No announcement yet.

Stocking a High Fenced Pasture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ranch is located in Southern Coleman county near Gouldbusk.

Comment

I had a lease in Coleman next to a high fence and had a couple of doe with ear tags we let walk every time we saw them saw a couple of decent bucks jump that high fence too, but we had good genes maybe from high fence maybe not.
      Are you just not trusting your neighbors hunting habits?

Comment

[QUOTE=JANKEII;13408643]I have 300 acres HF in Coryell co. I have native deer with exotics. I would get a biologist out there and see how many animals your property can hold. Mine can hold around 100. One problem to think about are pigs.

One animals to 3 acres sounds like a bunch!

Why do you have a pig problem with high fence ?

Comment

Good idea,
          I will have some bred yearlings in Feb($1,750 each). Also a few 4 yr old bucks for sale (these Will be your breeders).
          You can check my albums on here to see my breeders.
          Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
            I think your neighbor is blowing smoke...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            or selling a bunch of bongos.....

Comment

Trapped 3 pigs from cameras. Now multiplying like crazy. I think it's something like every 3mo they multiply.
              [quote=Big pig;13409337]
              Originally posted by JANKEII View Post
              I have 300 acres HF in Coryell co. I have native deer with exotics. I would get a biologist out there and see how many animals your property can hold. Mine can hold around 100. One problem to think about are pigs.

One animals to 3 acres sounds like a bunch!

Why do you have a pig problem with high fence ?

Comment

He has some excellent animals
                Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                or selling a bunch of bongos.....

Comment

Originally posted by JANKEII View Post
                  I have 300 acres HF in Coryell co. I have native deer with exotics. I would get a biologist out there and see how many animals your property can hold. Mine can hold around 100. One problem to think about are pigs.
                  If you ever need to get rid of animals, one option is to sell some hunts. My neighbor has 300 HF ranch. He said he sold $700k worth of animals. Although his feed bill was $200k a year. Big business in selling hunts...
                  If he actually sold $700k worth of "hunts" off of 300 acres, he wouldn't have been able to get the hunters trucks in there for all the trailers in the way unloading animals. I don't see how it would be possible to move that many animals on that acreage. Or as mentioned, he shot an entire herd(s) of Bongos, Sable and Sitatunga....

Comment

I know of an individual that has less than 150 acres that runs 150 plus WT on it and has for years. They produce big deer year in year out. There feed bill is high. I am not promoting or advocating you should do this but it can and is being done.

Comment

If they shoot 10 $30k whitetail plus exotics all year I can see how they got there.
                      Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                      If he actually sold $700k worth of "hunts" off of 300 acres, he wouldn't have been able to get the hunters trucks in there for all the trailers in the way unloading animals. I don't see how it would be possible to move that many animals on that acreage. Or as mentioned, he shot an entire herd(s) of Bongos, Sable and Sitatunga....

Comment

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve always read, been told by biologists, etc. that 1 deer per 11 acres was a healthy deer population to acre ratio to shoot for when managing for trophy whitetail. So for 285 acres, that’s about 26 deer total. How are y’all estimating a holding capacity of 40+ deer on a piece of property that size?

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
                          Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve always read, been told by biologists, etc. that 1 deer per 11 acres was a healthy deer population to acre ratio to shoot for when managing for trophy whitetail. So for 285 acres, that’s about 26 deer total. How are y’all estimating a holding capacity of 40+ deer on a piece of property that size?

Lots and lots of supplemental feed

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            Lots and lots of supplemental feed
                            Like livestock?

Comment

There are many places around that have deer herds way over the lands natural carrying capacity. Day hunting leases are a good example. They must be fed protein, minerals, etc.. I've been on a few ranches that most all the natural browse was gone, and animals were almost completely dependent on the land owner feeding them. That is not what the OP is trying to do. I was just saying high fenced places can hold more deer if they have access to more food besides the natural vegetation.

Comment

My reason for considering the high fence, is because due to hunting pressure around me, it's difficult to get the bucks past 2 1/2 yrs old. Just looking to be able to do my thing with less influence from others.

Comment

Working...
                                X