Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve run my truck to 0 miles twice stretching for a gas station

Comment

Mine is very accurate in my 08 f250. I had it a 5 miles once and I put 38 gallons in it which is the tank size. It did die on me once when I was literally putting it into park at the pump and it said 15 to empty. I typically fill up when it reads 50.

Comment

A few winters ago my wife was pregnant and talking on her phone not paying attention to the fuel gauge. She called me when she was between Huntsville and Madisonville (0 gas stations between the two towns) telling me that the dte showed 0. I had her pull over at the next exit and wait for me.

It was 20 degrees that day so I told her to keep the truck running as long as she could. I finally got there and fought with trying to get gas in the tank and was only able to pour gas all over myself. Turns out there's a special funnel under the backseat you have to use.

Well I decided to try and make it to town on the empty tank....and I didn't make it. Truck died on me about 150 yards from the gas station.

Comment

My wife doesn't feel alive if her DTE gauge isn't in the single digits. She asked me to get her car detailed, I get in and the gauge says 1 mile to empty, I call her and question her tactics. She said the gauge doesn't mean anything and I have plenty to get to the car wash and back.

I had some work done on my 2005 F250. For some reason after that she was bone dry when the gauge read 1/8 of a tank. Unfortunately it took sitting on the side of the freeway to learn that. My new truck has been gotten down to 40 miles from empty but I'm not trying to push it for fun.

Comment

When my truck hits 1/2 tank I start thinking I need gas. Once I hit 1/4 I am getting antsy lol. I never let it go below 1/4 tank unless absolutely necessary such as a road trip and having difficulty finding an open station.

Comment

Not good to run them that low, hard on the pump.

Comment

Nope. I usually start looking to fill up when I hit 1/4 tank. In the truck I have now, I had worked a ton one week and wore myself out. Was on the way home and needed gas. I forgot to get gas on the way home and the light came on as I was pulling into my driveway. I live about 4 miles from the gas station. The next morning, I ran out of gas about 1/2 way to the gas station. I wasn't very happy.

Comment

Back when on was 18-19 I drove from my home to work, work to home, and home to work with my light on. It was 38 miles one way. My truck didn't say miles to empty. Only reason i done that was I was out of money until payday. Funny thing is I probably got $20 in gas and the rest of my check on beer.

Sent from my XT1687 using Tapatalk

Comment

I try to never go below 1/4 tank; having said that I've occasionally got to E and can put 22 gallons in my truck. I was in a bind once (long ways from the gas station) and by the time I filled up I put in 24.5 gallons.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      I once dated a girl who got fuel when the gauge hit 3/4. I asked her why. She explained that the gauge dropped slowly until it went below 3/4. Then it dropped really fast. So she got better milage by keeping her tank 3/4 or above.

She was really hot and had some amazing talents. But eventually I couldn't take it anymore.
                      I'm not hot, nor do I have amazing talents, but my 04 Duramax was this way to a T.

If you filled up at 3/4 of a tank you'd actually put a half of a tank worth of fuel in it. When you hit a 1/2 tank per the gauge, you'd put almost 18-20 gallons in the tank(26 gallon tank). And yes, the gauge dropped almost twice as fast from 3/4 to E than it did from full to 3/4.

Comment

My wife thinks it’s as accurate as the Bible

Few years ago I headed west to meet bboswell. DING 50 miles till empty.... “ I’ll fill up at next exit”. 38 miles to E.... dead
                        About a week later same thing but I coasted home and cranked it

Like to give a shout out to “Ed” in Clyde Texas for getting me up and going again

Comment

Mine is spot on accurate --- when it says 0 it means 0.....I know from experience.

Famous last words to my buddy was "meh, they always sandbag.....it got at least 10 more miles left in it...." then it rolled to '0', sputtered and died.

Comment

My truck has 2 tanks and when I switch I fill up that night. Always have a full tank!

Comment

Not a great game to play in a diesel either.

Comment

Every week I get down to 2-5 miles. I fill up 3 times a week.

Comment

Working...
                                X