Heck I’m seeing more coyotes now than ever before

More cover, more rodents and rabbits to eat, bigger litters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X