Favorite climbing stand for bowhunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite climbing stand for bowhunting

What’s your favorite climber? Looking to buy one to get to uncharted territory where the wild things are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summit viper has been my go to for years and I’ve hiked it an unreal number of miles. Few mods and upgrades but it’s hard to beat for my needs.

I have a summit open shot too and it’s a pound or so lighter which is nice ... but no as comfy for all day sits and I can lay bow on rail vs hanger with my viper

Aluminum is a must whatever you choose

Comment

I’ll second the summit viper^^^

I too have had one for years and it’s been great. Sturdy and comfortable and not bad to throw on your back and go up or down a ridge.

Comment

Summit for sure quiet and comfortable! You won't be disappointed.

Comment

Lone Wolf and Summit. Hands down the best there is. Nothing digs in like a Lone Wolf. Summit aluminum for comfort.

Comment

Summit Broadhead Backpacker. 17lbs, folds flat and open front. Have not used it in years because my knees are shot. It is like the Summit Viper, but with no rail around front.

Comment

Summit Viper. Close thread.

Comment

Wait... reopen. Go with aluminum and in defense of all lighter models, I use mine on my place stationary (do not pack them in each hunt). I give the nod to Summit Viper for ease of climbing and comfort. I can’t vouch for packing one in 5 miles.

Comment

Summit 180 Max. My only complaint is how hard it is to stay awake in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                    Lone Wolf and Summit. Hands down the best there is. Nothing digs in like a Lone Wolf. Summit aluminum for comfort.

Any tips for climbing? New to climbing stands, always used hang ons or ladder stands!!

Comment

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
                      Any tips for climbing? New to climbing stands, always used hang ons or ladder stands!!

Start bottom angled up more than you think at bottom. If I’m planning on 25’ I usually start at an angle that I can barely start with. After 2 “pumps” your good to go

Tie a tether to top and bottom ( summit makes a kit that has a scrunchy tether and backpack straps) it’s a must for all climbers! *upgrade

With viper or rail models- sit down... stand up .. repeat. That’s it. It goes up the tree

Wear harness

Comment

Summit Openshot, aftermarket harness, HSS LifeLine, review instructions/DVD, a few screw-in hangers and enjoy.

Comment

API Grand Slam, been good to me the past few years

Comment

I much prefer sit and climb climbers. Much easier on the knees. Some models allow the bar you sit on to be flipped down and out of the way for bowhunting. Remember trees get smaller as you climb. So, start out fairly snug. A good harness, safety strap/life line, fold out saw, pruning shears, pull up rope, and screw in eqpt holders are good to have in your bag. Leave bag on ground, tie pull up rope to stand, and pull up after you are set. Practice in the dark because most of the time you will be going up or down in the dark. And, try to stay on the correct side of the tree. If the tree leans setup on the high side. A light on your cap is also good to have. I make my own pull up ropes and make them 25’ long. When I am climbing and feel the rope get tight I know that is 25’ and as far as I want to go. I hunt between 17’ and 25’ depending on tree and cover. Always keep the top and bottom part of stand tied together in case the bottom comes off of tree while climbing or sitting. You will need to be able to reach it with your feet.

Comment

I have been happy with my Equalizer.

Comment

Working...
                              X