ACE Hardware vs Amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACE Hardware vs Amazon

I like going to ACE. It’s always more expensive but they have fertilizers the morons at Lowe’s and Home Depot have never even heard of. Speaking of morons, ACE doesn’t have those. What it does have is fudge and homemade pickles. And a post office. And free popcorn. And high school kids working like workers that have pride in their community and not in the number of likes they have of Facebook. And even though I don’t have a horse, every single ACE has an equestrian section, even in downtown Houston you can buy crap for your horse and mail a letter all in the same store. And when you don’t know what the hell you need, they will find someone who’s working that can actually help you, not just with what to buy, but with things to consider about the project you have.

And that helpfulness is what landed me a set of $35 Irwin cobalt drill bits last night. Supposedly they are the best for drilling holes in plate steel. I wasn’t planning to spend that much, but I am long past the age where cheaping out on tools is of any interest, and with the old TBH adage of buy once, cry once, I choked down the hefty price tag and brought em home.

Admittedly, I am still a cheap *** at heart, so I couldn’t take it any longer and did a search for the same drill bits online. HD and Lowe’s carry Milwaukee and Dewalt cobalt bits for $30-31. Ok cool I can live with the extra $5 I paid especially since the Irwin bits get much better reviews and have 5x the reviews as well. Ok so what’s Amazon got em for? $22?!?! Awww crap, an extra $5 I can live with, but $13? That’s 60% more!

I’m keeping the ones I bought at ACE because even though my cheap *** consumerist attitude is that I should keep my $13 and return the ones I bought at ACE to order them from Amazon. However, I think if Amazon takes down ACE then another piece of America will be gone.

So would you eat the $13 to convince yourself America needs ACE or would you order from Amazon because America is capitalism and to heck with those that can’t compete? Me, I like fudge and free popcorn.

Id say keep them and help support the local hardware store. You will need them (ACE)again soon and will be glad they are still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
      Id say keep them and help support the local hardware store. You will need them (ACE)again soon and will be glad they are still there.
      This

Comment

I love me some ACE. I typically go in, and once I find what I went for, just roam around the isles for a while. Pretty much always find something else that I needed.

Comment

Support your local hardware store. I hate going in home depot.

Comment

They do have great popcorn

Comment

Next time you go to Ace, just eat $13 dollars worth of free popcorn and call it even.

Comment

Ace is what all retail stores used to be. You walk in and people that know the product gladly help you. This is the exception for retail stores in this day and age, and thus, I will gladly pay more to do my part in keeping them around.

Comment

I typically go to my ACE. As a rewards member, my coupons usually offset the extra cost anyways. I'm pretty sure my ACE does NOT have an equestrian section though

Comment

And before you ask, I lost an avatar bet

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                      And before you ask, I lost an avatar bet
                      the horror!

Comment

The Ace in Wimberley is top notch. They were the first to step up an help the community during the Memorial Day Flood of 2015 and the last to stop helping. I will support Ace over Amazon all day long.

Comment

I always go with Ace

Comment

our ace in Hearne is great. I bought a good bit of stain for a fence. The first 5 gal bucket was damages and they me a good discount and then brought several more 5 gal buckets
                            and they gave me the same discount on all of them. All of the sell personal are very friendly
                            Last edited by clay4626; 09-25-2018, 10:36 AM. Reason: add something

Comment

Ditto to both of the above posts. Plus you can find the salesman who sold you that thingamajig for your dryer a few years ago or the best treatment for brownpatch. They’ll both be on the same shelf from a few years back and on the aisle you have to turn sideways and shuffle sideways down to get them. The teenager who comes out to deliver it can come come by after work or on the weekend to help with this or that around the place for a few bucks.
                              You can buy raffle tickets or signup for a Boston Butt or buy a raffle ticket to help out the 4H or FFA at table set up outside or just inside the door. And this is the spot to always find GirlScout cookies in Feb.
                              Lots to be said for local businesses and supporting them.

Comment

Working...
                              X