Missing my hog shots!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing my hog shots!!

The other morning, I got up for work and as I opened the door from the garage I saw 4 hogs 20 ft from my house. I ran in and got my 30-30 and they were gone before I could get back. This started my need to eliminate the hogs in the area.

Anyway, I went out back that night and saw a hog on the feeder. Shot it, I think, and it ran off all goofy (like the goofy kid in PE). It ran past the fence in the trees. This the 2nd of 6 hogs with this gun I have "missed." SUPER FRUSTRATING!

It was light enough out I could see a shooting target, about the same distance as the hog, and I nailed it twice.

Is it possible that I can shoot one and it not bleed due to the thick hide closing back up. At least, not bleed immediately. BTW these shots are 50 yds at the most.

Yea hogs do seem not to bleed very good some times. But at that range and your weapon of choice that doesn’t sound like the issue. Should be some blood somewhere if you shot at six of them less than fifty yards. Maybe aim alittle tighter and lower on the shoulder? And definantly practice some
    More.

Comment

what bullets are you using? how big are the hogs?

Comment

Why look for blood when you shoot em in back of their ear lobe, they drop on the spot. 30 30 is plenty of gun to anchor any pig. Not sure of your bullets but I’d think anything outta that gun anchors a pig.

As was suggested. Always good to practice with what you’re using, gun, bullets, distance and lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hogs are frustrating to hunt. They are tough and shot placement is critical as is bullet choice

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I shot one with my 5.56 @ 30 yds. It was a quartering away shot. I got him behind the ribs on the right side. He ran 75 yards. No blood trail.
            Luckily it was open pasture with short grass and I saw him laying there. I cut him open to see what the bullet did. I was shooting VMax. I shot him through the heart.
            Last edited by Pushbutton2; 08-05-2018, 04:56 AM.

Comment

I'm not familiar with a 30/30 but I think its definitely possible they wouldn't bleed. I made a perfect shot in the lung heart area on hog last week with a .270 and it dropped but didn't bleed at all, I had a hard time finding the entrance hole.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Comment

22lr in the ear hole drops them where they stand every time.

Comment

I am using Hornady Leverevolution. I am a crack shot with this gun have had it for 5 yrs or so. I actually bought it off a guy on this site..marlin 336 jm stamped. I shoot standing usually, it is the “farm gun”. I do think I shot just behind the lungs. Just frustrating, I usually don’t miss.

Comment

I aim behind the ear..whenever possible....

Comment

Originally posted by keg View Post
                      i aim behind the ear..unless i don't want to clean it and let them run off and die elsewhere....
                      fify! :d

Comment

With broadhead hole is sometimes sealed off with Fat..Happens with bullet too sometimes

Comment

A hog’s vitals are surprisingly low and tight to the shoulder. It’s easy to hit them behind or above the vitals if you shoot them like a deer. With a 30-30, put it smack in the middle of the shoulder and above the elbow. Watch it drop.

In/behind the ear hole works too.
                          Last edited by 30-30; 08-06-2018, 08:17 AM.

Comment

That's a HEART shot Pushbutton2 (:->)

Comment

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
                              That's a HEART shot Pushbutton2 (:->)

It was pure luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X