Flies For Port A/Mansfield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flies For Port A/Mansfield?

Can someone give me their thoughts on best flies for that location? I’m tying some I think will work but would appreciate any thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spoon flies, shrimp, and crab immitations work best. Always had good luck on Dupre spoon flies.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
      Spoon flies, shrimp, and crab immitations work best. Always had good luck on Dupre spoon flies.

Ya, I’ve heard that from a few ppl.. I’ll grab some up. Not something I’d have ever thought to throw till a few days ago when the first person told me that. Thanks for the info..

Here is where I sit now..

Comment

Spoon flies and rubber glass minnow imitations.

Comment

Beadchain and leadeye clousers in white, white chartreuse, white pink, etc are always handy. I like a small Puglosi type fly if chasing trout or snook. The absolute best and most deadly redfish fly is a small, white or light colored crab. Kind of like what you have tied but a little smaller and shorter and sparser coming off the front. Add a little monofilament weed guard and it’s food to go. The key to the crab is to fish it right. Throw it just in front of a red or close to a tailing fish. Let him get close then a couple of short strips. Think about how a crab would move. It’s deadly!

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
            Beadchain and leadeye clousers in white, white chartreuse, white pink, etc are always handy. I like a small Puglosi type fly if chasing trout or snook. The absolute best and most deadly redfish fly is a small, white or light colored crab. Kind of like what you have tied but a little smaller and shorter and sparser coming off the front. Add a little monofilament weed guard and it’s food to go. The key to the crab is to fish it right. Throw it just in front of a red or close to a tailing fish. Let him get close then a couple of short strips. Think about how a crab would move. It’s deadly!

Have a picture of one by any chance?

Comment

Here is a south padre crab fish from a couple days ago.

A couple more victims of the crab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t have a crab pic but the guide I fish with the most ties them. I have caught them on store bought bonefish and permit crabs but they are typically too heavy or don’t have enough weight.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post

Here is a south padre crab fish from a couple days ago.

A couple more victims of the crab!

You have a pic of the crab you used?

Comment

Leftridge---that has got to be a hoot tying into a red on a fly rod. I've caught some mid-sized bass and that was great, but can't compare to the reds I'm betting.

Here's a pic of my favorite tank-fishing fly---and I'm working with a tyer to get some more tied up as I'm down to my last one and can't find any more.

Last edited by dustoffer; 06-29-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Like Doc said above, you need clousers.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                        Like Doc said above, you need clousers.

[emoji106] Got those in spades

Comment

i want some red crab flies!

Comment

Working...
                          X