Kickapoo Caverns SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickapoo Caverns SP

One of my favorite places - but it's changed a LOT since they opened the campground. Before, you would call ahead and the ranger had to open the gate and accompany you on the tours - even to the Smith Cave entrance to watch the bats.

Now, the campgrounds are open (and very nice mind you) but the bat viewing is COMPLETELY different since no ranger is there, and there a lot of people hanging around, talking, kids crying, etc. Makes it tough to really enjoy the experience, but I have to admit, it's still an incredible experience. A column of bats coming out of a hole in the ground for literally an hour or more.

The facilities at the park are small and tidy, just how I like them. They have a nice little trail at the headquarters, plus several miles of hiking/mountain biking /birding trails.

We just stayed a night, but I'll be going back. Probably in the winter when there are fewer folks there. I hope I (and others) can convince them to put in a couple backpack camping sites a few miles in on the trails. That would be beyond sweet.

IMG_5896 by johnmagera, on Flickr

IMG_5941 by johnmagera, on Flickr

IMG_5914 by johnmagera, on Flickr

IMG_5901 by johnmagera, on Flickr

IMG_5956 by johnmagera, on Flickr

IMG_5987 by johnmagera, on Flickr

Beautiful pics. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

I got too see it back in the day, truly amazing going inside kickapoo and watching the bats come out.

We camped at the HQ that night with a front coming in. I setup behind a big live oak while my buddies laughed, I got the last laugh all snug and warm @ 2 am when the wind flattened their tents and the temp dropped in the 20's

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
          I got too see it back in the day, truly amazing going inside kickapoo and watching the bats come out.

We camped at the HQ that night with a front coming in. I setup behind a big live oak while my buddies laughed, I got the last laugh all snug and warm @ 2 am when the wind flattened their tents and the temp dropped in the 20's

It truly was a special place before it was opened for camping. Still is, but not to the same degree unfortunately. I'm not one for developed campsites at all. Kids crying, pots and pans rattling too late into the night (esp. when boy scouts are camping), dogs barking, etc. But if a park has backpack camping, I'm all in. I hope they will consider clearing a few wide spots on their hiking/biking trail for some backcountry camping soon. If they do, that park would definitely go on my short list of places to camp. I love that area.

Comment

And those photos don't do the bat emergence justice. It's hard to describe, and even harder to photograph. I've been to Congress St. bridge in Austin to see the bats, and that display pales in comparison to this one. It's not even close. This is one of the best bat emergence display's you'll ever see.

Comment

Definitely one of the largest group of bats I ever seen, it's a pretty state park too boot. Would of loved too seen kickapoo back when it was first found.

Comment

Great photos.

Comment

I've never been, but now I want to... Nice photos!

Comment

Wish I could post a video. None of those bat photos do that experience justice. It has to be experienced. I would hope ever Texan gets to do something like this some day.

Comment

cool experience!

Comment

Working...
                      X