No announcement yet.

.44 rem mag or .45 long colt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I was looking at a Henry Big Boy carbine in .44 but I almost laid the cash down this weekend on a marlin 1895gbl 45/70 I figured this would be the place to pick peoples brains I figured the big boy and marlin both weigh around 7 pounds and I figured the 45/70 would kick much harder I was mainly just looking for a gun with no optic that can take a little abuse and have major stopping power if I need it and also something that will punch through brush just mainly something that will put the brakes on anything in a big way if you pick up what I’m putting down

Comment

Originally posted by Cjconner View Post
      Well I was looking at a Henry Big Boy carbine in .44 but I almost laid the cash down this weekend on a marlin 1895gbl 45/70 I figured this would be the place to pick peoples brains I figured the big boy and marlin both weigh around 7 pounds and I figured the 45/70 would kick much harder I was mainly just looking for a gun with no optic that can take a little abuse and have major stopping power if I need it and also something that will punch through brush just mainly something that will put the brakes on anything in a big way if you pick up what I’m putting down
      A little punctuation goes a long way.

As has been said before, if you reload, it’s a wash. If you don’t reload, .44 all day, everyday.

Comment

The Henry Big Boy (steel) 44 Carbine with skinner sights has become a favorite of mine and I use standard 240gr JSP and it just plain works.

The reloading being a “wash” thing is subjective. You have to clock the 180gr 44 Remingtons sometime. It really depends on what you want out of it. For a GP loafing rifle, I don’t wanna put to much thought into my ammo selection or “workup” a load, I just want it to work and have ammo readily availible. This is where the 30-30 and 44 JSP excel.

I’ll not try to sell you on the 30-30 again because it sounds like you really want a Big Bore.
        Last edited by Johnny44; 12-19-2017, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I have read that the Marlins that have micro groove rifling don't like cast boolits. I cast and reload, so that would be a no go for me. I would like a 45.70 though. Most guys say that its hard to find a load your pistol and rifle both like. If you reload, there isn't much difference between .44 and .45. .44 mag loaded ammo is more readily available. More info than you asked for, nothing wrong with info before a gun purchase.

I cannot afford to shoot the center fires without reloading.

Comment

The 44 is a better choice due to ammo on the store shelves.

The 45 LC is a great round, although most if not all of the 45LC ammo will be low velocity due to all the old six guns that use to use black powder and also due to the Cowboy action crowd!

I personally like the 45LC and have found reloading data that sure makes it a fine weapon out to 100 yards. If you hit it with the 250 gr slug, they usually go down in a hurry!

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
              A little punctuation goes a long way.

As has been said before, if you reload, it’s a wash. If you don’t reload, .44 all day, everyday.
              First off I apologize for my terrible punctuation. I just get in a rush and jumble it all together in a hurry. Hopefully this helps! Now I do own the hornady lock-n-load reloading kit, but I just never followed through with using it. Was hoping to learn but just haven’t sat down and tried to learn yet. So with that being said I see myself more than likely looking for off the shelf ammo.

Comment

I was in the same boat one time and just bought a 450 marlin. LOL Now I never shoot it and wish I had got a 30-30 so my boys could hunt with it. Between the 2 choices I'd go with the 44 every time. 45LC is a great round, but like stated above if you don't reload you will wish you had went with something else just based on ammo availability and price. The cheap stuff in 45LC is $40 a box.

Comment

The Marlin bore needs to be slugged if you are having problems with cast, it will shoot them fine when you get it squared away. I love Marlins just not the 94.

Everybody needs a 450 Marlin. Don’t dispair, Winchester just released it in the 94 platform. It should be easy on the shoulder and dental work.

Comment

Wait, CJConner...

You got it made brother!

You live right by the levergun masters, you think it up, and they will hook you up.

Ranger Point Precision (RPP) in Houston, TX is a leading innovator and producer of lever-action and motorcycle parts for Marlin, Henry, Winchester, Steyr firearms; Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha mortorcycles.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
                      44 mag the ammo is much easier to find.
                      Bingo

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
                        45/70 really doesn't thump that hard..
                        This. I weight 135 soaking wet and I shoot Sharps trapdoor safe store bought 405g 45-70 bullets through my Marlin Guide Gun. The recoil is a manageable push, not a harsh painful smack.

I shoot 44 mag single action pistols for fun, but a 44 mag out a carbine would have me guessing about "is it enough to drop that big hog and will it make the distance past 100 yards?.

With 45-70 there are no questions. Take the shot. If it does not go right, it is not the fault of the gun or the bullet.

Comment

I have wanted a some lever guns in 357 mag, 44 mag and 454 Casull for years.

Comment

Originally posted by banzai View Post
                            This. I weight 135 soaking wet and I shoot Sharps trapdoor safe store bought 405g 45-70 bullets through my Marlin Guide Gun. The recoil is a manageable push, not a harsh painful smack.

I shoot 44 mag single action pistols for fun, but a 44 mag out a carbine would have me guessing about "is it enough to drop that big hog and will it make the distance past 100 yards?.

With 45-70 there are no questions. Take the shot. If it does not go right, it is not the fault of the gun or the bullet.
                            They all drop like a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                              They all drop like a rock.
                              True, they have the ballistics of a cast iron skillet, but if you can lob a 45-70 on to a target up to 200 yards away, the target will die and you will not have to do much tracking. I would not try it with a .44 mag more than 50 yards.

It's a great Sunday morning hunt gun for hogs and deer if you have to head home from the lease to work on Monday.

Comment

Just picked up a Marlin 1895 45-70 Cowboy model from Carters Country and IMO it kicks less than my 30.06. I am shooting the 405 grain Remington Corelok through it. I had a lot of fun with it my first time out. The ammo is pricy at $53 a box but with this much fun it doesn't matter.

Good luck with whatever you go with!

Comment

Working...
                                X