No announcement yet.

New to bow hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats for getting into a extremely passionate sport. You will enjoy it because you can do it often and usually in your yard/driveway.
    About a dozen arrows a day should get your muscle memory where you need it to be.

Comment

One more thing, DO NOT put arrows with broadheads installed inside your bow case. Something about RAZOR SHARP and strings don't mix well...

Comment

Here is advice I wished I learned sooner; don't assume if you are shooting not so great that you need new or better equipment. 9 times out of 10 it's you, not the bow (or sight, or rest, or whatever).

Good luck and have fun. Fill your location in and I am sure someone close to you can offer some shooting advice.

Comment

Fill out your profile so we know where you are located.

Find a good coach, plenty have offered. A coach will be able to tell you if the draw length is right and make small corrections in the bow and your form. There is nothing worse than finding out two years in that you have been shooting a draw length that is an inch too long.

Most pro shops have either a person who can help you on staff or know of a coach who can help you. For $40-$50 an hour it will be the best $100 you can spend as a new archer.

Lots of practice, as others have stated. I have my students try to shoot a minimum of 30 arrows a day; that's about 11,000 arrows a year. Six arrows, five ends is pretty easy to do for a beginner, but it is the repetition that builds muscle memory and repeatability.

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post

Find a good coach, plenty have offered. A coach will be able to tell you if the draw length is right and make small corrections in the bow and your form. There is nothing worse than finding out two years in that you have been shooting a draw length that is an inch too long.

Most pro shops have either a person who can help you on staff or know of a coach who can help you. For $40-$50 an hour it will be the best $100 you can spend as a new archer.

Lots of practice, as others have stated. I have my students try to shoot a minimum of 30 arrows a day; that's about 11,000 arrows a year. Six arrows, five ends is pretty easy to do for a beginner, but it is the repetition that builds muscle memory and repeatability.

Have fun!
            Took the words right out of my head.

Comment

Welcome to the fire! I started when I was 30. Cannot imagine my life without bow hunting. Reading all this advice makes me want to go shoot!

I would say shoot your bow regularly. Find a safe place to shoot. If you live in a subdivision don't shoot in your back yard. As tempting as it might be bad things can happen. I have a target set up in my 3 car garage, we can take an 8 yard shot. At least if my son or I don't have time to go to the archery range we we can stretch our bow muscles.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post

Have fun!
                Yes you need to go to a pro shop and make sure the bow is set up for you.

Comment

Welcome to the fire and the most addictive sport ever invented. Lots of great advice here. Break down and buy yourself a bow case if you haven't already, it will save a lot of wear and tear on your bow. Buy a tackle box for all your accessories. Wax your string periodically when it starts to show wear. Once you feel good about your shooting try to hunt hogs with your bow. That's the absolute best hunting practice you could do.

And do not ever hesitate to ask questions here. Lots of good archers that will help you become proficient. The only bad question is the one you don't ask.

Finally, get ready to experience the incredible rush that comes with drawing back and shooting your first hog, deer, turkey. It is very addictive.

Comment

Working...
                  X